Any hi-gain amps that clean up really well when the GAIN is toned back?

Georgy

Inspired
As per title guys..

Are there any amps, that are typically hi-gain, that actually clean up really well when the gain/drive is rolled right back? The Shiver, whilst it's not a hi-gain amp is IMO way better than the JC120, I find the JC120 a bit on the m'eh side of things if I'm being honest, so I'm just curious to know if there are some amps out there are are good for the above.. Yes, we know, the cab/IRs will play a part in this, however I think you get the idea..

Cheers

The Plexi 50w high works very well for me. Love that amp. The guitar has a lot to do with how well it cleans up as some pickups seem to loose the complexity at very low gain. I play using the volume knob all the time so when evaluating a guitar, this is very important to my choice of instruments.

A guitar with a treble bleed cap at the volume pot should work good here, because when you roll back the volume the lows get more reduced than the highs, so you still have an audible signal but a lot of the energy ( and a lot of the distortion) is gone. In case you're are after fat and round clean sounds, the high gain sound you start from has to be very fat as well.

It's not high gain, but can get pretty hot - I'm loving the Dumble ODS. Cleans up to beautiful when guitar is rolled back to 3 or 4 - especially when using center pick up combinations. Real nice.

All the Friedmans clean up very well. Unless you put a drive in front of the amp or use an insane amount of gain, any high gain amp will clean up.

Isn't this really a concern only for tube guys? The Axe FX is the ultimate no compromise channel switcher

A guitar with a treble bleed cap at the volume pot should work good here, because when you roll back the volume the lows get more reduced than the highs, so you still have an audible signal but a lot of the energy ( and a lot of the distortion) is gone. In case you're are after fat and round clean sounds, the high gain sound you start from has to be very fat as well.
great advise, i love the treble bleed mod and have it in most of my guitars, it makes the volume pot so much more functional for me and you can get out so much more different tones out of the guitar.

Another recommendation is the Dirty Shirley. I had a gig last night that primarily focused on modern country tunes, but with some more classic ones thrown in as well. Given that I knew I was not going to have the time to try out multiple patches at gig level during sound check, I wanted just one patch that could pull off a heavy crunch tone, but clean up well for the twangier songs. I auditioned many amps on my monitors at home cranked up, I ended choosing the Dirty Shirley despite having never really played this model before. Between the volume knob, playing dynamics, and a boost pedal for solos, the Dirty Shirley was a great fit for the gig.

Isn't this really a concern only for tube guys? The Axe FX is the ultimate no compromise channel switcher

I don't think it's just for tube guys at all. I often want to roll back on the volume and clean it up slowly, so do many other people. The ability to change your gain with just your volume knob or a volume block before the amp is a magical thing =)

Back
Top Bottom