New User

Rolf1

Arggg
I just (finally) hooked up my new FX3 Turbo and yes I've been reading/watching all the instructional material and have a couple basic questions:

Amps - I Want a Fender Twin Reverb but see nothing in the massive library that lists it or even eludes to it. Do I have to grab the plug-in from a third party like I would my Logic DAW?

Same goes with any kind of Cab. Where's that library/block?

It's looking like once you have your basic unit set up you need to start adding blocks to it?

Sorry for the remedial questions.

Thanks

Arggg
I just (finally) hooked up my new FX3 Turbo and yes I've been reading/watching all the instructional material and have a couple basic questions:

Amps - I Want a Fender Twin Reverb but see nothing in the massive library that lists it or even eludes to it. Do I have to grab the plug-in from a third party like I would my Logic DAW?

Same goes with any kind of Cab. Where's that library/block?

It's looking like once you have your basic unit set up you need to start adding blocks to it?

Sorry for the remedial questions.

Thanks
The Twin Reverb is called the Double Verb on the Axe-Fx III. Go to preset 004 for starters.

and yes I've been reading/watching all the instructional material and have a couple basic questions
Must have skipped section 5 of the manual that addresses how to navigate the presets, how the grid works and preset examples.

A quick search for 'building preset axe iii' on YouTube yields many videos that will walk you through the process. I would suggest beginning with Rosh Roslin's videos, very knowledgeable and easy to follow videos. Leon Todd is another great one for tutorial videos.

I would also suggest bookmarking the Fractal Wiki https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home , it is full of information that will help shorten the learning curve. If you haven't already, download the manual and use your computer's search function to quickly find what you need.

Must have skipped section 5 of the manual that addresses how to navigate the presets, how the grid works and preset examples.

A quick search for 'building preset axe iii' on YouTube yields many videos that will walk you through the process. I would suggest beginning with Rosh Roslin's videos, very knowledgeable and easy to follow videos. Leon Todd is another great one for tutorial videos.

I would also suggest bookmarking the Fractal Wiki https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Axe-Fx_II_Wiki_Home , it is full of information that will help shorten the learning curve. If you haven't already, download the manual and use your computer's search function to quickly find what you need.

No, I didn't skip over it. I even reread just now and there are some specifics that it doesn't address. I also haven't been using the front panel for navigation but rather the editor on my computer via usb since day 1. I don't know if that was a wise decision on my part but it's easier for me to see it more clearly. The manual appears to be written for front panel navigating and not doing it on the computer screen. That could be part of the problem with the learning curve.

You can’t load any other amp models. Any other amps could only be an existing amp-type that has been tweaked.

No, I didn't skip over it. I even reread just now and there are some specifics that it doesn't address. I also haven't been using the front panel for navigation but rather the editor on my computer via usb since day 1. I don't know if that was a wise decision on my part but it's easier for me to see it more clearly. The manual appears to be written for front panel navigating and not doing it on the computer screen. That could be part of the problem with the learning curve.
  1. Open https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets.
  2. Search for “twin”.
  3. Go to the Preset picker, and find that preset name and select it.
The front-panel of the modeler is like the front door to a mansion. The editor is useful in its own way but it’s not the primary access to the modeler so learn to use the front panel; your future self will thank you. You can ALWAYS use the front panel to adjust how the modeler works, but you can only use the editor when you have a computer attached by the USB cable, and some things are easier to do using the editor, but some things can only be done via the front panel.

Last edited:
  1. Open https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Factory_presets.
  2. Search for “twin”.
  3. Go to the Preset picker, and find that preset name and select it.
The front-panel of the modeler is like the front door to a mansion. The editor is useful in its own way but it’s not the primary access to the modeler. Learn to use the front panel; your future self will thank you. This is because you can ALWAYS use the front panel to adjust how the modeler works, but you can only use the editor when you have a computer attached by the USB cable. Some things are easier to do using the editor, but some things can only be done via the front panel.
"...but some things can only be done via the front panel".

This is what I'm beginning to realize.
Thank you.

"...but some things can only be done via the front panel".

This is what I'm beginning to realize.
Thank you.
And some things only in the editor, but the vast majority of controls are available either way.

Personally, I wanted to be familiar with the front panel, since I'm not likely to have a computer with me out of the house, so that's what I learned first. But these days I mostly use the editor, since it's more convenient in general, and easier to see the big picture.

You just don't know how to operate the space ship yet. ;)
It's super easy, though.

You have your signal chain as a grid; from there you can choose whatever amp + cab + whatever to your signal chain. Double Verb is the amp model, and it sounds 100% like the real thing (I've owned one, haha).

It's like using your DAW for the first time. You just wanna record guitars but can't get any sound coming in. I know the frustration, but once you get through it, you'll never look back!

There's a learning curve that depends on what you used before and, mainly, on what you need to know. Name of amps, pedal and so on can not be the exactly the same as the real thing but with it's written in the Wiki and in Yek documents everything can be linked easily. Editor/Bot is great to manage presets (include backup and restore, something I suggest you to try and regularly do) but if you plan to you your gear live take some time to learn the front panel. Obviously IMHO...

Welcome! I often play with these two pages open:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amplifier_models_list

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Cabinet_models_list

This way I always know what the Fractal model names are referring to, and it's quick and easy to get more info if I want.

I highly recommend the front panel. I actually prefer it for many things, especially turning knobs. I stay on the front panel for almost everything I do. It was utterly alien to me when starting out, but as I acclimated to the way Cliff thought about it in his design, it's now a piece of pie, or as easy as cake (2010 is not a good movie, but I love that line). Believe me, every bit of the structure of this piece of kit pays off for the musician. Even though it takes a bit to get used to. Like one thing for me to understand was the concept of a speaker impedance curve being part of an amp, and not part of a cab! But there's solid logic there, and unbelievable flexibility.

And as far as the amp models included, one thing to keep in mind is that, beyond the very very large number of amps, both well known and obscure, that Cliff has recreated, most amp and pedal designs are relatively small tweaks of other people's designs, so chances are, if there's some weird amp you've always wanted, you can take one that's already in the Axe-FX III, apply a few knob turns, and recreate that sound. Just create a thread on this forum and some amp maniac will know how to get there.

Best of luck in your journey!

Back
Top Bottom