Any 335'ers Up In Here??

The ES les paul gets my eye too.
A friend of mine picked one up a few weeks ago and uses it when playing with his blues band. He had it plugged into a Peavey tube amp and he was getting a nice tone, right on the edge of feedback, just breaking up the amp’s tubes at full volume on the guitar.

Here are a couple of quick pics. I found one with the wire handle which is uncommon. She doesn't get much playing time lately because I've been getting into using my Roland GR-55. If you can manage the feedback, there's nothing quite like cranking one of these up though; it'll put a smile on your face for sure! :p

View attachment 103830View attachment 103831

Wow. Clearly one of your many daughters needs to hide that dang Roland thing-a-ma-job from you since you clearly
can't control yourself. ;)

You need to be careful putting pickups too low because the magnetic field has a sweet spot for the string to vibrate and if you go too low the dynamic rage of the pickup is affected. On the other side the string can vibrate more freely the lower the magnetic pull. This is not related to the pickup out put it is the strength of the magnet and where it is in the design. Just don't assume lowering is more dynamic and better. Most pickups are actually designed to work best as close as you can get without the magnet field affecting the overtone of the vibrating string and therefore the overall intonation. Experiment and trust your ears . Also neck pickups are far more prone to negative effects of incorrect pickup hight simply because the sting moves far more freely at this point. This is a good reason to put your bridge pickup close because lowering it has no advantage.

You need to be careful putting pickups too low because the magnetic field has a sweet spot for the string to vibrate and if you go too low the dynamic rage of the pickup is affected. On the other side the string can vibrate more freely the lower the magnetic pull. This is not related to the pickup out put it is the strength of the magnet and where it is in the design. Just don't assume lowering is more dynamic and better. Most pickups are actually designed to work best as close as you can get without the magnet field affecting the overtone of the vibrating string and therefore the overall intonation. Experiment and trust your ears . Also neck pickups are far more prone to negative effects of incorrect pickup hight simply because the sting moves far more freely at this point. This is a good reason to put your bridge pickup close because lowering it has no advantage.
I personally find lowering the bridge pup on most of my guitars helpful to get the tone I like. Higher = more output, more mids, more compressed and congested sounding. Lower = less output, less mids, more open and clear sounding. Obviously each pickup has a sweet spot for my preferences; I have a "too low" also. My buddy's Les Paul, on the other hand, has the bridge pup as high as he can get it without touching the strings, and I think it sounds great.

I should add, I've not been able to use pre-distortion EQ to compensate for a PUP too high for my tastes. There seems to be a character imparted to the tone due to height that is more than EQ.

I personally find lowering the bridge pup on most of my guitars helpful to get the tone I like. Higher = more output, more mids, more compressed and congested sounding. Lower = less output, less mids, more open and clear sounding. Obviously each pickup has a sweet spot for my preferences; I have a "too low" also. My buddy's Les Paul, on the other hand, has the bridge pup as high as he can get it without touching the strings, and I think it sounds great.

I should add, I've not been able to use pre-distortion EQ to compensate for a PUP too high for my tastes. There seems to be a character imparted to the tone due to height that is more than EQ.
Yes follow your ears.
I don't think people should try to fix fundamental signal issues with eq personally. Get the best acoustic signal you can and then get your favourite pick up to translate it. If the fundamental character of the vibrating string is not right the pickup is not going to fix it and nor is the amp.

First decent guitar was 74 333. Lucky me. Wasn’t great 335, but I loved it. Lost it in pawn shop deal in late 80s. Then went through a bunch of non 335 semihollows. Ibanez AS200 (great guitar, but sound is very different), Ibanez 3630 (great), Heritage 535 (great). Finally ran across a used 335 that I bought and I love it. Apparently it was first bought by someone who worked at the nicest guitar store where I live. They waited for the right newish one to come through. I’ve played so many mediocre 335s, but this isn’t one. It’s lively and fat. Sounds great across a pretty wide range of clean to mid gain levels. Classic cherry red. I’ll never sell it.

There is a 2019 CS 59RI dot listed on another forum and I want it for the look alone. But I know I wouldnt pick it up. A heritage 335 used may be in the cards some day.

335 - I've wanted one since... salivating over the Caress of Steel album pix as a kid. When I saw Alex use the 355 on FTK (1st RUSH show), it made me love the sound.

Fi-nally, after years of PRS (which I still love) got this '63 RI about 5 yrs ago. After some needed setup, it's now my fav-ourite axe. Would you like something to eat...?

MHS Humbuckers... Supposed to emulate PAF's. Well, I love the neck position one for fat / bluesy / jazzier chords & leads. But (like Alex) I lean on the bridge position most. No sir, I didn't like the MHS there - too ice picky for me. So... I swapped it out for a '57 Classic and it brought out the warm fat singing tone I like. Recommended for anyone who found same tone issue w/ Re-issues. Plus, that's what Alex says he liked in his early Gibsons.

p.s. I have a real '65 Epiphone Crestwood w/ mini PAF's made in Kalamazoo Gibson plant - that thing sounds (and plays) amazing!

Attachments

• Rix-335.png
    Rix-335.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Looks cool! Beautiful instrument.

Hmm. No mods to the bridge saddles either? That, and the nut, might lead to some premature wear and/or string breakage points depending on how aggressively it’s used.

Works well for note/ chord ring-out vibrato Brian Setzer effect?

Lifeson used a Bigsby mercilessly on his 355 but tuning was an issue. You can hear the wound strings creaking across the saddles on FTK leads.

Graphite helps. I use it every time I change guitar strings on the contact points - regardless if it has a whammy or not.

Cool! Used to work in a precision machine shop in a lens company (re-al nice… cameras…), so I’ve done a lot of work on my axes over the years as well. Now, there are some things like fret work I’m happy to just to hand to a Luthier.

Nice PRS btw…

Back
Top Bottom