Another standard vs ultra thread

trippled

So I tried searching here on the forum and other forums and I couldnt find a definite answer
about which would be fine for my needs.

Basiclly most of the time I'm planning on running it through a poweramp into a cab,
so most of the time I wont need any bab\mic sims on at all.

Though, I would like to be able to call up effects like on a pedalboard and use different amps
through the song.

I also plan on using it for recording in the future and I'd like to try recording with 2 amps going to 2 different cabs mic'd up, maybe with a few fx, not something over the top.

And most importantly: Does the ultra has any advanced editing on the amp\cab models that the standard doesnt have?

Would the standard do all this?

IMO you should go for the Ultra

trippled said:
And most importantly: Does the ultra has any advanced editing on the amp\cab models that the standard doesnt have?
No

trippled said:
I also plan on using it for recording in the future and I'd like to try recording with 2 amps going to 2 different cabs mic'd up, maybe with a few fx, not something over the top.

you would quickly run out of CPU-power with that sort of setup.

So for getting it clear, no one ever succeeded running a dual amp setup on the standard?
What if I'll only use something like: noisegate-drive-amp-eq-cab-mic in a dual setup?

That's bull I have plenty of patches with two amps drive delay reverb eq and comp with no problem. the difference between the ultra and standard is not NEARLY as much as some will have you believe.

jhuggins said:
That's bull I have plenty of patches with two amps drive delay reverb eq and comp with no problem. the difference between the ultra and standard is not NEARLY as much as some will have you believe.

Sorry to give wrong information :( . Since I don't have the Standard anymore, I can't check it. My fault!

I you can afford the Ultra go for it this way you will never have any questions in your mind, but from what you described the standard will handle with no problem. There are plenty of patches I have sampled on my Standard that were created on an Ultra and run just fine. There is only a handful I have come across that won’t. And it usually involves something the Standard just does not have like the synth or vocoder or something like that. Here is a comparison chart of features if you have not seen it already.

http://axefxwiki.guitarlogic.org/index. ... comparison

The Ultra is what it is, but the Standard is certainly not substandard. The only thing I wish my Standard had is the multi-band compressor and even then the compressor it does have blows away anything I have used with a guitar rig in the past. (I’m just use to using multiband in the studio) So really this is no big deal.

My biggest rig ever was 16 spaces filled and either a head or two, the Standard can do what the old rig did and WAY beyond.

When I bought mine I decided to try the Ultra first, I wanted to hear the MBC, quad chorus, and the big delays. I figured I could always send the Ultra back and order a Standard if I felt I had no use for the extra FX.

Well, I kept the Ultra, and have not regretted spending the extra money for one minute. I considered myself a "meat and potatoes" fx guy like most, but some of the advanced Ultra fx are really nice. The only way you are going to know is if you try one.

JWW

Its a tough decision - very tough, particularly when there are other influencing factors (bills / wife / kids). I am in Australia and at the time there was no distributors. I trusted in the words of the forum guys who owned theirs for a few years.

When I ordered my standard, I didnt think I would need the extra effects the ultra offered such as synth, ring mod, etc

You can definitely run 2 amps and cabs no sweat - but what other effects do you plan to use with them? From memory, the biggest CPU consumer (other than amps) is the pitch shifter. From my own experiences in pitch shifting with other products (that sucked), I didnt think i would use the pitch shifter on the axe, but turned out that its really good! I use it on heaps of patches now. I have some trouble fitting this into a dual amp&cab rig alongside the usual effects (compressor, reverb, delay, enhancer, EQs) and will sometimes have to make a compromise somewhere. Usually, the delay goes first as its not integral in my sounds, then I switch from 2 mono cabs to one stereo cab, etc etc.

Because EQs take up so little CPU, you shouldnt have to compromise on the dry tone too much, but you may need to make hard choices if you want to put say chorus & pitch shift together in a dual amp rig.

At the beginning, I could never max out the CPU, but over time you build up an arsenal of "accessory" effects to go with the amp and cab, and you find that the most basic of your patches have like seven blocks filled in and ur running at 85% CPU.

im ranting

anyway, I am very satisfied with the standard. But, If I could buy the "ultra extension pack", I would.

How many ultra users have had regrets?

Best of luck to you to find a 2nd hand ultra - hang in there!

Well, I recently read about the multi band compressor being very usefull for creating heavy tones.

So I'm kind of still on the fence here since I'm a 7 string metal player..
How handfull would the mbc actually be? Should I really go for an ultra
only because of the mbc.?

Back
Top Bottom