Any tentative idea on when the AxeFx IV and the subsequent FM line updates are coming? (Looking to buy the FM3 but not sure if I should wait)

Im sure everybody hates buying a thing then seeing the next gen announced a couple of months later.
FM3 looks like the perfect option for me for the level of a player I am and the room I have, plus its quality and the relatively cheaper price compared to something like the Quad Cortex or Helix.

However, with AF3 being almost 5 years old Im fearing the next gen is around the corner. Should I wait until NAMM? Have there been any news/rumors?
I havent kept up so excuse me if this sounds dumb or repetitive.

My use case is home usage for playing/recording/rehearsing with occasional gigs when our band is active. Currently I have a Mooer GE200 but one of the switches crapped out and while I can try repairing it Ive just decided not to settle for less and replace it with a top dog device. I dont want the bigger units as I keep the processor on my PC desk and also for the cost. Will most likely get the exp pedal with the FM3 as well if I get one.

What would be your best advice regarding this?

Thank you.

Fractal will not give timelines for product lifespans, nor should they. That’s a really bad business tactic, especially in a product like theirs.

Get the FM3+FC6. Use Edit to control it at home. Use the FM3+FC6 and the built-in OMG9 layout when playing out.

There are a lot of people still using their older units. It’s not like they suddenly start making horrible noise or quit working when a new model comes out, they work just as well as they did previously. Fractal designs their units for professionals on the road, even the FM3, and stands behind their work. Their support is amazing.

Last edited:
Given the resale value holds up very well for Fractal devices I wouldn't hesitate. The FM3 would work very well given your use case. The AF3 is a beast, even at 5 years old. Nothing out there can compete with it.
^ this.
The FM3 is wonderful! Everyday I fill the same joy at the first chord I hit!

Even if a new one will come out... you'll enter in a list and you'll have to wait another year or 2...
So... hit the button! you'll not regret!

I dont want the bigger units as I keep the processor on my PC desk and also for the cost.
Regarding this…

The FM models are designed for the floor, not the desk. The editor will do about 99% of the things that are possible on the unit itself, but has added functionality that makes it more convenient to use for daily management of the unit, so consider keeping the unit on the floor and save the desk space. It’s a very good idea to be familiar with the front panel of the unit though, in case you need to adjust something when the editor isn’t available. The interface is not that hard to learn.

The FM9 is the best all-around choice for power and price especially for live use, and is the equivalent of the FM3+FC6 as far as size and switching capabilities. The FM3+FC6 is a more flexible design and is more portable; you give up some processor power, but I don’t think anyone could tell the difference by listening.

Thanks for the good answers.

Couple of points:
Reselling will be hard for me considering where I live where there arent many guitar players to begin with, and even fewer whod consider a 1000$ device, although the Fractal name might have a stronger pull.

The FM models are designed for the floor, not the desk

Im actually trying to save floor space as I need it for race sim pedals and/or a subwoofer. On the desk it will take the place of the Mooer and will have a more or less equal footprint, so no worries there.

With the recent addition of the FM9 tot the Fractal family that is in the same product family as the AxeFXIII mk2 and FM3, I expect that this platform will be used for at least another few years.

At some point in time we could expect performance upgrades like FM3 turbo etc, but I do not expect launch of a next generation platform before the whole global supply chain issues are resolved.

As far as I can see, the demand for multiple Fractal products still exceeds supply so from that perspective there is no urgent need for putting a successor on the market.

No idea but except for a big chip availability subject I don't imagine a totally new product generation until at least 2-3 more years. Medium life cycle has been 6-7 years for the first two generations.
BTW I could I would not hesitate tu buy even an axe fx II, just for the double synth/pitch/double Amp feature that are not available on fm3 and for amps only on FM9. Also the rack format has the advantage that with a good midi or footcontroller you have less cables around your feet than with a floor processor logically

Having just passed on on my turn for an FM9 in favor of keeping my FM3, I might be helpful. I calculated that by selling what I had to sell, I'd be able to get the FM9 for an additional $250. The added power and functionality was just not compelling enough for my particular use case, recognizing my needs may be simpler than the needs of many.

Are there times I wish I had a good 20% more CPU? Never in a gig setting, and never in a recording setting. Only when I'm kitchen sinking a preset beyond any real practicality in the middle of the night baying at the moon.

I also have a specific disease, which is 4-5 buttons max at my feet during a gig. I'm just not that coordinated, and KISS works wonderfully. I just don't see the FM3 starting to sound like ass in 3 years. It will sound as good as it sounds today (hopefully with a few more firmware upgrades, but even without). I'm still hemming and hawing about the FM9, but I passed on it and haven't even come close to sending that begging e-mail to put me back on the list. That's got to tell you that this 2 year old unit has very long legs.

If the FM3 meets your needs, buy it. Not to mention they are on sale. Fractal keeps improving the product with every firmware release. And the previous floor model (AX8) is still maintaining its resale value. The risk is LOW for making a mistake. Besides, the Fractal products have a REAL power cord!

