Any (early) Rush lovers with patches willing to share?

yyz67

Fractal Fanatic
I'm still in my 15-day trial with the Ultra. I'm not sure if it's for me (I really want the "live amp in a room feel/sound) and the Reactor FR is still a ways out.

But... does anyone have some early Rush patches, i.e. 2112, Hemispheres, La Villa Strangiato, The Trees, Spirit of Radio, YYZ? I can tweak the Limelight patch a bit, but it's still too compressed for some of these. I'm playing a Les Paul and an AmDlx Tele.

Thanks!

I'm getting old. Early Rush to me is Fly by Night and just Rush. I use a strat style guitar and the Fly by Night patch was spot on in my rig.

Fly by night is early Rush too (I like the first 2 albums for sure). But since I grew up in the 80's, 2112 through Grace Under Pressure was my nuturing ground (but they lost me with Power Windows).

I've tried the Fly by Night patch but it seems tinny to my ears (or in my setup). But there was something about Lifeson's sound in the mid-80s and earlier that was so full and just perfectly distorted. The tones from Hemisphere's and Moving Pictures seem to capture that.

yyz67 said:
mesaboog said:

Yes, that too! But I really liked the distorted tones. In leiu of chorus he would also layer 2 or 3 guitar tracks.

I've always had a hard time getting the right amp/distortion combo for his tones and it drives me nuts. I really want to develop some sounds for Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure periods.

Syrinx said:
I've always had a hard time getting the right amp/distortion combo for his tones and it drives me nuts. I really want to develop some sounds for Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure periods.

I'm new to the Axe, but it seems like most of the amps (at least on the presets) have a lot of high-end content even with bright switch turned off. Lifeson tended to have more rounded/clear distortion tones without a lot of sizzle. Grace Under Pressure has a lot more high end, but it's not piercing or fizzy. There's a lot of compression that might help tame it too.

I've read (here and on gear page) that some user/3rd party (RedWirez) IR's seem to have more realistic rolloffs in the high end. Maybe off-axis IR's can help? Or maybe getting deep into the amp settings...?

[attachment=0:ay2hc96x]Rush 77.syx[/attachment:ay2hc96x]
Well, this is a patch I have been working on to replicate Alex Lifeson's live rig for Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, and Permanent Waves. At the time, Alex had moved from his JTM45 and Twin with JBL's rig to HiWatt's, and he was using the Hiwatt Custom 100's(DR103) with three heads over four cabinets. I had the pleasure of seeing Rush live from the 14th row during the Permanent Waves Tour, and I'd have to say his sound was loud and ugly from what I remember even though his playing was great. The Hughes and Kettner rigs that he's been using lately have been the best that I have heard from him and are much better than what he was using then.

Based on diagrams I have seen of his live rigs at various stages in his career on the net, I have modeled this setup with parallel dirty and clean amp blocks. The dirty amp has the MXR Distortion Plus in front of it which had to be eq'ed to make it less snotty. Since Alex rarely turns his masters above four, a large part of his distorted sound comes from the germanium diodes in the MXR distortion plus. To get the top end shimmer, I have put a chorus with a triangular wave LFO on back end of the clean amp. That represents the characteristic tone of the Roland Dimension D that appeared around that time although I could probably spend a little more time tuning it. I've also put a tape echo on the back end to represent the Roland Space Echo. The rest of the stuff is diagnostic stuff. The cabs are my own special recipe of the Redwire HiWatt SE4123-Fanes IR's which is:
HiwattSE4123-Fanes-R121-Cap-0_5in.wav,.4522
HiwattSE4123-Fanes-KM84-CapEdge-0_5in.wav,.4521
HiwattSE4123-Fanes-TC30-Back-0in.wav,0.0955

I still have to add a wah to the front and Alex's Electric Mistress Analog Flanger to the signal path.

My next project with respect to Rush will be to modify this setup to the 1981 Moving Pictures tour setup which added Marshall 4140 combos to the back line. When I started researching this part, I thought the Marshall 4140's were there to added more depth to the distortion, but research has revealed that the 4140's were actually Marshall's answer to the Fender Twin. Upon listening to Moving Pictures through Grace Under Pressure concerts, I have come to the conclusion that the 4140's actually replaced the HiWatt's in the clean side. Since no 4140's exist on the Axe-FX yet, I have been experimenting with a JTM45 with a Blackface tone stack based on the wiring schematics for a 4140. So far, it comes extremely close to the Moving Pictures sound when put in parallel with a HiWatt.

BTW, the guitar I was using for this patch is a PRS Hollowbody I with the 1957/2008 pick ups which has a bit of similar sound to the Alex's ES-355 Stereo when the varitone is off. The Axe-FX Ultra is routed through a pair of Atomic Reactor FR powered Cabs.

Attachments

• Rush 77.syx
    2 KB · Views: 328
It seems to me that Lifeson would be one of the best people to have using the Axe-fx... he was always trying new toys along the way. Wasn't there even a Lexicon "Alex" out at one point?

Yes, he sounded amazing on the Snakes and Arrows tour - Hughes and Ketner Switchblades and Tri-amps, although I have no idea when he was using one over the other.

Here's my present take on the Bastille Day tone. I used a mahogany bodied Custom Shop Strat with a Bare Knuckle VHII bridge humbucker, into a VHT 2/50/2 and 2x12 V30 cab.

For some reason I can only get the GC30 amp model to sound right for this tone, and it still isn't quite chimey enough. :|

Attachments

• 295 - Bastille Day.syx.zip
    546 bytes · Views: 3,373
JMZ93 said:
It seems to me that Lifeson would be one of the best people to have using the Axe-fx... he was always trying new toys along the way. Wasn't there even a Lexicon "Alex" out at one point?

Yes, he sounded amazing on the Snakes and Arrows tour - Hughes and Ketner Switchblades and Tri-amps, although I have no idea when he was using one over the other.
According to Bobby "Bucky" Huck, Alex's Tech on Snakes and Arrows, Alex's primary left and right were the Triamp MkII ALSE's. He was using the Switchblades when he wanted to have the presence of multiple instruments. This was on the Rush Backstage Secrets DVD. Unfortunately, that was about as detailed as it got on that DVD.

Re. my Bastille Day patch... Does anyone know which guitar Alex used on this track? Could it have been the Strat he used on Lakeside Park? I can't achieve the same 'quack' using my guitar that he gets (3:51 - 4:03). My US Strat sounds better for this bit but doesn't sound as good on the main riff. :|

Stringtheorist said:
Re. my Bastille Day patch... Does anyone know which guitar Alex used on this track? Could it have been the Strat he used on Lakeside Park? I can't achieve the same 'quack' using my guitar that he gets (3:51 - 4:03). My US Strat sounds better for this bit but doesn't sound as good on the main riff. :|
Probably, a Telecaster for some of it. I remember reading a GP article where he talked about using a Telecaster for the clean parts on some of the early recordings. His favorite during the time period of Caress of Bronze(Steel) was a ES-335DOT. So, it is most likely it's one of those or both.

Dancing Frog said:
Probably, a Telecaster for some of it. I remember reading a GP article where he talked about using a Telecaster for the clean parts on some of the early recordings.
Wow. Really? I'd always assumed it was the 335, but my Tele certainly provides more quack, and the main riff sounds much better with that guitar.

javajunkie said:
Love to hear you doing some Rush :D
Seriously, I really enjoy your playing.
You're too kind, Java. :oops:
I'd love to make some Rush covers but only if I can find quality backing tracks. I guess I'll take a closer look at that list on guitarbackingtracks.com

Back
Top Bottom