Any worship guitarists willing to share some presets?

I've been really digging the Two-Rock's lately into this cab:
4x12 PRE-ROLA 75 M160 (ML)

It's Cab # 055 on the AxeFX II. Not sure where it is on the AX8.

Memory Man (Mind Guy) delay
FAS Boost
Deep Space reverb for major lush ambience

Anyone have a clean AC30 block\preset? So many of the default AX8 amps are edge of breakup or heavy distortion.

The input trim control really helps me clean up many of my tones. The setting will really depend on the pickups you're feeding the axe with. I tend to have mine set somewhere between .6 and .8.

I've been stuck on the Suhr Badger 30. If the axe fx didn't exist then this would be my goto church amp. Forgot what cab IR I used last night but it might have been one of Misha's mixes from Cab Pack 13.

Hi I am new on here and I play worship for a small Church, just saw this hasn't had anyone post since December. Anyone created anymore presets for P&W since the last few posts?

The key parts are your various drive/gain stages and the delay configuration in each song.

My template (built on Axe FX II, with intention to port over to AX8) consists of a compressor, two low/med gain drives, amp/cab, two delay blocks (in parallel unless the patch calls for serial delays like 1/4 into dotted 8th), a parallel MultiDelay Plex Shift into a filter for shimmer (on the Axe FX II, I'd also put that chain into a fully wet reverb), and a parallel reverb at the end (Studio C with high modulation on X, Deep Space with high decay on Y).

Since I haven't had the chance to test this on the AX8, I also plan on keeping around 2-3 of my favorite analog drives with a loop switcher, to free up CPU if necessary.

Basically I only change the delay flavor, tempo, and modifiers in each preset (one preset per song). Most presets I'll have several scenes for different sections of the song, enabling/bypassing compression, drives, delays and shimmer as necessary.

Occasionally I'll add something entirely different that's necessary for the song. For example, this Sunday I'll have a preset for Paul Baloche's "O Come All Ye Faithful". I added a post-amp pitch block (Fixed Harmony) with the mix attached to my expression pedal, so toe down mixes in a major 3rd harmony on some of the lead lines.

For the amp, I've been really digging Deluxe Verb Vib, the recently tweaked AC30TB, and the Matchbox (Matchless) DC-30.

Great information. Can you elaborate on the "fully wet reverb". I'm not clear on what you are describing. What part of the chain is going in to reverb, just the MultiDelay? Or more?

I am running in to CPU issues and am considering a couple of outboard drives on a loop switcher. What do you have in mind? I have used switchers from both Disaster Area and One Control.

Great information. Can you elaborate on the "fully wet reverb". I'm not clear on what you are describing. What part of the chain is going in to reverb, just the MultiDelay? Or more?

I am running in to CPU issues and am considering a couple of outboard drives on a loop switcher. What do you have in mind? I have used switchers from both Disaster Area and One Control.

So my comment about putting a MultiDelay into a "fully wet reverb" was referring to what I do on the Axe-Fx II. By "fully wet" I mean the mix is at 100%. I have a regular reverb for the main chain of effects and a separate reverb the shimmer. Only the MTD hits it.

However, since posting this I've discovered a good workaround for the AX8 - run your main reverb in parallel with the main chain. Set it at 100% mix (as you would with any parallel effect) and set the input gain to taste. Connect it back to the main chain or to the Output mixer if it's the last block.

Next, add a MultiDelay block in parallel with your main chain, also at 100% mix. Put it somewhere before the reverb (even before drives if you want it to stay clean). But, don't connect the MultiDelay back into the main chain. Instead, connect directly to the reverb block (add as many shunts as necessary). Set the MTD input gain at 100% and increase the level until you get a shimmer volume that you like. It will be very reverberated without having to use 2 reverb blocks. :) I'll take a screenshot when I get a chance - a picture will describe the layout better.

For the record, now that I've played several gigs with an Axe, I've decided that MultiDelay Plex Detune is a lot more pleasant and "Blue Sky" than Plex Shift. I used to use the Line 6 Octo shimmer on everything but I guess I'm falling out of love with reverb that's shifted an octave up. Heresy.

For the loop switcher, I'm looking at MIDI-controlled compact switchers rather than a combined loop switcher/footswitch like the Disaster Area stuff. That way, I can keep the switcher hidden under my board and use scenes on the AX8 to turn stuff on and off (via MIDI program changes).

The 3 that I'm contemplating are the RJM Mini Effects Gizmo (pricey), the Voodoo Labs HEX (6 loops), and the Decibel Eleven Loop Expander (fairly cheap). I'm waiting until I actually get my AX8 to deem it necessary (although I'm guessing it will be). It also means I need to buy a whole bunch more Lava cable. Ugh lol.

Has anyone tried external drive pedals in the AX8 FX Loop? Is there more noise compared to running them pre the main input?

