Another option for tape delay that sounds similar?

@Thenewexhibit: I know what you are searching for, as my last delay unit I owned was a Timeline before I switched over to Fractal gear. I particularly liked having non-pitched altered delay changes for getting glitchy sounds (particularly when used in conjuction with an external midi source cranking out a stream of tempo changes). Even the digital delay will briefly alter the pitch of repeats, though not as drastically as the tape algorithm. I haven't found a delay option yet that doesn't do this (including some of the other delay types).

Some of Simeon's ambient presets can mimic the glitching behavior using things like multiple delay blocks in parallel, but it utilizes a whole preset worth of processing to get there. Here's a video I made a long time ago demonstrating using random tap tempo messages to glitch playback.

Funny enough, what was once a "non-standard" use of the delay has now become standardized in stomp boxes like the Tensor, Count to 5, and Microcosm (I'm just scratching the surface of that one now). The next question is how to make a glitch pedal function in unusual ways.

It sounds like he just wants it to not glitch out when hit hits his tap tempo?

I'm not really considering the pitch shifting that occurs when changing delay time (whether by the parameter or via tempo) as "glitching," but a modeling of what occurs when changing time on a tape or analog delay. To that end, yes, the OP just wants to avoid this modelled pitch shift.

The desire for the glitching part (e.g truncation/reordering/corruption of sample playback) is just the way that I've explored changing time values, and utilized it with the Strymon Timeline.

Last edited:
Well... that's a realistic model, and an artifact that we actually count on. NOT doing it would be really bad.

One of the best examples of why it's good was Billy Cobham's Spectrum album in the song Quadrant 4, with Tommy Bolin on guitar. Tommy used an Echoplex tape delay, and would set feedback to infinite and play with the tape head distance as an effect, which really made his solos come alive in the recording.

For our purposes with a modeler, you'd want a pedal assigned to the feedback and delay time.

And, the funny thing to me is I heard youngsters on the Internet saying that Bolin did it with a pitch-shift/whammy-pedal... unh-uh. It's all an Echoplex tape delay. Kids!?

I learned about Tommy Bolin years ago when the Ultimate Tommy Bolin box set was released. I was floored! That guy was from another planet altogether!! I collected everything I could find with him on it and still enjoy listening on a regular basis. Very much a tragic loss and unfortunate that more people aren't even aware of him.

I learned about Tommy Bolin years ago when the Ultimate Tommy Bolin box set was released. I was floored! That guy was from another planet altogether!! I collected everything I could find with him on it and still enjoy listening on a regular basis. Very much a tragic loss and unfortunate that more people aren't even aware of him.
Well, I'm guessing I predate you, because he was creating his music and playing when I first heard about him, but his collaborations with Cobham and Mouzon were stunning, scary, good.

Yeah, he was a rocker, but his talent let him cross those boundaries. I think he'd be equal to Jeff Beck now, having proved himself again and again. If Hendrix was still alive with the three of them... maybe toss in Holdsworth, toss in Steve Howe.... I'd be interested in hearing what they'd come up with.

To avoid glitch changing tempo use a digital delay type.
To make it sound like tape/BB, cut high/low to taste, add some drive, add some modulation (I love trapezoidal wave). All within delay block.

To avoid glitch changing tempo use a digital delay type.
To make it sound like tape/BB, cut high/low to taste, add some drive, add some modulation (I love trapezoidal wave). All within delay block.
You can use the Stereo Tape. I does not use the same algorithm as the mono tape, and lo-fi tape. It does what the original poster was asking. When changing tempos it reacts the digital type but has the tone, eq, and modulation settings set for a tape sound.

Well, I'm guessing I predate you, because he was creating his music and playing when I first heard about him, but his collaborations with Cobham and Mouzon were stunning, scary, good.

Yeah, he was a rocker, but his talent let him cross those boundaries. I think he'd be equal to Jeff Beck now, having proved himself again and again. If Hendrix was still alive with the three of them... maybe toss in Holdsworth, toss in Steve Howe.... I'd be interested in hearing what they'd come up with.
Yep, you probably predate me a bit. I was alive when Bolin was making music but, much too young to be aware of him at the time. The immediate correlation I made after hearing him was that her was pretty much a few steps ahead of Beck most of the time...and that's saying something! He had such a gift to go in whatever direction with music that he was inclined to go. As quickly as most people flick a switch, he would change his direction and make it sound "right".

Yep, you probably predate me a bit. I was alive when Bolin was making music but, much too young to be aware of him at the time. The immediate correlation I made after hearing him was that her was pretty much a few steps ahead of Beck most of the time...and that's saying something! He had such a gift to go in whatever direction with music that he was inclined to go. As quickly as most people flick a switch, he would change his direction and make it sound "right".
I'm not sure he was ahead of Beck. Beck has created new styles and sounds that others end up imitating and he continues to be very influential.

Back
Top Bottom