Any way to accurately EQ out frequencies?

Velokki

Inspired
I have a problem in my room; some very specific frequencies tend to boom, like 117hz - 127hz.

The Graphic EQ doesn't let me specify these frequencies. 125 gets close, but I'd rather "comb out" most aggressive spikes. I would love to cut out 117 hz for example. Kinda like Fabfilter style.

Is this possible?

I have a problem in my room; some very specific frequencies tend to boom, like 117hz - 127hz.

The Graphic EQ doesn't let me specify these frequencies. 125 gets close, but I'd rather "comb out" most aggressive spikes. I would love to cut out 117 hz for example. Kinda like Fabfilter style.

Is this possible?
you need to use the parametric eq for that. this video should help

Note that you will have both nodes and anti-nodes in your room at different locations.

Play a 117Hz tone and walk around your room. It'll be boom and bust.
Yeah it definitely is. I should have one wall completely covered in some kind of acoustic material - now it's just empty. That wall is the main culprit.

Is this possible?
If it's related to room modes, EQ won't fix it.

Fairly old article (originally posted over a decade ago) to which I'll defer to Ethan Winer, who addressed it back in 2014 with the author himself.
I read the thread and it doesn't look like he addressed anything, someone brought proof and he simply disagreed with it. I don't think that's a strong argument either way, but the data supports the claim while I have no reason to take his opinion as fact.

If you've done everything you can to treat a room and you've still got a room mode problem at one spot, for example sitting in a chair in a mixing position, room correction eq can help reduce the problem at that position.

If you've done everything you can to treat a room and you've still got a room mode problem at one spot, for example sitting in a chair in a mixing position, room correction eq can help reduce the problem at that position.
Then you didn't peruse Ethan's response thoroughly, as he specifically stated:

"A room has three distinct poles and an EQ can adjust only one at a time. Room reflections arrive at our ears from three sets of opposing boundaries (in a rectangle room), and EQ can only change the frequency response emitting from the speakers."

DanDan's response? He didn't know rooms had poles.

Then you didn't peruse Ethan's response thoroughly, as he specifically stated:

"A room has three distinct poles and an EQ can adjust only one at a time. Room reflections arrive at our ears from three sets of opposing boundaries (in a rectangle room), and EQ can only change the frequency response emitting from the speakers."
It sounds like he was referring to correcting various listening positions in a room simultaneously. The blog post was about a 9-seat home theater and Ethan's sentence just before the one you quoted is:

"The reason I don't accept that the low frequency response and ringing can be reduced globally around a room using EQ is because rooms are more complex than EQ."

EQ to correct what you hear at one position isn't "globally around a room".

It sounds like he was referring to correcting various listening positions in a room simultaneously. The blog post was about a 9-seat home theater and Ethan's sentence just before the one you quoted is:

"The reason I don't accept that the low frequency response and ringing can be reduced globally around a room using EQ is because rooms are more complex than EQ."

EQ to correct what you hear at one position isn't "globally around a room".
Okay, and if you read their earlier exchange, DanDan states, "Eq does shorten modes and it does improve response over usefully wide areas", so the scope of his claim extends beyond the listening position.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom