Any tentative idea on when the AxeFx IV and the subsequent FM line updates are coming? (Looking to buy the FM3 but not sure if I should wait)

wrt 3rd pty IRs - standardized metadata is what I'm articulating here and in other threads - which is not impossible, just takes some partnership, cooperation, leadership, and effort across multiple parties. I think it would yield a lot of benefits for modelling users (and for IR makers also I guess as they could sell more IRs)
You can't even get pickup manufacturers to agree on the same pickup wire colors.

You can't even get pickup manufacturers to agree on the same pickup wire colors.
funny you mention that - tore my hair out on the last set of pickups I installed as I could not find any documentation on which color was which. I finally broke out my dust covered multi meter, did some reading, and learned how to determine what wire is what. Now I don't care about the colors lol!

Oh not at all, amazing discussion and Im using the chance to research on the concepts youre talking about.
one of the benefits you'll have, owning Axefx, is that you can come here any time of day or night and engage in interesting guitar gear nerd banter! (well, u can without Axefx also, but it's more fun with).

Last edited:
yes - I used the word "handshake" to refer to that electronic interaction. Sorry for the hack term.

but I don't choose an IC irl - I choose a speaker, put it in a cabinet, and connect the cab to a tube amp head at the right load setting and it interacts accordingly. I do not have to figure out or estimate the IC of the cab and set it somewhere (or choose it from a list).

Right...but once you move to a Fractal device there's no power amp, and the interaction you are talking about doesn't even occur with a SS amp. Which is why I'm saying with a Fractal device used with a power amp and real cab, you can select/emulate it today, I mean it currently defaults to the standard cab one would run with a given model already. These devices can not know what lies outside the box, that's like expecting it to dial in the right settings for a single coil vs humbucker based on the resistance the guitar is providing, just can never happen. In the box with an IR...again selectable due to IRs being a wav file generally, now the propriety sysex format Fractal uses could potentially store that meta data and makes some automatic changes...but IMHO that's unlikely to occur outside a new in-the-box cab engine which doesn't allow loading random IRs (like the factory Line 6/Neural stuff).

Right...but once you move to a Fractal device there's no power amp, and the interaction you are talking about doesn't even occur with a SS amp. Which is why I'm saying with a Fractal device used with a power amp and real cab, you can select/emulate it today, I mean it currently defaults to the standard cab one would run with a given model already. These devices can not know what lies outside the box, that's like expecting it to dial in the right settings for a single coil vs humbucker based on the resistance the guitar is providing, just can never happen. In the box with an IR...again selectable due to IRs being a wav file generally, now the propriety sysex format Fractal uses could potentially store that meta data and makes some automatic changes...but IMHO that's unlikely to occur outside a new in-the-box cab engine which doesn't allow loading random IRs (like the factory Line 6/Neural stuff).
I guess I'm not communicating my thoughts well on this one. I perfectly understand that Axefx cannot know what's connected externally, so for real cab use via SS power amp, the only way to get the IC value to be known inside Axefx, is for the user to measure it, or know it, and input the IC parms into Axefx.✅ I'm clear on this concept and I've not suggested above (at least not intentionally :oops:) that Axefx should be able to do this. It can't determine anything about devices it's plugged into, and can only determine limited detail about what's plugged into it.✅

I'll express my thought another way which maybe is clearer - here goes: The process of using Axefx with Amp Models and IRs could be made more realistic to the equivalent analogue experience by automating the selection of a precise IC that goes with the amp and IR models combination chosen by the Axefx user. This could be done by embedding IC information, measured by the IR capturer, into cabIR metadata which would then be available for use by the amp models processes.

That's all I'm getting at - I guess I use the word modelling too loosely, - in my previous post comments I think of modelling as describing the whole process of using Axefx modelled Amps with IRs - not just the mechanics of power section programming. For the whole process to mimic real life as the end goal, IC selection needs to be automatic since we don't choose an IC in real life when we plug a real cab into a real tube amp with resulting correct unique interaction between them. And yes, embedded IC metadata would seem to be the only way at least that I have any grasp of in terms of basic understanding.

So we seem to kind of agree there is a opportunity to advance either 1) in a proprietary way via creating a Fractal grown IR selection process that includes the handoff of embedded IC info into the amp modelling, or, 2) in the case of 3rd pty IRs, to have a standard storage format for IC metadata inside IR packages, which can be extracted by modellers in a standard way when 3rd pty IRs are selected. I agree #2 would would be difficult given the coordination required. Even #1 would be challenging as it would put Fractal more into the IR capture game which the 3rd party IR providers have supported a lot here. In addition, either #1 or #2 would require IR makers (Fractal and/or 3rd Pty) to start capturing detailed IC info whenever they shoot a cab. So ya - challenging, but nothing Fractal's done to this point's been easy I guess, yet here we are with a lot more than many expected re superior accuracy/functionality in the current state. WRT to SS Pwr Amp and real cab, neither solution will solve anything on that, though I and others have expressed desire for some helpful user IC slots where real cab measurements could be input / stored.

