Another Matrix GT1000FX Review

Vhalen50

Experienced
So I finally decided to suck it up and get the real deal, the Matrix GT1000FX.

I started off with pushing my Axe II into a Peavey 5150 2x12 and it was great, but wwwaaaaaayyyy more weight than I wanted to be carrying. I always wanted to get the Matrix, but didnt have the cash or job. Then I decided to repurpose a power amp that I had laying around from a purchase of 15" Genz Benz Subs, a QSC RMX450 power amp. I was super excited to have a more lightweight option but I was never really satisfied with what came out of it. Maybe it was just my user error but the sound was always flat and didnt have any sort of beef or punch to it. It got the job done, but it just didnt have any sense of realism to it, its hard to describe.

Fast forward to now, I retired the QSC along with my rolling 12 space rack for a 4 space travel bag and started using my old Marshall JCM 900 head to power the axe since my QSC wouldnt fit in the rack bag. I finally mustered up the courage to contact Matrix directly and I was shocked at how easy and transparent the sale was. I believe the best quote from the experience while asking them what makes it so much better than X product they said something along the lines of

"The amps are awesome hopefully because we listen to our customers and make the product to suit them, rather than just making a product and then trying to find a market to sell it into"

Regardless I got my GT1000FX and it is hands down the best experience I've had as a musician. The sound that is produced is just pure and beefy. Its everything you'd want your amp to sound like and it responds just like my tube amps of yesteryear. Plus its only 7 or 8 pounds. Its unbelievable how much power is actually inside of this box. I've been using it in stereo mode and only pushing one Marshall JCM900 A Cab and there is still PLENTY of headroom for how loud me and my guys in the band play. Once my best-tronics Cat-5 cable shows up, I can legitimately say that I now have my dream rig.

I honestly can say if you are even thinking about paying for a solid state amp and are considering others for the fact that they are cheaper, there is a reason they are cheaper and you'll probably always be wondering what it would be like to have a Matrix power amp.

I think the entire world gives thumbs up to Matrix as well as Fractal Audio for making the best damn stuff in their respective industry.

Hi there,
It's always good to hear that a client is happy :)
I look forward to seeing a photo of your rig when you get a chance.

My best regards
Matt

Nice rig. I'm considering one of these.
How do you prevent the Matrix from blowing the speakers in the cab?

Dude, looks awesome!

On a quick side, what I do to upload images on message boards is I upload them to ImageShack (using the message board 640x800 option), then copy the URL direct link and inserting them using the "Insert Image" icon (found on top):

matrixaxefx.jpg

PJ

I honestly can say if you are even thinking about paying for a solid state amp and are considering others for the fact that they are cheaper, there is a reason they are cheaper and you'll probably always be wondering what it would be like to have a Matrix power amp.

I think the entire world gives thumbs up to Matrix as well as Fractal Audio for making the best damn stuff in their respective industry.

without doubt or hesitation...
all I can say is...

absolutely..........

https://twitter.com/TLTPatrick/status/302939725315055616/photo/1

https://twitter.com/TLTPatrick/status/302934761926692864/photo/1

I can never figure out how to get pictures to post to the forum without killing their size. I always see big huge pictures and then mine show up in a tiny little bar...

Here you go :)

PatrickLynch.jpg

PatrickLynch2.jpg

Looks good sir.

Best regards
Matt

Ditto, I love mine. I got mine at axe-fest 2012, best amp purchase ever. There's definitely amp in the room, if you get my drift.

Here's mine.

IMAGE_E2F33068-6C7D-43AB-8515-08E031762031.JPG

Last edited:
looks pretty familiar...
I run my GT100FX into a pair of 1960b cabs....

and folk come from far and wide....

mostly to complain

Ditto, I love mine. I got mine at axe-fest 2012, best amp purchase ever. There's definitely amp in the room, if you get my drift.

Here's mine.

IMAGE_E2F33068-6C7D-43AB-8515-08E031762031.JPG

You're running the setup I want to do, but cant find myself ready to let go of my power conditioner. How do you plug everything in? Power strip? Individually? I switched to a best-tronics cable so that I didnt need the wall wart for the mfc anymore...but tell me your secret.

That's funny that you should say that. I actually do have a power conditioner in the back, it's not really that deep, so it fits in there without any issues. I'm just glad the Matrix has an opening in the front.

Heres a pic.

IMAGE_BCB4AE73-D81F-4E12-977F-C52D6447A97D.JPG

That's funny that you should say that. I actually do have a power conditioner in the back. You'll freak out by what I have done, I can explain it later if you are interested in what each thing is for.

Heres a pic.

IMAGE_BCB4AE73-D81F-4E12-977F-C52D6447A97D.JPG

thats pretty awesome. Ive got a 12 space rolling rack, but i got tired of carrying it around. So i switched to a 4 space gator padded rack bag. I was originally gonna try to put my power conditioner in the back but there are no rear rails =(. I think i may just end up keeping it how it is and not use my g90 for a while

thats pretty awesome. Ive got a 12 space rolling rack, but i got tired of carrying it around. So i switched to a 4 space gator padded rack bag. I was originally gonna try to put my power conditioner in the back but there are no rear rails =(. I think i may just end up keeping it how it is and not use my g90 for a while

I'm always experimenting, if you look closely at the Power conditioner you can see where I put holes in it for neutrik connectors. I got board with that and bought a couple 1 space blank spacers to put them in instead. I'll get board with this and do something else later.

I'm always experimenting, if you look closely at the Power conditioner you can see where I put holes in it for neutrik connectors. I got board with that and bought a couple 1 space blank spacers to put them in instead. I'll get board with this and do something else later.

Yeah ive been through a 6 space then the 12 space rolling. Id really like to get a 12 space shock....but some of the venues we play, stage space can be cramped and finding a place for a 12 space shock rack isnt always the easiest. But I love the patch panel youve got!, that was going to be my next venture when i had a 12 space, but I couldnt justify paying for someone to make it at that point. The Matrix made it pretty simple for my setup now though. I used to have pedals routed in the chain and use a GCX switcher. Life is simple now!

I made my own patch panels. I used this for the holes. It's a 15/16 metal punch. I have used in at least twenty times and its still sharp.

IMAGE_77097A6C-E4EE-4607-A06C-11498FBAE0A9.JPG

Back
Top Bottom