Announcing the New FM9 Amp Modeler/FX Processor

With digital taking over live boards, and with the AFX doing great conversion already, why do another conversion at the board? I’ve been using AFX AES ever since I went to a digital board. About a decade I think.

I had a chance once to chat with Sting’s sound man just before Sting went on. He said his system was full digital “universe” and the conversion to analog didn’t happen until the signal reached the concert mains. His board was a giant optical remote control. That was before everyone else went digital. Pretty slick.
The Consoles are Digital, but the Analog to Digital conversion happens after the mic input... all the mics and sources are analog...

I just upgraded to a Quad Cortex from my Axefx 2 specifically for form factor and the fact that I run 2 guitarists through a single unit and the FM3 was totally inept and unable to do this. Today is my 30 days from my ship date and my return period. I'm trying to find the actual specs for the FM9 as a comparison to see if I should send the QC back and pickup the FM9... Fractal has not posted the true specs anywhere I can find though, just that it now has a quad core processor. They also don't say if you can simultaneously run multiple instruments through the unit. This makes it nearly impossible to make a fair comparison between the QC and FM9...

Does anyone know of anyway to get this information?
Pg1
FAQ

We received about 20 emails yesterday asking the price. It's... on the web site,...
It's not on the web site. I just cleared the saved data in my browser after closing all instances of FAS sites, opened a new one, which does show the FM9, but clicking "Shop Now" doesn't even show the FM9 on that page.
(Also, when on the Shop Now page, clicking the main Fractal logo at the top does not take you back to the main site like it should.)

We received about 20 emails yesterday asking the price. It's in the press release, on the web site, in the forum post, in the Facebook post, on Instagram, on Guitar World/Music Radar.

I think people might be unable to imagine that they can learn things on their own. It's hard to think that it's laziness, because it takes more effort to ask the question than to find the answer. Whatever it is, this mentality demonstrates something about our societies.
Welcome to my world. I teach at a community college. Amazing how many questions I get that are right there in the syllabus, on the Moodle site, and in the emails and videos I send out before the course even begins. I'm not saying they're lazy, need to be catered to like they were in elementary and secondary school, or that some are just inept... or am I?

Welcome to my world. I teach at a community college. Amazing how many questions I get that are right there in the syllabus, on the Moodle site, and in the emails and videos I send out before the course even begins. I'm not saying they're lazy, need to be catered to like they were in elementary and secondary school, or that some are just inept... or am I?
It's what they're used to getting.

After reading over all of that it still appears the QC is still more powerful... 4 instruments at once, 4 amps, 4 cabs simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Also an incredibly better UI in the QC and a better footprint and size/weight, and has the ability to make captures that kick Kempers ass, makes it like a fractal and a Kemper mixed in a single badass unit.

I was actually hoping fractal would have put out something that would actually compete but this doesn't look like it unfortunately.

All fractal will say is it's the most powerful floor processor "fractal" has ever made... Basically even they are admitting it's not as powerful as the QC. They won't say the processor speed just that it's sharc+ processors.

Also have been unable to find any info regarding running multiple instruments at once.

it still appears the QC is still more powerful... 4 instruments at once, 4 amps, 4 cabs simultaneously
I can see how you might imagine that but it is a misinterpretation. Imagine how many fast food burgers one can purchase with the same amount of money it requires to purchase one ounce of Wagyu beef (a LOT, and I'm even a vegetarian ;-)

The Axe-Fx III, for instance, is FAR more powerful than any competitor product. It too has two amp blocks. It was not our design intent to create anything that four people could use at once; each of our products is primarily intended for a single musician with champagne tastes.

It's not on the web site. I just cleared the saved data in my browser after closing all instances of FAS sites, opened a new one, which does show the FM9, but clicking "Shop Now" doesn't even show the FM9 on that page.
(Also, when on the Shop Now page, clicking the main Fractal logo at the top does not take you back to the main site like it should.)
Very first post of the thread ? 4 lines above the picture ?

The Consoles are Digital, but the Analog to Digital conversion happens after the mic input... all the mics and sources are analog...
That’s a given. They had all preamps and conversion on stage and it stayed digital until it got inside the speaker cabs. Probably standard now but pretty cool 12 years ago.

After reading over all of that it still appears the QC is still more powerful... 4 instruments at once, 4 amps, 4 cabs simultaneously without breaking a sweat.
And what are you going to loose in the process? Quality and/or # of effects is what I'd be thinking, just as a start.

Very first post of the thread ? 4 lines above the picture ?
That's not the web site. If I go directly to the website (which people will do, once they read the article(s)), I don't see any mention of the price. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

After reading over all of that it still appears the QC is still more powerful... 4 instruments at once, 4 amps, 4 cabs simultaneously without breaking a sweat. Also an incredibly better UI in the QC and a better footprint and size/weight, and has the ability to make captures that kick Kempers ass, makes it like a fractal and a Kemper mixed in a single badass unit.

I was actually hoping fractal would have put out something that would actually compete but this doesn't look like it unfortunately.

All fractal will say is it's the most powerful floor processor "fractal" has ever made... Basically even they are admitting it's not as powerful as the QC. They won't say the processor speed just that it's sharc+ processors.

Also have been unable to find any info regarding running multiple instruments at once.
It’s been one day. I have a video planned showing 2 inputs at the same time but haven’t made it yet.

If you need to run 4 amps and instruments from a single unit, the Fractal products don’t do that. I don’t think that’s a comment on power, but a comment on feature set. 4 instruments with amps from one unit isn’t necessarily a goal everyone shares. Also consider that if 4 guitarists share the same unit, changing sounds independently is a real challenge. There are other specifics about the QC that limit certain block types due to CPU usage when you have a lot on the grid, just to say no computer is completely limitless.

If the feature set of the quad cortex is what you need, then it sounds like you’re set. Different gear doesn’t need to all do the same thing.

I can see how you might imagine that but it is a misinterpretation. Imagine how many fast food burgers one can purchase with the same amount of money it requires to purchase one ounce of Wagyu beef (a LOT, and I'm even a vegetarian ;-)

The Axe-Fx III, for instance, is FAR more powerful than any competitor product. It too has two amp blocks. It was not our design intent to create anything that four people could use at once; each of our products is primarily intended for a single musician with champagne tastes.
The axe 3 is definitely the king... But most of us can't afford it. Yes I know it's cheaper than buying a bunch of of amps and effects but many of us just don't have that much money to pop at for the 3 no matter how much we wish we did.

Back
Top Bottom