Any experiences with DIY adding a piezo bridge?

Zwiebelchen

Fractal Fanatic
Hey guys. I'd really love to get a piezo equipped electric guitar. So off to the internets I went - but couldn't find any satisfying models that weren't extremely expensive.

The only model I really digged was the Piezo equipped Musicman Petrucci model. But with over 3 grands, way too expensive for my needs.
There were also some really nice Parkers models with a lower price range (and I would really love to try out the carbon bodies, as I am working for the carbon composites industry), but damn, I absolutely hate the headstock design of Parker guitars, so those were a no-go for me.
The third choice was a Duesenberg Starplayer TV plus. But I already own a TV (without piezo) and I wouldn't want to get another guitar of the same model just for the piezo (though I could possible get in contact with Duesenberg and request them to upgrade my guitar with the piezo system).

So I came up with the solution to upgrade one of my electrics with a piezo bridge.

Any experiences on this? Is it recommended to try it DIY? Or better go to a professional guitar maker?

I fitted a Graphtech LB63 bridge (piezo loaded Floyd Rose trem) to my Custom Shop Strat along with Hexpander and Acousti-phonic preamps, 13-pin jack, etc. Had to do some routing to get all the electronics in. It's a great solution but a DIY job might not be for you. In fact, with hindsight I would have had it done professionally. One slight problem is that the 13 pin plug doesn't lock into the jack socket properly, although it works fine. You also need to thoroughly clean the pins and holes of the 13-pin plug and socket with switch cleaner to prevent ghost notes begin triggered when the jack is moved/bumped.

I added piezo saddles to my Strat.

Read and follow through the instructions. It takes a little bit of time but in the end it is worth it over paying someone else to do the work for you.

ive fitted a piezo to my gibsons, its really easy, i just run the wire under the pickup ring save drilling etc

I bought a Brian Moore on Ebay and fitted it with a Graphtech Floyd, Acoustiphonic and Hexpander kit.

I fitted a Graphtech LB63 bridge (piezo loaded Floyd Rose trem) to my Custom Shop Strat along with Hexpander and Acousti-phonic preamps, 13-pin jack, etc. Had to do some routing to get all the electronics in. It's a great solution but a DIY job might not be for you. In fact, with hindsight I would have had it done professionally. One slight problem is that the 13 pin plug doesn't lock into the jack socket properly, although it works fine. You also need to thoroughly clean the pins and holes of the 13-pin plug and socket with switch cleaner to prevent ghost notes begin triggered when the jack is moved/bumped.

Where is a good place to get these parts in the UK?

Cheers.

Didn't Shotgunn make a thread about installing one about a year or two ago with pics and everything?

Nice thread! I'm definitely gonna read it; thanks for the link!

So the general consensus here seems to be to DIY this... I'm still not sure wether I should give it a try. I guess it depends on what the guitar maker wants for adding a piezo to my guitar.

EDIT:
I'm still confused, though... Do I need a preamp in my guitar for the Piezo bridge to work or is it enough to just exchange my 1/4" jack with a TRS jack and connect the wires from the Piezo to the Ring of the jack?

I don't need any switches or a tone control; just want the Piezo sound from a seperate output so that I can route it to the IN1-R of the Axe and then mix it to my liking.

Last edited:
Send it to shotgun to have done. Trust me. He does great work and the process that mine ended up going through I could never have done on my own. Especially the wiring and threading those tiny cables through the guitar. Plus, he ran mine separate from the magnetics so that the mags didn't get colored by the preamp. As far as i know you need the preamp. There has to be some type of adjustability of the piezo. The preamp has a gain adjustment. Then the piezo runs off a 9volt

Make sure you run it stereo. Also, I added a switch so that I can choose to run the pickups separated or blended. And what I do is keep the switch in the blended position and set up all my presets with a mixer so that magnetics are left and piezo is right. From here I can control my piezo with my mfc and never have to use the guitar on the switch. It's all done with the foot controller.

Make sure you run it stereo. Also, I added a switch so that I can choose to run the pickups separated or blended. And what I do is keep the switch in the blended position and set up all my presets with a mixer so that magnetics are left and piezo is right. From here I can control my piezo with my mfc and never have to use the guitar on the switch. It's all done with the foot controller.
Why do I need it stereo? Oo
Also, I don't need blending or a switch to turn the Piezo off. I just want an extra 1/4" for the piezo and then use the Axe to blend it as much as I like it. Do I really need tone controls for a Piezo bridge?
What would a piezo bridge sound like without a preamp or tone controls (in other words: directly wired to the output)?

Also, I can't send my guitar overseas just for installing a piece of hardware that is less than 100$.

Why do I need it stereo? Oo
Also, I don't need blending or a switch to turn the Piezo off. I just want an extra 1/4" for the piezo and then use the Axe to blend it as much as I like it. Do I really need tone controls for a Piezo bridge?
What would a piezo bridge sound like without a preamp or tone controls (in other words: directly wired to the output)?

Also, I can't send my guitar overseas just for installing a piece of hardware that is less than 100$.

The Graphtech piezo needs the preamp to work.

I didn't realize you were overseas.
You don't need tone controls but a volume control is nice. Also, I chose to have one stereo jack instead of two mono jacks. That way you can have one stereo y cable that splits to two mono into the axe. Or two wireless units like I do. I guess you don't need a switch but its nice to have if you're ever using it without the axe.

I've did my homework and read some articles about wiring Piezo bridges. There actually were some good schematics around from piezo bridge manufacturers.
Seems like I neither need tone controls, preamp nor any other electronics (they are nice to have, but I'm totally fine with changing the tone and volume through the Axe).

Now I just need to check how to get the Piezo bridge wire through the body to the output jack. Most people on youtube drilled a hole in the bridge humbucker seating and pushed the cable through there so they don't need to damage the wood top.

Anyways, I ordered a piezo bridge now and will install it as soon as it arrives.
Let's see how it turns out, lol.

Back
Top Bottom