Most future feature speculation doesn't excite me too much but this particular one does because of how dramatic the effect of ICs are (my presets sound stinky without them - I'm IC addicted lol!), and how even though ICs are a great improvement that's made my patches come alive, ICs can make IR selection challenging since, in order to audition IRs accurately, I really should be applying a correct IC curve to each audition as I go along given that the different speakers and cab types I'm auditioning may well require different associated ICs (some IRs may even have their own baked in ICs). It's just not practical to do that, so I audition a bunch of IRs under one IC, then at the end, I pick a possibly different IC, more correct to my final IR choice than the one I started with at the outset of my IR auditioning, which may possibly have a dramatic effect on the sound of my final IR choice - but now I may not like what that final, logically correct (from IC description) IC does, and so I may start auditioning ICs by ear against my final IR choice (now I'm essentially into EQing my IR with IC selections), but maybe I should go back and audition IRs again because maybe the starting IC that I auditioned all those IRs under, was not the best IC to use ... ... ... around and around ... ... - the IC functionality is totally awesome addition, but I think needs to go further. How likely is it to happen? - dunno: depends on the business case I guess.

Last edited:
I don’t know maybe we will see a powered version of the Fractal
Like the Kemper , so you can plug it in straight to the cab ,

I would think the 4 will have a bigger focus on GUI and UI
Kind of a Fractal version and interpretation of the ease of use style line6 employs , but their own layout A bigger screen w Axe edit on the unit , IOS editing

These are all just guesses and I am sure FAS will probably come up with something unexpected that’s what usually happens

Get the FM3,
you will not regret it!
I still have access to 3 AX8's. Even today those are great little units!

Seize the day. Be present in the moment. Putting off a purchase of whichever Fractal product you're interested in today, because of worrying about possible future models, is a no win game. And even if an Axe-Fx lV does appear sometime in the years to come, there will still be some people wondering about holding off until a possible MKll coming out. Let's enjoy the fine products which Mr. Chase and his team have already provided for our guitar community. Let the future unfold itself as it does in every other facet of our lives, and deal with that future when it becomes the present.

What would be your best advice regarding this?

So I'll chime in here., but maybe I'm an extreme case lol

I'm still using and Axe FX 2 (mark1) after upgrading from an Ultra. The 2 has been discontinued for what, 3 or 4 years now? I've enjoyed the evolution of it from day 1. As good as the Ultra was, it was still early in the quest to replace my 'real" amps. Somewhere during the life of the 2 it did. "real" amps became a fun novelty with the Axe FX taking care of all my needs. While somehow, newer firmware kept improving, for me it was diminishing returns.....and I mean that in a good way. How much more 'real' could it sound? And while each firmware DID improve, it was something I didn't even know I wanted until I heard it. And Fractal continued support and some "gift" firmware updates well after the newer model was released.

Here's the crazy thing. As long as I've been using this gear, sometimes I hear a tone on a Youtube amp demo or album and I want to recreate it. Seems every time I dig into tone chasing with it I find MORE to be excited about. It's hard for me to fathom the idea that I'll run out of creative potential. In all fairness, while I do dabble in ambient sounds and some of the crazy special effects, 90% of the time my presets are pretty simple. Amp/cab delay/reverb and a mod or two available. In fact that is what I LOVE about the Axe is how good the raw amp tones are that unlike some other brands, I don't need anything else to make it sound good

All this praise is coming from someone using what is now well outdated gear without hope of moving forward. And while I do have a level of curiosity as to what the latest sounds like, I'm actually more interested in the current hardware. I think I'd like a floor unit for my current needs, and all the improved firmware and such is just a bonus. In fact I HOPE that it's so good I say I wish I'd done it sooner, but on the same token if I don't it doesn't matter.

And lets not forget if I feel the fm3 or 9 will replace my rack unit, used prices will probably pay for the 3 or a good chunck of the 9.

So my long winded reply here (hey it's a rainy Saturday and I'm internet surfing lol) is get the gear now. If it's right for you, it will never be wrong. Something updated WILL come out at some point, but yours will never be obsolete if it meets your needs.

Satriani recorded his latest album with a Tech21 PSA-1 pro-tools plugin that is so old it's no longer sold or supported by anyone on any platform.
He's got an older Mac that is set up the way he likes, so he just keeps using it. It works well for him.
Joe sells a lot of records, t-shirts and fills theaters. He can afford whatever he wants.

My point? He's using obsolete technology because he gets how it works and he likes it. That is all that matters.

"New does not mean best."

Satriani recorded his latest album with a Tech21 PSA-1 pro-tools plugin that is so old it's no longer sold or supported by anyone on any platform.
He's got an older Mac that is set up the way he likes, so he just keeps using it. It works well for him.
Joe sells a lot of records, t-shirts and fills theaters. He can afford whatever he wants.

My point? He's using obsolete technology because he gets how it works and he likes it. That is all that matters.

"New does not mean best."
I like the Slipknot quote in the end lol.

Back
Top Bottom