Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

The whole multiple
instruments thru one unit idea seems like a recipe
for problems to me - regardless of horsepower.
We've run 2 guitarist through an axe FX ii with zero problems for years. Running both guitars through either single unit makes live a breeze too, come in set it down, plug up and go. Using scenes or daw automation for midi makes it so you can change both guitarist sounds at the same time seamlessly. The 2 would get pressed at full CPU though run by big 2 full rigs, and I can't afford a 3.

Fractal stuff is great, looks like this iteration it's just going to be down to feature set and needs of the individual.

Also the capture function on the QC makes it kind of a combination between a Kemper and an axe! The QC sounds definitely better than Kemper, and better than axe 2, but I know it wouldn't stack up against a full size 3, however the size, flexibility etc makes up for it. Everything is a bit of compromise... Go for the axe 3 if ya have the money and want the undisputed king, or go for a unit that is in it's infancy and may have been rushed out a bit with some features unfinished, but will develop and mature far into the future rather than using 5 year old concepts and UI etc

The whole multiple
instruments thru one unit idea seems like a recipe
for problems to me - regardless of horsepower.
Yeah.
I could see having a jam session in which this may be useful... "Just c'mon over. I have guitars you can use, and we can all run through my Axe Fx." But for a gig...? Nah. Some claims seem like marketing hype to me, because when you look at them closely, you realize they're just, "Ooh, it's shiny!", with no real practical use, as advertised.

Last edited:
It’s too wide. Even with the end caps off it’s over 19” wide.
Thanks. That's a bummer.
I've been out of the upgrade cycle since the II.
I'll spare everyone the details, but basically my needs are either a new 2-rack unit or a more powerful floor unit superior to the axe II feature set that can fit in a rack. Unless I'm mistaken, neither have happened since the II so I'm most likely a permanent legacy customer.

Doesn't make sense to hang around here anymore waiting for that to happen. Take care everyone and enjoy the goods! Maybe I'll stop in again if Fractal releases another 2-space unit.

We received about 20 emails yesterday asking the price. It's in the press release, on the web site, in the forum post, in the Facebook post, on Instagram, on Guitar World/Music Radar.

OMG! I sure hope one of your least skilled and valuable members of the team is actually
given the task of dealing with that low-hanging fruit. ;)

What's that Zen line about how some get hung up on the finger pointing at the Moon
and never actually look at what the finger is pointing to??

First post, so hello everyone.

Would be great if we could receive some information regarding the use of 4 cable method with FX only? Does it work as good as the FX8?

Asking because I had more than just a struggle fighting crazy noise using a G-System. Spent about 800€ to eliminate all noise to find out that the tonesuck was pretty bad. 😅 So I sold it and never tried a multiFX again until I heard a FX8 ‚out in the wild‘ a couple of weeks ago. The FX8 seems hard to find in Germany and of course… the FM9 seems to be fantastic. First device since years that really started my GAS.

Just in case it matters: I play (and love) an EVH 5150 50w.

Please excuse my hopefully not that bad english and thanks in advance.

Welcome to my world. I teach at a community college. Amazing how many questions I get that are right there in the syllabus, on the Moodle site, and in the emails and videos I send out before the course even begins. I'm not saying they're lazy, need to be catered to like they were in elementary and secondary school, or that some are just inept... or am I?

I remember going to college and having to figure out where the library was, and
once in I had to go find books on my own and figure out the Dewey Decimal System. ;)

That was after walking 8 miles in the snow to get there. :D

But I hear you. There has to be some initiative to search some things out in life and not
just be hand fed the information one wants when one wants it. I was scolded for some
basic questions I asked when I first showed up here. Somewhat gently, I might add. It
reminded me that someone else probably already answered those questions a Looong
time ago and I could probably find them with minimal effort.

Cliff or Matt could you please share the actual specs of the sharc + for comparisons? Something kind of like this breakdown ( https://www.analog.com/en/landing-pages/001/customer-success-stories-quad-cortex.html ) would be incredible! Thanks for always being active and responsive to the community, that's definitely one thing fractal has always nailed.
FM3 and FM9 use the same SHARC+ family as the QC. FM9 has same number of cores so power should be comparable.

Last edited:
This is Fractal Audio Systems. If you think there are "unskilled" or "less valuable" team members around here, think again.

Ok, how about intern??? ;)

Or.... press 9 for product and pricing info. :D

In fairness I wrote "least skilled," not "unskilled." :)
In the hierarchy of value I am pretty sure there are some folks
you wouldn't ever want wasting their time on such repetitive
and mind-numbing tasks as that which you mentioned.

Last edited:
They need to become comfortable with searching for answers ....if such an advanced piece of tech is going to work within their specific needs and expectations for a modern rig.

No offense to anyone, but doesn't the buying presets mentality kind of plays into that
sort of thing, too? I wonder if it can enable a lack of effort, discovery, and curiousity,
to some degree anyways, no??

Would be great if we could receive some information regarding the use of 4 cable method with FX only? Does it work as good as the FX8?

Asking because I had more than just a struggle fighting crazy noise using a G-System. Spent about 800€ to eliminate all noise to find out that the tonesuck was pretty bad. 😅 So I sold it and never tried a multiFX again until I heard a FX8 ‚out in the wild‘ a couple of weeks ago. The FX8 seems hard to find in Germany and of course… the FM9 seems to be fantastic. First device since years that really started my GAS.

Yes, 4CM should work great. The FM9 uses the same "flagship" analog processing as the Axe-Fx III which evolved from the FX8.

The FX8 was the best analog path I'd ever designed but the product, unfortunately, did not sell well. I took that design, tweaked it a bit and used it in the Axe-Fx III.

Allow me to introduce Bennie, the 2nd least Zen creature in the house:
View attachment 87733

Totally focused on the pointing finger....

Haha! Cute. :)

We inherited a little kitten that showed up at our door who we discovered
had some sensory issues. Literally had to put her directly in front of her
food as she had some loss of vision and smell. If the Moon was a foot in front
of her face she could find it. :)

Dein Englisch ist besser als mein Deutsch.... :)

I believe the FM9 shares the "humbuster" feature on the jacks one would use for the 4CM which are present in the big AxeFX3 rack unit. People who have the actual unit are present in this thread, though, so better to defer to their knowledge than my beliefs. The humbuster setup goes a long way toward the elimination of noise and hum from ground loops.

You might find yourself enjoying the amps modeled in the unit also. The Cygnus modeling is quite good.

HTH!

Back
Top Bottom