Annoying buzz/hum when using Friedman HBE Model

Hey fellas,

The Friedman HBE has my favourite tonal characteristics for chugging rhythms, yet at the same time it has an odd feature (/bug?) that none of the other models I use tend to have.
See video for sound -

As you see in the video when I mess around with the 'Preamp Dynamics' in the 'Dynamics' section of the Amp blocks - it becomes super exaggerated when I cut it all the way down, and it's almost gone when I crank it all the way up.
However, even when cranked all the way up - it persists.

And not only is this noise annoying when I mute my playing, it is also a very noticeable buzz along with the sound of the playing (when not muting, and noise gate turned on!).
I would settle for the lower buzzing with 'Preamp Dynamics' at 10, but I just don't dig the way it responds to my playing :/

I went through every single know in Ax8-Edit, and the 'Preamp Dynamics' function appears to be the only one that has any effect on this phenomenon.

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Is there any work around for that?
Crossing my fingers here, cause I sure wouldn't want to give up on this model altogether! 🤞

Attaching screenshots to show my gain levels (that are rather moderate).
My VU meter doesn't go above -1.5.

Sure hope to get some help on this!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 16.33.53.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 16.33.53.png
    985.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 16.34.14.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 16.34.14.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
If you turn the volume all the way down on your guitar and the buzz goes away you have your answer.

I'm sorry my english is not so good.
For a second I felt like you're telling me to quit playing?
I'd like to hear myself when i'm playing. If i turn down the volume I might as well get rid of the my AX8, no?

In case the video i linked is not clear enough - the hum is quite noticeable even during my playing.
Especially when I'm chugging, and palm muting.
I'd like to fix that.

I'm sorry my english is not so good.
For a second I felt like you're telling me to quit playing?
I'd like to hear myself when i'm playing. If i turn down the volume I might as well get rid of the my AX8, no?

In case the video i linked is not clear enough - the hum is quite noticeable even during my playing.
Especially when I'm chugging, and palm muting.
I'd like to fix that.
Just try this as a test. Do you hear the buzz with your guitar volume all the way up & not playing? Do you hear the buzz with your guitar volume all the way down? If not with the volume down, the problem is the guitar, not the AX8. That's all FractalAudio is saying.

I did.
It's quieter for sure with the drive blocks turned off, yet still there.

As I show in the video above -
After having re-traced every single function in the amp block, and it appears that it's somehow connected with the 'preamp dynamics' knob.
When you turn it all the way, as i did in the video, it gets better. Not completely, but better.
The sound, the feel and response, however, get a little funny

Last edited:
Could it be the system that you are monitoring through (active speakers / PC).
Can you change guitar cables ?
can you try a different guitar ?
Do other patches have the same noise or is it just this one ?

Hey Pete,
Thanks for replying here!
I replace all cables it persisted.
I tried using a guitar with passive pickups, it wasn't as bad but still persisted.
There is some noise with other patches/amp models, but none as bad as this.

Thanks again

Eran

Could it be the system that you are monitoring through (active speakers / PC).
Can you change guitar cables ?
can you try a different guitar ?
Do other patches have the same noise or is it just this one ?

Not getting any buzz. Out 1 is all the way up and I have my interface volume up to 3 o'clock. Volume guitar on 10, hand on/hands off guitar, no noise or buzz. However, when I disengage the reverb the overall tone does clean up better. Maybe the mix level is too high...not sure.

Your cab block was blank so I assume you are using 3rd party cabs? Maybe it is the cabs. I used the Fractal Cab F149 - 4x12 Trad V60 Full (OH) for test.

Argh.. so weird..
It leaves me wondering if there's
a) an electricity issue in the house
b) a malfunction in my Foucsrite soundcard
c) a malfunction in my AX8

Oh man...

Not getting any buzz. Out 1 is all the way up and I have my interface volume up to 3 o'clock. Volume guitar on 10, hand on/hands off guitar, no noise or buzz. However, when I disengage the reverb the overall tone does clean up better. Maybe the mix level is too high...not sure.

Your cab block was blank so I assume you are using 3rd party cabs? Maybe it is the cabs. I used the Fractal Cab F149 - 4x12 Trad V60 Full (OH) for test.

In any case - thanks for your time and energy mate

Argh.. so weird..
It leaves me wondering if there's
a) an electricity issue in the house
b) a malfunction in my Foucsrite soundcard
c) a malfunction in my AX8

Oh man...

Damn. I feel your pain. It's a total pain when this stuff happens. Can you take it to a different location - rehearsal space / mates house, and try it there. At least this will take your power and system out of the picture. I hope you get it fixed mate.

Back
Top Bottom