Any way to "test drive" an AxeFx?

mnjordan

Pretty much just what the title says. Since I couldn't seem to find a list of dealers on the main site, I'm assuming that the Axe is sold direct only.

I am 99% sold on the AxeFx, but it would great to get a chance to actually plug in to one before I drop that kind of coin. I guess I'm out of luck?

mnjordan said:
Pretty much just what the title says. Since I couldn't seem to find a list of dealers on the main site, I'm assuming that the Axe is sold direct only.

I am 99% sold on the AxeFx, but it would great to get a chance to actually plug in to one before I drop that kind of coin. I guess I'm out of luck?

Forget that 1% and let it drives you instead while you wait for it. :)

Yes. Go to guitar center and imagine all of it in a 2 space rack unit. :) no really I have no idea, I wish I knew

With most gear you are blown away at first and then the honeymoon wears off. I got my AXE about two weeks ago, at first it was cool, but I wasn't just blown away. The more I dig into it and use it the more blown away I get, amazing piece of gear.

A 15 day trial comes with every black box.

That's the only real test you'll need to determine if it will work for you.

kschreifels said:
With most gear you are blown away at first and then the honeymoon wears off. I got my AXE about two weeks ago, at first it was cool, but I wasn't just blown away. The more I dig into it and use it the more blown away I get, amazing piece of gear.

You know, that's totally true. I know I only have five posts, but I've been lurking here for quite some time. Your advice is pretty spot on with a lot of what I've read here - people having to get familiar with the Axe before they really are able to tailor it to their wishes.

Most owners on this forum are happy to give demo's as well. Chances are, there may be an Axe-Fx owner on this forum, or Gear page, who lives relatively close to you.

What city & state do you live in?

supersecretjim said:
Most owners on this forum are happy to give demo's as well. Chances are, there may be an Axe-Fx owner on this forum, or Gear page, who lives relatively close to you.

What city & state do you live in?

I'm in Ruston, LA. I need to edit that in my info.

I am in Birmingham, Alabama. That's about a 5-1/2 to 6 hour drive. Do you have an airport in/near Ruston? There might be a cheap business flight.

Before purchasing my Ultra I drove a couple of hours and got a hands on introduction. Time in front of the unit with someone that knew more about it than I did sealed the deal for me.

I am well acquainted with the Axe at this point. I gig with it seven nights per week and I am very conversant with most of its features/controls. I believe I could dramatically shorten your learning curve so as to make your trial period more productive. If you can find your way to Birmingham I will spend as much time with you as you would like.

Just pick one up. Granted it will take you longer than 15 days to realize how great it can sound and how versatile it is, but you can get what you paid for and more by selling it on ebay if for some strange reason you're not impressed. Believe me the clips don't really do it justice, cause you can't experience the tube amp-like sensitivity and feel it has.

If you decide to pick one up for trial, have a good full range/response system to use with it. You won't get the full effect driving a pair of computer speakers or a combo amp.

I have had my Axe-Fx Standard for just over a week.......my advice.....beg, borrow, or steal.....sell all the other overhyped guitar processors you may have.....and order an Axe-Fx. Think of it as a test drive.....but trust me, you will NOT be sending it back. This thing is as close to the holy grail as I have come for sure.
I have been playing for 35 plus years......have a studio full of just about every supposed latest and greatest.....Pod Pro, Pod Pro XT, Digitech GSP1101, Rockmans, GSP2101, Marshall JMP-1, etc.... as well as Marshall and Mesa amps, and Amp Farm.....and I can tell you without question, this thing is in a class of it's own.

mickdoo22 said:
I have had my Axe-Fx Standard for just over a week.......my advice.....beg, borrow, or steal.....sell all the other overhyped guitar processors you may have.....and order an Axe-Fx. Think of it as a test drive.....but trust me, you will NOT be sending it back. This thing is as close to the holy grail as I have come for sure.
I have been playing for 35 plus years......have a studio full of just about every supposed latest and greatest.....Pod Pro, Pod Pro XT, Digitech GSP1101, Rockmans, GSP2101, Marshall JMP-1, etc.... as well as Marshall and Mesa amps, and Amp Farm.....and I can tell you without question, this thing is in a class of it's own.

I almost thought you're gonna say kill too. :D

Nah.....you've got to draw the line somewhere! ;)
My point is....it is always a risk when you have to order something blind without ever having heard it in person.....but in this case, it's a risk worth taking and worth every penny. This thing is well built, very high quality, and is extremely versatile. I believe the flexibility doesn't really even show itself until you really get to know it inside and out.
Take for instance the Digitech GSP1101.....it takes about 4 hours with that unit before you have reached the limits of what it is capable of. I know for me, adding the beta C48 firmware enabled me to coax some extremely usable sounds out of it....but it still has massive limitations and there are no ways around them. With the Axe-FX, I amazed at the depth of this thing and the possibilities. It's going to take a very long time before I have explored all of its capabilities.
In my opinion, the presets are fairly tame....and while they do a decent job of showing some of the things this unit is capable of, they don't really scratch the surface. A 1 hour in store demo or a 15 day trial won't change that. I believe the true power of this unit is only found after really getting inside the thing and customizing to your style and preferences.
I know it has me losing track of the hours and really enjoying playing at the moment.....so it's worth every cent.

mickdoo22 said:
I know it has me losing track of the hours and really enjoying playing at the moment.....so it's worth every cent.

I know what you mean. I've had mine for only three weeks, but I think this honeymoon period might last forever. Other than my 335, this is the best musical purchase I have ever made. I can't put my guitar down. The tones are badass. My guitar has never sounded as good....and I can't help but be inspired. I've been playing like a mad man.

I've only touched the surface of this thing. JUST WOW!

Dumb question here....I've tried some of my own presets, and tried some from Axe-Exchange. I'm noticing that the volume on my own and a good many from Axe-fx are quite louder than the regular presets. I'm not seeing anything, to my untrained eye, that helps me understand. Just curious...for those that create a preset, and it puts your mixer in the red, how are you taming the signal without loosing the tone?

Thanks, in advance!

play4quarters said:
"this is the best musical purchase I have ever made".

I seriously wonder how many times this statement has been posted or spoken out loud ?. Having seen it posted and having posted and said it my self several times for me is a standing testament as to why people asking this question should buy the Axe without having ever played through it 15 day trial period or not... bring the cool aid friend ;) .

Back
Top Bottom