Andy Timmons 'Deliver Us' tone attempt

Nolly

Inspired
Hi,

I figured I'd have a go recreating one of my favourite guitar tones, that of Andy Timmons' album Resolution, using my Axe-FX. I learned the opening riffs of the first song on the album, Deliver Us back when it first came out, so I quickly relearned and recorded them (pretty sloppy and ever so slightly out of tune) and this was the result:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/790683/ATB%2 ... 0AxeFX.mp3

It's not dead on, but consider that the drum and bass sounds are different as well. I don't think it would take much further tweaking to nail.

The guitar used was my Nathan Sheppard NSG25:

HPIM0691.jpg

There is minimal post-eq on the guitar track, but it's nothing that couldn't be done on the graphic or parametric eq stages on the Axe-FX itself.

Cheers!

Nolly

I thought that sounded awesome :cool: . That's the closest I've heard to his tone and dynamics. Care to share what you're patch settings are like? :mrgreen:

Prettyyyy....

Both the tone and the guitar. Some details on both would be appreciated!

Thanks guys!

The patch signal chain is: a Full OD boost, running into the Brown and USA IIC+2 amp models (the latter being a fair bit quieter than the former), then into the 4x12 German and 4x12 Brit cabs. If I had a MIDI interface I'd upload it, but alas I don't.

The guitar is a handmade custom built by Nathan Sheppard (http://www.nsguitars.com). The body is one-piece of chambered mahogany, with a nice thick 5A flame maple top. The neck is birdseye and flamed maple, with a Brazilian rosewood fretboard. The pickups are custom made by Bare Knuckle pickups for Nathan - they're basically two sets of tele pickups turned into a pair of humbuckers. Each is individually coil-splittable to give true single-coil performance, and they sound super-smooth and thick when in humbucking (as you hear in this clip ;) )
It's a wonderful guitar, I was lucky enough to score it at a very nice price second-hand from a shop who obviously didn't realise its value! Here are some more pics of it:

IMG_1874.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

HPIM0704.jpg

HPIM0703.jpg

familypics-1.jpg

Very cool Nolly :cool: . That amp/cab/drive combo dials in a very Timmons-ish tone quickly. I can't decide what mic's I want to use on the cabs yet :oops: . Thanks for the head start :D

InsideOut said:
Very cool Nolly :cool: . That amp/cab/drive combo dials in a very Timmons-ish tone quickly. I can't decide what mic's I want to use on the cabs yet :oops: . Thanks for the head start :D

No worries mate.
I'm not sure I used any mic models in my patch, which is odd for me. Also, I had the gain and master volume on full on the Brown, with the boost set pretty low. Messing with the diode type and high cut filter also yields some very usable sounds.

rectifier said:
man that is one sexy guitar.... :shock: :shock:

Thanks dude :cool:

Very well done, tone and playing both. Very nice looking guitar, Please tell me you had somthing under the guitar for the pic laying on the cement blocks...

Sixstring said:
Very well done, tone and playing both. Very nice looking guitar, Please tell me you had somthing under the guitar for the pic laying on the cement blocks...

Cheers!
There is a small towel under the guitar ;)

Nolly said:
Thanks guys!

The patch signal chain is: a Full OD boost, running into the Brown and USA IIC+2 amp models (the latter being a fair bit quieter than the former), then into the 4x12 German and 4x12 Brit cabs. If I had a MIDI interface I'd upload it, but alas I don't.
Get one.
Seriously. I need that patch!

Kidding! But having a way to back up your creations will come in handy some day, be sure of it.
E-Mu Xmidi is like $30,-.

Nolly said:
There is a small towel under the guitar ;)

Hoopy is the frood that knows where his towel is.

Very nice indeed!

Nolly I hope you don't mind but I thought your tone was really close so I sent your sound bite to the man him self Andy Timmons.

<chris.wealth2freedom@gmail.com> to andy@andytimmons.com
<May 28

<Andy,
<My name is Chris first let me start by saying I enjoy your playing very much and I missed you the last time you came through Cali. I am a member of the Fractal Audio Systems forum and a user of the gear. I found This <http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/790683/ATB Deliver Us, AxeFX.mp3 recording from one of the members trying to recreate your tone using the Fractal Audio Axe FX. Not trying to pimp the gear and I realize you are an endorsed Mesa user just <thought you should here it. Although the playing is obviously not you the tone is prety close for not playing through any tubes.

<Keep up the awesome playing you inspire me greatly.

<Thanks, Chris

<Andy <andy@andytimmons.com> to Chris <chris.wealth2freedom@gmail.com>
<1:27am

<Hey Chris,

<Thanks for sending the clip.
<Wow...not bad!! Lary Mitchell had told me about this system.
<I need to check it out someday.

<Thanks again,

<Andy Timmons

Way to go Nolly you da man...

That is pretty cool! Shows what an awesome guy Andy is. He's one of my fav's as well. Very inspiring!

Nolly, great job on the tone and the playing, beautiful guitar as well. Look forward to seeing your patch when you get a chance.

Thanks!
Axis

Closest Timmons tone we've had one hear so far!

I'm going to start experimenting. It'd be great to have 2 presets that would cover his clean, cleanish and dirty tones.

Holy s**te monkeys, for second there I thought I had hit play on my CD player with the Timmons CD in. Great clip, AB'd that with the original, almost spot on! Nice one.

Back
Top Bottom