Another AX8 vs FX8...this time for effects only

4cm aside (which I don't use at all), is there any reason to believe it is more difficult to get the level going into the front of an amp only with the effects only on the AX8? I am worried about how the guitar hits an actual guitar amp, which is what I will use 50% of the time. I don't care about resale value, 4cm, or anything other than what I stated already.

In a word: no (I suspect that the AX8 will excel in the configuration that you describe).
Given your concerns, I would purchase the AX8.

It seems AX8 will be as noisy as axefx II. If you have noise with 4CM, you probably experienced some ground loop or leaking signal due to poor cabling. Once solved, my axefx with 4cm was almost trasparent. :)

No, not a ground loop or poor cables. There is some inherent hiss with the early versions of the first generation AxeFX II which was later improved upon with the Mark II and XL. I am assuming that the AX8 will work as well as the XL. Time will tell.

The AX8 would work in 4CM, but as Matt said on Facebook a while back, "why?" Get an AX8 and get rid of your tube amp! :)

But if your goal is to use a Fractal product that will best serve a physical tube amp's feature set, your best bet is the FX8. The FX8 is designed specifically for this use, so it's much quieter when used in 4CM, and it has immense amp-control capability through relay switching, which the AX8 does not.

It will be very interesting to see if using the fx loop on the ax8 makes it noisy. I'd be surprised to discover fractal will release a product like that. If the loop has noticeable noise then I'll send it back and get something else - hopefully it will sound fine and people start getting them soon so know what the real story is.

You can be promised that the FX8 will be quieter in the FX loop. I'm sure it won't be a deal breaker, but if you are using a real amp, get an FX8. It's amazing.

Still undecided here. I know the FX8 will sound good in front of an amp, although, again, I have no use for 4cm or relays. My guess is that I'd be paying for huge design features that I won't use. What I will use is the unity gain and clean signal path- when it is bypassed, it is really bypassed. I am not so sure that is the case with the AX8 (the straight guitar signal is untouched), which is why I asked the initial question.

The AX8 would work in 4CM, but as Matt said on Facebook a while back, "why?" Get an AX8 and get rid of your tube amp! :)

But if your goal is to use a Fractal product that will best serve a physical tube amp's feature set, your best bet is the FX8. The FX8 is designed specifically for this use, so it's much quieter when used in 4CM, and it has immense amp-control capability through relay switching, which the AX8 does not.

Have you done side-by-sides (re:noise in a 4CM setting) with the two yet? I'm getting an AX8 so it doesn't really matter to me, but I'm asking just so we all have accurate information -- and you being one of the few ppl that actually have an AX8...

Oh and btw, I'm just right up the street (that street being 400) from you off exit 13.

Back
Top Bottom