Another AX8 vs FX8...this time for effects only

Mincer

Inspired
Deciding between the FX8 and AX8 here, and I know the FX8 is suited to the 4CM in front of a traditional amp. But what if you use a single channel, no fx loop amp at about 50% of your shows and all effects always go before the amp? The other 50%, I use my current pedalboard into a FlyRicg5 to IEMs.

So, does the AX8 work the same as an FX8 if you don't use an amp block and go into the front of an amp? Is it easy to set levels this way (It was a nightmare on the HD500)? I don't know if paying for expensive components to insure the 4CM on the FX8 is worth it if I never, ever use the 4CM. I could go FX8/FlyRig5 or AX8 by itself, but buying both or an Axe isn't happening right now.

If I go AX8, I would certainly use the amp models for recording or IEM use, but it also needs to sound amazing in front of an actual amps using effects only.

in front of the amp, the FX8 has no advantage, as far as I know. It's optimized for 4cm, hence the expensive components, plus the ability to channel switch most amps. if none of that is a factor the Axe8 gives you pretty much everything the FX8 can and much more.

What kind of traditional amp are we discussing here? Are you talking about a Blues Jr, a Marshall 1/2 stack, or a Boogie 1x12?

My first suggestion is to simplify:

• Rig #1 is AX8 into a FRFR cab
• Rig #2 is FlyRig5 into IEMs

Honestly, the AX8 could become your fly rig too.

We are talking about a Mesa Blue Angel, which is a single channel, non-master volume 6v6 1x12. And yes, if I go for the AX8, it would eliminate the FlyRig. Basically, I need to know if there is a compelling reason to go for the FX8, since I am not channel switching or 4cm-ing. I didn't know if it was somehow not meant for being used as an effects-only device in front of an amp (sometimes).

Unless you just can't jive with a FRFR, there's not a compelling reason to use a combo over a FRFR. The latter is much more flexible and potentially lighter.

Unless I missed something, 4CM use is the only FAS-stated reason to choose an FX8 over an AX8 (although I'd probably contest that too). Without that I can't see any reason to choose the FX8 over the AX8.

Ah I get it. Sometimes I like my amp, and I'd like the option. I have nothing against using a FR cab either. All options are good ones. I just want to get the right thing.

I was just about to receive an fx8 when the ax8 was announced properly, apart from the delay which is of course frustrating, I can't see anything the fx8 does that I couldn't do on the ax8 so it made more sense to switch orders. 90%+ of the time I'll use it for effects only - either in front of a fender twin or with 4cm and an evh 5153.
The fx8 might have better spec components for 4cm but it looks like the ax8 will work and shouldn't sound rubbish that way, so for a tiny bit extra I have the amp models as well - for recording and as a backup in case I have amp problems it makes more sense to me.

Of course the flip side is that I could be gigging an fx8 now. I've come close to buying a couple of used/nearly new fx8 pedals though and if I see one at the right price I'll grab it to tide me over until the ax8 arrives.

Relays. Better noise floor for tube amps. If you are using a real amp, the FX8 is an all in one solution for total control. Why not just buy both, FX8 gigging, AX8 at home? That's my plan.

Relays. Better noise floor for tube amps. If you are using a real amp, the FX8 is an all in one solution for total control. Why not just buy both, FX8 gigging, AX8 at home? That's my plan.

If you have an amp that needs the relays to switch channels then the fx8 makes more sense, but the OP doesn't. Do we know that the ax8 has more noise? I know it was started that the components in the fx8 are optimised for 4cm but it would be pretty poor form and a huge surprise if the ax8 is so noisy that it doesn't work fine that way.

Pretty sure the AX8 is in fact noisier in a 4CM solution with a real amp than the FX8. That does not mean unusable, I'm sure it works fine.

Well, I don't care about relays and won't use the 4cm. I was more concerned about the noise floor (s/n ratio) and ease & ability to get 'same as unity gain' levels when using effects only on the FX8. Buying both isn't an option here.

Yes, the AX8 will be noisier if used in 4CM with an amp because it does not have the same components for 4CM that the FX8 has. How much noisier? Now that is the question we don't have any answer to yet. I know my AxeFX II Mark I is way noisier in 4CM with an amp than the FX8 is.

See this post from Fractal Audio explaining some of the differences in the construction of the two units:

AX8 Price Point - At what price do you get upset?

Deciding between the FX8 and AX8 here, and I know the FX8 is suited to the 4CM in front of a traditional amp. But what if you use a single channel, no fx loop amp at about 50% of your shows and all effects always go before the amp? The other 50%, I use my current pedalboard into a FlyRicg5 to IEMs.

So, does the AX8 work the same as an FX8 if you don't use an amp block and go into the front of an amp? Is it easy to set levels this way (It was a nightmare on the HD500)? I don't know if paying for expensive components to insure the 4CM on the FX8 is worth it if I never, ever use the 4CM. I could go FX8/FlyRig5 or AX8 by itself, but buying both or an Axe isn't happening right now.

If I go AX8, I would certainly use the amp models for recording or IEM use, but it also needs to sound amazing in front of an actual amps using effects only.

Having all the FX in front of the amp the FX8 and AX8 would be the same. I would expect most people to go for the AX8, so it should have better re-sale value.

The FX8 is worth every penny without the amp modelling. I have a great amp already. Many people don't want/need amp modelling as part of their live rig. The resale value of each item should stand up no problem.

I know my AxeFX II Mark I is way noisier in 4CM with an amp than the FX8 is.
It seems AX8 will be as noisy as axefx II. If you have noise with 4CM, you probably experienced some ground loop or leaking signal due to poor cabling. Once solved, my axefx with 4cm was almost trasparent. :)

4cm aside (which I don't use at all), is there any reason to believe it is more difficult to get the level going into the front of an amp only with the effects only on the AX8? I am worried about how the guitar hits an actual guitar amp, which is what I will use 50% of the time. I don't care about resale value, 4cm, or anything other than what I stated already.

Back
Top Bottom