Having just passed on on my turn for an FM9 in favor of keeping my FM3, I might be helpful. I calculated that by selling what I had to sell, I'd be able to get the FM9 for an additional $250. The added power and functionality was just not compelling enough for my particular use case, recognizing my needs may be simpler than the needs of many.

Are there times I wish I had a good 20% more CPU? Never in a gig setting, and never in a recording setting. Only when I'm kitchen sinking a preset beyond any real practicality in the middle of the night baying at the moon.

I also have a specific disease, which is 4-5 buttons max at my feet during a gig. I'm just not that coordinated, and KISS works wonderfully. I just don't see the FM3 starting to sound like ass in 3 years. It will sound as good as it sounds today (hopefully with a few more firmware upgrades, but even without). I'm still hemming and hawing about the FM9, but I passed on it and haven't even come close to sending that begging e-mail to put me back on the list. That's got to tell you that this 2 year old unit has very long legs.

Great answer, thanks. Its gonna pretty much be the same with me, I just have a huge FOMO and tend to get the top end stuff whenever possible, but Im also starting to think more practically and the FM3 fits my needs perfectly.

I bought an AxeFX II XL+ on sale (back in the day) and two months later the Axe III came out. I was fine with the II for a long time.
Couple of months ago I got the FM9 waitlist invite and so that's where I'm at now. It's both fun an pain to get presets moved over and new ones added, so a NextGen would really have to be soooo much better for me to move again any time soon.

I see a lot of FM3 sales. If that's what you're after anyways, now is the time to jump on it.

As far as product lifecycle, IMO there's a long way to go until the next (hardware) generation.

Great answer, thanks. Its gonna pretty much be the same with me, I just have a huge FOMO and tend to get the top end stuff whenever possible, but Im also starting to think more practically and the FM3 fits my needs perfectly.
Thanks. FOMO is a big part that's got me thinking about the FM9 in the first place, but keeping the utility of the unit top of mind helped. The FM3 does what I need it to do better than anything else I've ever owned, which is to get me through two long sets sounding great and without having an amp or cabinet to schlepp. You won't be sorry. There's a virtual crowd in this forum telling you the same thing!

• What do you need?
  • What do you expect in the future?
  • A device even more realistic and close to a real amp or pedal that you probably never had/used?
  • More different effects, when you will probably use in most cases just a delay, reverb, and a few modulation effects?
The goal should be to have the ability to create the tone you need regardless of what inspired it. And you can already do that at top-of-the-line levels even with FM3. With the current product line you can pretty much create a tone from scratch.

And even if a new device will be released it doesn't mean that it will necessarily be so revolutionary to push you to sell the old one (look at Apple...).

Last edited:
Another thing to consider is that Fractal have a history of continuing to provide updates for years. If you look at each generation of the Axe FX II, the firmware updates released for the very last gen also worked on the very first gen. Even if they release new hardware, they've tended to keep release updates for the old hardware too. Not just bug fixes either, but all of the modelling improvements, so long as the older hardware can handle it.

I've had a III for just over 3 years, and I was lucky enough to get in on the first batch of FM9, and I'm confident that I've got years of runway left on both of them. I'd even considered selling my III and getting a III mk2 Turbo to take advantage of FullRes IR, and would still expect I'd have years of support and updates, even after the next gen came out.

Last edited:
  • What do you need?
  • What do you expect in the future?
  • A device even more realistic and close to a real amp or pedal that you probably never had/used?
  • More different effects, when you will probably use in most cases just a delay, reverb, and a few modulation effects?
The goal should be to have the ability to create the tone you need regardless of what inspired it. And you can already do that at top-of-the-line levels even with FM3. With the current product line you can pretty much create a tone from scratch.

And even if a new device will be released it doesn't mean that it will necessarily be so revolutionary to push you to sell the old one (look at Apple...).

Id like to be able to recreate the tones of some of my fav bands that have a specific sound, like Korn, Meshuggah, or being able to replicate the tones from other modelers/VSTs like the Neural DSP. Sure there are close presets for the Mooer or whatever, but Ive never had a moment when I was like "this is it, this is the tone". I hope to be able to achieve that with Fractal products.

(1) I think there was a post by Matt that due to the current state of the world (shortages, etc.) FAS would concentrate on developing their code more for a while. OTOH, with FAS you never know... ;)

(2) AFAIK, in 2023 people from the waitlist will still be receiving their FM9. I feel it could be seen as quite offensive if a new line already came as early as 2024. When you do your best to get the newest device a.s.a.p., you tend to hope it will not be "annihilated" within even more than a few years (sure, a flagship version of a new IV is in another class, but still... — it could seriously stall development of the previous gen).

(3) There might be quite a wait for a much faster chip. Going with one that is just 20% faster seems silly. OTOH, I guess it's not impossible that some kind of variation may see the light (1U w/o major LCD, etc.).

If you do fear a new gen might be "imminent," get a 2nd hand unit for now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom