Any Beyer Dynamic DT770 Pro advice ? Axefx2 sounds kinda dull.

Hi,

I'm practicing quite a lot using these headphones. Got my Axefx2 since about a week, but I don't know, I find a lot a patches sound kinda dull and a bit lifeless.

Cab sims and amp sim is on. Patches have cabs in them. Firmware 11.05. was completely reset at G66. Using front Headphone jack.

Any advice ? Maybe a global eq setting in the end.

Thanks

I'd sell it and get something else, this isn't for you obviously.

Don't mind responses like this......I have DT880 Pro's and they sound amazing through the axe. Are you listening through stock presets? Maybe try just an amp and a cab block, and see what you think.

Don't mind responses like this......I have DT880 Pro's and they sound amazing through the axe. Are you listening through stock presets? Maybe try just an amp and a cab block, and see what you think.

+1

And maybe add some room in cab block? Helps here.

Tweak and ye shall find. I have DT770 pro's. Sounds awesome.

The. Magic is in the cab sim. Find out your favorites and substitute here and there. Many here including me like the basket weave tv mix. It may be a good place to start

The AxeFx stock presets are a showcase. Many different tastes, preferences, guitars, setups and situations need to be accounted for. Also many presets exist to show off possibilities more than be useful in music. Only stands to reason that most will not be exactly what you wish/expect to hear. Also the AxeFx is very sensitive to what comes in.

the AxeFx is a specialized and professional tool. You need to set it up to have it work for you.

Hi, thanks, I tried some presets from scratch, or a base presets in my alley, but I kept finding it sounded as such, so I thought I was overlooking something. I'm gonna try the room.

The 770 is supposed to be quite FR right ?

I tried them and returned them - although it was not because I thought they were dull sounding (they sounded really good to me).... BUT I think they need a headphones amp with the Axe. You might want to consider something with a lower impedance.
Dutch brings up a good point about cab sims too. They make a huge difference in the highs you hear - especially through headphones like the 770.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks, I tried some presets from scratch, or a base presets in my alley, but I kept finding it sounded as such, so I thought I was overlooking something. I'm gonna try the room.

Yes. I forgot to add, that you should experiment the Room parameters in the cab block, as well as the air parameters and mic distance. I find these to help immensely with headphones.

I think the 880 is more balanced and neutral.

I have the 770s and I found that adjusting the room parameters made a big difference to me. I set the room level to 53.1 and room size to 3.34 to try to mimic sitting in front of a cab.

I'd sell it and get something else, this isn't for you obviously.

Really? Only a matter of time before heartless comments like these found their way to these forums.

Keep at it! I know I've gone through that stage myself, even regretting my purchase of the Axe-FX. However, after about 6 months now(slow learner? lol), I am really starting to dial in some stellar tones. Be patient and understand that it's not a magic box, there is definitely some skill involved(on your end) when it comes to crafting tones that specific to your axe and your play-style.

Just know that there are many great people in the axe-community that will gladly do whatever they can to help you on your way!

Hi,

I'm practicing quite a lot using these headphones. Got my Axefx2 since about a week, but I don't know, I find a lot a patches sound kinda dull and a bit lifeless.

Cab sims and amp sim is on. Patches have cabs in them. Firmware 11.05. was completely reset at G66. Using front Headphone jack.

Any advice ? Maybe a global eq setting in the end.

Thanks

What guitar and Pickups you using? I use EMG 81's in most of my bridges, . I use the DT 990 PRO openback and they sound absolutely amazing on the stock 11x presets. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard, It has custom Seymour Duncan's the SH-1 and SH-5 and again the stock presets sound great.

Two of my favorite stock presets right now are the "5150 red" and the "Brit Pre" both found in bank B of the 11x factory presets. I like the 5150 for a nice crunchy rhythm and the brit pre I just turn on the boost and the saturation for leads.

Last edited:
Some very nice advise here, thanks! Appreciate it! ;) With my previous Ultra about a year ago I was quicker up and running with the same 770's.

I tried them and returned them - although it was not because I thought they were dull sounding (they sounded really good to me).... BUT I think they need a headphones amp with the Axe. You might want to consider something with a lower impedance.
It is the 70 Ohm version.

What guitar and Pickups you using? I use EMG 81's in most of my bridges, . I use the DT 990 PRO openback and they sound absolutely amazing on the stock 11x presets. I also have a Gibson Les Paul Standard, It has custom Seymour Duncan's the SH-1 and SH-5 and again the stock presets sound great.

Atm an Ibanez JS1000 with a Dimarzio Paf pro and a Fred because I played it the most the last weeks. Going to experiment with my JEM 77VBK (Dimarzio Breed, sound quite fat, really hot 14k). Or a Washburn N4 with Bill Lawrence L500's which send my Plexi + EP booster right into early VH tone.

I think the 880 is more balanced and neutral.

This.

I had some DT770s for a while and absolutely hated them for use with the Axe. Sounded great for gaming, home theater, and such.

Go over to headphone.com and look at their frequency graph. Bumps in the lows and several cuts from 1.2k to around 6k. Far from flat. To me they had a much more "scooped" type of sound than other headphones that are considered more "flat".

I see them recommended here on the forum quite a bit, which I find really interesting. Guess it's all a matter of what your ears are used to.

Have you compared the sound to when you are hooked up to monitors? Maybe it's the headphones. There can be some discrepancies in the sound.

I have an older DT770 HP and I think they are really great. They're not dull IMO so it might be good to:

- as mentioned already, try different headphones/monitors and compare the results;
- are you connecting the JS1000 directly into the Axe or are there pedals in front of it? Might be cable capacitance that makes the sound dull?

Have you compared the sound to when you are hooked up to monitors? Maybe it's the headphones. There can be some discrepancies in the sound.

I don't have a monitor atm. Looking for a Matrix GT to hook up to a guitar cab and see what happens.

I have an older DT770 HP and I think they are really great. They're not dull IMO so it might be good to:

- as mentioned already, try different headphones/monitors and compare the results;
- are you connecting the JS1000 directly into the Axe or are there pedals in front of it? Might be cable capacitance that makes the sound dull?

JS1000 directly into the axe front input.

I have the 770's. Great headphones, but they will not accurately represent your presets. I also have a xitone 12" active wedge (matrix powered, ev speaker). I play live direct to pa. The xitone wedge is much more accurate and matches closely to what I typically hear out of the various PA's.

I do use the 770's a lot for practice, the axe does sound good through them, just not exactly like real life.

Back
Top Bottom