Another Fender Tone Master leak (FRFR)

Thanks for the link @Gtrsolo350
He said he was most impressed with the monitors…said they sound kick ass.
…said: ”Probably the best flat response speaker I’ve heard at least”

The more I think about it, the more I agree. It's weird...the diagonally offset compression driver is an odd choice. Celestion obviously makes the F12s, and I'd imagine they could fit in budget with Fender's apparent scale for these cabs.

Having played it, I wonder where the crossover is set. It wouldn't surprise me if it's up over 5k, most of the sound is from a particularly flat 12" driver, and the tweeter is offset specifically so that the high end airy bits change as you move around like they would with a normal guitar cab.

Also, I got curious...

Is the 1000watt rating seem like it's inflated for the sake of marketing purposes?

Actually, no. It fits with what they claim.

1696512946903.png

Now...why they wanted it to hit 130, when the "safe exposure" to that level is measured in seconds....probably just in case people want to try it in "big" rooms.

The more I think about it, the more I agree. It's weird...the diagonally offset compression driver is an odd choice. Celestion obviously makes the F12s, and I'd imagine they could fit in budget with Fender's apparent scale for these cabs.

Having played it, I wonder where the crossover is set. It wouldn't surprise me if it's up over 5k, most of the sound is from a particularly flat 12" driver, and the tweeter is offset specifically so that the high end airy bits change as you move around like they would with a normal guitar cab.
Agreed…
The crossover is active so time delay can be implemented.
I also wonder about the XO point because if it’s properly time delayed, the polar bandwiths match up, and the XO point is high enough, it shouldn’t be an issue.

It’s labelled a Fender Special Design loudspeaker, but do we know the manufacturer? Celestion?
Is it a neo-dymium magnet ?
I still have a 15” fender special design that was in an old Fender 75 and that was a lovely speaker.

P.S. 100dB at 1w/1m is a fairly efficient loudspeaker.

Also, I got curious...

Actually, no. It fits with what they claim.

View attachment 127506

Now...why they wanted it to hit 130, when the "safe exposure" to that level is measured in seconds....probably just in case people want to try it in "big" rooms.
It's OFD as we speak. I will be hitting it with the FM9, with the GT preamps into Dynacabs as well as maybe the line out of my Mark VII into FAS cabs and fx. Looking forward to all of it; no matter what the recipe \m/

P.S. 100dB at 1w/1m is a fairly efficient loudspeaker.

Yes, but that's what it took to get the numbers to work out.

Also, they're not unheard of in the guitar world:

1696527132256.png

And compression drivers are particularly efficient, unless I'm mistaken.

I just got a new Fender FR12 delivered today. I just played through it for about an hour and overall I really like it. I took it through mainly Fender clean type sounds with some drives and some Marshall high and mid gain sounds. I really like having the high cut feature, I have it about 3/4 engaged and it makes the cabinet really sound good.

Last edited:
I just got a new Fender FR12 delivered today. I just played through it for about an hour and overall I really like it. I took it through mainly Fender clean type sounds with some drives and some Marshall high and mid gain sounds. I really like having the high cut feature, I have it about 3/4 engaged and it makes the cabinet really sounds good.

Ditto. I just got my FR12 today and was going to write pretty much the same thing as you. Using it with an FM9T. Pleasing tones at a decent price.

I'm using the High Cut set between 10 and 11 O'Clock. Would have liked to have tried the FR10, but there wasn't one in stock.

Hey guys, I've been tossing up getting one of these since they were announced. Not having tried an FRFR before, and only being a bedroom tinkerer (I use a modeller (not a fractal, hope that's ok) and monitors at the mo) I'm really not sure. I'd be sitting very close to it (probably at my feet, sat down). My monitors are fine, I just find myself missing more of a cab feeling you know?

Hey guys, I've been tossing up getting one of these since they were announced. Not having tried an FRFR before, and only being a bedroom tinkerer (I use a modeller (not a fractal, hope that's ok) and monitors at the mo) I'm really not sure. I'd be sitting very close to it (probably at my feet, sat down). My monitors are fine, I just find myself missing more of a cab feeling you know?

If you're too close to it, I think the volume is going to be a bit touchy. They're definitely made with a stage in mind. It did seem more cab-like than monitors set up to sound like good monitors.

I bought one and tested it alongside the EX PXM. They both sound excellent but the FR12 definitely sounds more like a speaker cab--something about the sound of the low end. The PXM has way more options of course but there are a few things I prefer about the FR:

1. Love the cut knob
2. Love the amp-like form factor
3. I like the power switch being on the top
4. I like the handle being on top
5. I like that it's a couple lbs lighter
6. It's less expensive
7. I like that the input is on the back

I haven't seen a frequency graph on it so I don't know if it's as flat as the PXM, but I don't really care. The damn thing sounds phenomenal. I didn't think I could be happier than I was with the PXMs but so far I'm preferring the FR.

Have you pushed some track music through it yet? Another thought would be to swap out the coaxial from the EV into the fender and see what that sounds like!

Last edited:
If you're too close to it, I think the volume is going to be a bit touchy. They're definitely made with a stage in mind. It did seem more cab-like than monitors set up to sound like good monitors.

You make a good point. That said, I've been playing one in a small / medium room at home this evening and it was fine. I was fairly close to it.

Have you pushed some track music through it yet? Another thought would be to swap out the coaxial from the EV into the fender and see what that sounds like!
Actually I haven't. I will though. Kinda funny, I have a good way to do that playing my phone through the EVs (Lightning to stereo 1/4 cable) but not through the FR-12. I can run into the FM9 and out that way but I need to reconfigure some stuff on my board a little.

And the speaker swap is definitely not happening. I'm waaaaay too lazy for that these days 😂

Do they translate? - varying amp/cab model combinations sound authentic? (Marshall/412GB vs Recto/412V30 vs Fender vs Vox sounds ... )

Back
Top Bottom