So my comment about putting a MultiDelay into a "fully wet reverb" was referring to what I do on the Axe-Fx II. By "fully wet" I mean the mix is at 100%. I have a regular reverb for the main chain of effects and a separate reverb the shimmer. Only the MTD hits it.

However, since posting this I've discovered a good workaround for the AX8 - run your main reverb in parallel with the main chain. Set it at 100% mix (as you would with any parallel effect) and set the input gain to taste. Connect it back to the main chain or to the Output mixer if it's the last block.

Next, add a MultiDelay block in parallel with your main chain, also at 100% mix. Put it somewhere before the reverb (even before drives if you want it to stay clean). But, don't connect the MultiDelay back into the main chain. Instead, connect directly to the reverb block (add as many shunts as necessary). Set the MTD input gain at 100% and increase the level until you get a shimmer volume that you like. It will be very reverberated without having to use 2 reverb blocks. :) I'll take a screenshot when I get a chance - a picture will describe the layout better.

For the record, now that I've played several gigs with an Axe, I've decided that MultiDelay Plex Detune is a lot more pleasant and "Blue Sky" than Plex Shift. I used to use the Line 6 Octo shimmer on everything but I guess I'm falling out of love with reverb that's shifted an octave up. Heresy.

For the loop switcher, I'm looking at MIDI-controlled compact switchers rather than a combined loop switcher/footswitch like the Disaster Area stuff. That way, I can keep the switcher hidden under my board and use scenes on the AX8 to turn stuff on and off (via MIDI program changes).

The 3 that I'm contemplating are the RJM Mini Effects Gizmo (pricey), the Voodoo Labs HEX (6 loops), and the Decibel Eleven Loop Expander (fairly cheap). I'm waiting until I actually get my AX8 to deem it necessary (although I'm guessing it will be). It also means I need to buy a whole bunch more Lava cable. Ugh lol.

Has anyone tried external drive pedals in the AX8 FX Loop? Is there more noise compared to running them pre the main input?

Thanks! That all makes sense. I'll put a couple of drives in a loop and let you now how it sounds. I have run a BB Pre in front of the AX8 and it sounded fine (no noise). I haven't tried drives in a loop in the middle of the chain.

Thanks! That all makes sense. I'll put a couple of drives in a loop and let you now how it sounds. I have run a BB Pre in front of the AX8 and it sounded fine (no noise). I haven't tried drives in a loop in the middle of the chain.

I'm considering it so that I can do some pre-drive-FX on the AX8 (wah, Eb drop shift, other drives) before the external drives. If I was going to also run an external reverb I'd use the loop for that and forego the flexibility.

I guess I may take a little different approach for P&W. Instead of tweaking my tones to fit each song I just be myself. I use a very touch sensitive train wreck express and a Suhr standard into a simple chain of effects. I use delays and verb sparingly. I like to sound like a guitar not back keys. I never ever ever use gain staging with drive pedals. It is really tough to beat the raw sound of a train wreck express IMO

I guess I may take a little different approach for P&W. Instead of tweaking my tones to fit each song I just be myself. I use a very touch sensitive train wreck express and a Suhr standard into a simple chain of effects. I use delays and verb sparingly. I like to sound like a guitar not back keys. I never ever ever use gain staging with drive pedals. It is really tough to beat the raw sound of a train wreck express IMO

This is what I do too. I've played/toured with worship bands and "regular bands" (lol) around the world, and I always just set up my rig the same way. I have a handful of amps that accomplish different things, so I'll pull up whatever preset contains the basic amp vibe I'm going for in a given song, then I have scenes set up for 1. Clean, 2. Clean with delay/mod/whatever (or clean with a slight breakup edge to it), 3. Crunch (heavy crunch, for rhythm), 4. Lead. That way at any point in any given song I can adjust scenes to suit the part of the song I want and the tone I want. The lead, for example, is always set up a bit louder than the other scenes, and is EQed to cut through the mix. Every preset has an expression pedal set up for volume, both for between songs and for volume swells, etc. Works fantastic for me. The only time I really deviate from this is if we're doing something that requires a very specific effect, specific delay type, etc.

I use a Matchless AC clone, a Twin Reverb, a Freidman BE, and a Bogner Extacy because I love Luke's new tone. I don't use too many sounds as the way that I have to eq them to cut through in the mix starts makeing them sound the same anyway or they just don't fit sonically with my praise band. It's all about the mix.

I play for Brandon Heath and Jason Gray, here's my main 2 patches that I build off of for each of those artists. The Jason Gray one was used on some songs I tracked on his new record...I use a Strymon BigSky in the FX Loop, and either a Tele or a Strat, so you might need to tweak, but it's at least the starting point for me on all the CCM gigs I do. I hope it helps!

Attachments

• JG 2016.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 100
  • BH dly and verb.syx
    27.6 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom