Any advice on Matrix GT1000FX overload

NMG

Experienced
Hey peeps, I wonder if any of you could offer me advice.

I use a axe fx 2, matrix amp gt1000fx, and a laney IRT 1/12 cabinet.

Recently I been pushing this little thing louder and that purple light on the amp is pretty much solid! And it’s super loud! I can feel my trousers vibrating.

Now this evening I could smell burning from the amp so I assume I’m pushing things too hard. But the volume level I am achieving at this point is right for the band and the other musicians.

Do you thing it would be a good idea to use a bigger cab ie 212? Will this give me more volume without over heating the amp or will the extra speaker load cause the amp to run at half power and so I would need to push even hard to gain the same volume levels as with a 112?

There has to be some issue with either the cabinet or wiring or something. I have a 2x12 with ev 12l's in it - when the purple light starts blinking its beyond loud. Even performing I never have it up that high... I believe that when the light comes on your only using 12% of the power. And an amp should never smell like its burning - it will likely shut down before that point.

So the Laney cab is 80w which is pretty near to a gigging level in terms of volume. The trouble with just using a 1x12 speaker in terms of live use is that you will sometimes have to increase things like bass frequencies to get a good "full" soundor if the cab is on the floor, turn up to hear the cab as the 1x12 won't dissipate sound as well as a multiple speaker cab (unless open backed or similar). This can cause the speaker to go into over excursion or put strain on the voice coil and if it does it can start to short out very slightly in the voice coil (which is trying to work harder and keep up). This can cause the amp damage. Adding another 1x12 or using a 2x12 would be advisable (adding another speaker will give roughly a +3db volume boost). If you can't add another speaker elevate the 1x12 to chest or ear level to help with the volume. Always a good idea to start using a 2x12 or bigger for live situations and the amp will thank you for it as it's working less hard in the long run.

Reactions: NMG
Yeah, I have a gt1000 running 2 2x12s / v30s

really very loud when lights start blinking ... about 102+ dB here

Back
Top Bottom