Another studio monitor thread

ZeeW

Inspired
Hi,

I currently run a pair of Genelec 8240 DSP monitors with room their room correction software, to deal with some room acoustic issues.

Not wishing to go into too much detail, I not very happy with the issues I have with Genelec's software running on my Mac. This has been the case for some time.

So, I'm in the market for a near field monitor to replace the Genelecs. My room is 80m2 and I'll be near field listening. I will at some point be adding a sub, so please keep this in mind.

Shoot with some suggestions :)

Have you thought about more room treatments and keeping the Genelec's?

I don't own them but I've heard great things about those.

Have you thought about more room treatments and keeping the Genelec's?

I don't own them but I've heard great things about those.

My issue is that the Genelec's DSP and calibration software is unreliable with my OSX and I've got fed up with Genelecs approach to supporting Mac users.

I'd like to go more old school with the use of an outboard DAC and powered monitors.

I could do more with room correction but I'd like to look into some other monitors.

As a rabid (OK, maybe let's downgrade that to "drooling but not contagious"...) Windows non-enthusiast, it pains me to suggest this, but... have you considered buying an inexpensive Windows laptop to run the Genelec software (I'm assuming that's their supported platform)? That may turn out to be less costly in the long run than taking a loss flipping the Genelecs for something that works better for you.

Believe me, as a Linux user (I have no OS X or Windows machines) I'm keeping this as an option in case I ever really need access to proprietary software for my music gear.

Do you really need software? After all - you are near field listening and your rooms not tiny. Try them wihout the software, or if it's necessary, get a pair of 8 inch questeds :)

Thanks
Pauly

Do you really need software? After all - you are near field listening and your rooms not tiny. Try them wihout the software, or if it's necessary, get a pair of 8 inch questeds :)

Thanks
Pauly

Pauly,

You may have hit the spot with your comments about Quested. The VS2108 are rather nice and would proably last me for 'ever' without messing around with software updates.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom