Any ever see this happen? Loose part

Any ever see this happen?

Heard something moving around in case and opened it up to find this guy loose........

1-1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

My MFC arrived with a tiny bypass capacitor floating around in it (probably) caused by rework from the factory on a wire jumper.

Just be careful, you might end up in the 1800's if you turn it on without the flux capacitor installed correctly.

I've got about a million really horribly corny Back to the Future jokes if anyone is really interested. I figured I'd spare us all the pain. :)

Just be careful, you might end up in the 1800's if you turn it on without the flux capacitor installed correctly.

I've got about a million really horribly corny Back to the Future jokes if anyone is really interested. I figured I'd spare us all the pain. :)

Nooooooooooo...................... Shasha!!!
Give us one more joke, will you?!
You can´t let us live on with all the ignorance!

Haha right!!!

My MFC arrived with a tiny bypass capacitor floating around in it (probably) caused by rework from the factory on a wire jumper.

It happens ......emailed the pics to support got a out of office reply till the 9th.......the wait begins lol would just send the unit in but better wait for a RA number haha

Looks to be some kind of capacitor.....any nerds know what it is or how they connect/or fall off? lol

It's a surface mount electrolytic capacitor that gets soldered to pads on the circuit board, ie, no holes in the board. I can see in this case it got whacked because the pads ripped clean off the board and are still soldered to the capacitor (has a dull coppery finish). Too much heat can cause the pads to separate from the board making it easier for this to happen, especially since the circuit traces connecting the pad are only like 5-10 mil wide. Geek out!

It's a surface mount electrolytic capacitor that gets soldered to pads on the circuit board, ie, no holes in the board. I can see in this case it got whacked because the pads ripped clean off the board and are still soldered to the capacitor (has a dull coppery finish). Too much heat can cause the pads to separate from the board making it easier for this to happen, especially since the circuit traces connecting the pad are only like 5-10 mil wide. Geek out!

Whacked? I never had it opened, surely it has not been this way the whole time? Hmmm IDK.....Its been in a 4 space rack since new could moving the flight case around do this? Never slammed around always used both hands on case rack....

Whacked? I never had it opened, surely it has not been this way the whole time? Hmmm IDK.....Its been in a 4 space rack since new could moving the flight case around do this? Never slammed around always used both hands on case rack....

It's entirely possible inertia caused it to finally break off. As I mentioned excess heat when the device was soldered could have lifted the pads (maybe it was reworked and hand soldered) leaving only the tiny traces to retain the cap in place. I'm only speculating based on my experience as an engineer with such things. It may very well have been broken before you received it from FAS and only noticed it now. Anyway it needs to go back for them to repair it. They're awesome on service.

It's entirely possible inertia caused it to finally break off. As I mentioned excess heat when the device was soldered could have lifted the pads (maybe it was reworked and hand soldered) leaving only the tiny traces to retain the cap in place. I'm only speculating based on my experience as an engineer with such things. It may very well have been broken before you received it from FAS and only noticed it now. Anyway it needs to go back for them to repair it. They're awesome on service.

You rock bobby g......

Thanks everybody...

Contacted support yesterday......hope it is an easy fix, dont look like it though.

Looks like I might be on hold till mon 9th as they are on vacation for the holidays.......anyone ever send your unit back without an RA#? Would be nice to have it on its way and save a few days out of commission.

Might not be a hard fix it but won't be pretty if they don't replace the board IMO ;) I'd send it just to save on the extra days being without the unit if you really want it back quicker. If you do decide to send it, they ask that you not include the power cord & manual and write the RMA on the box, maybe put RMA-TBD :) Also include a sheet describing the problem with your return address. Good luck!

I agree with bobby_g. At one point this capacitor almost certainly took a light blow from the side. Could have been during assembly. (I.e., bumped by the butt end of an assembly tool) It obviously only caused hairline cracks initially. Then, as bobby_g said, inertia from some kind of a normal bump, rack jarr, blow, or whatever (likely in it's rack mount the unit was held firmly and when subjected to the blow or bumps, it was the weak link and simply let loose.) - (you know, like when you went 4x4ing with the rack laying in the bed of your truck.... LOL) I agree fully that this type of break would most likely have been initially caused by a light blow from the side of the capacitor. IMHO (was a Vishey Tech years back - we have seen it all)

Might not be a hard fix it but won't be pretty if they don't replace the board IMO ;) I'd send it just to save on the extra days being without the unit if you really want it back quicker. If you do decide to send it, they ask that you not include the power cord & manual and write the RMA on the box, maybe put RMA-TBD :) Also include a sheet describing the problem with your return address. Good luck!

I hope the board is replaced then...want my guts to look good too LOL Ill def check that and make note. Thanks on manual and cord info saves a little shipping and the manual is not tied to the unit in the event they just send me a new one :) Im sure either way my presets are gone........note: Back them up anything can happen lol

I agree with bobby_g. At one point this capacitor almost certainly took a light blow from the side. Could have been during assembly. (I.e., bumped by the butt end of an assembly tool) It obviously only caused hairline cracks initially. Then, as bobby_g said, inertia from some kind of a normal bump, rack jarr, blow, or whatever (likely in it's rack mount the unit was held firmly and when subjected to the blow or bumps, it was the weak link and simply let loose.) - (you know, like when you went 4x4ing with the rack laying in the bed of your truck.... LOL) I agree fully that this type of break would most likely have been initially caused by a light blow from the side of the capacitor. IMHO (was a Vishey Tech years back - we have seen it all)

Good to know and LOL on the 4x4ing..

You know I think the day in the future in the movie was last week...

Back
Top Bottom