Any PEQ tips, tricks and hints?

Atmospheric

Inspired
I was wondering if any of the more advanced users had any PEQ tips, tricks and hints (or blocks) they wanted to share.

I generally prefer parametrics to graphics because you can use 2-3 filters to simulate a pattern that might take 10 filters with a graphic. Admittedly, most of what I'm seeking is general knowledge of which bands to cut and boost, not something specific to Fractal. But there's not much useful info out there. Or at least not much that I've found. That surprises me. Maybe pros are reluctant to give up their secret settings.

For a clean strat sound (ala early Knopfler) I'm boosting slightly at 400Hz and 600Hz, and cutting slightly at 2.4KHz. 600Hz is the resonant frequency of the EMG Gilmour PU set mid boost, so that seemed like a good place to start. The mid boost helps equal out the PU settings with each other, and provides a nice thickness. The upper mid cut is mostly a way to make settings 1, 3 and 5 less honky and nasally. But interestingly enough, I find that the quack settings 2 and 4 need that upper mid content to sit in the mix right.

Anyone fool around with attaching an ext controller to a PEQ frequency setting so you can locate a freq easier?

Thanks for the link.

Can anyone explain blocking? How is blocking different from shelving?

Last edited:
On a related note, check out the Tilt mode of the Filter block.

Tilt EQ is surprisingly musical if you've never tried it.
I have not tried that. But I will. Thanks!

For the most part, I'm not really doing crazy stuff with the FX8. Mostly meat and potatoes guitar tones. But I am really digging the granularity and sophistication of the tool. You can really get stuff exactly right with the FX8, then move on to another preset and completely optimize things for that preset. Not really possible with analog boards. You run out of real estate, and you end up compromising on settings that work best for most tones, not the best settings for each tone.

Back
Top Bottom