...and your favourite cab is?

Hhuent

Experienced
I play clean to low OD mostly. I like dynamic tones rather than compressed tones.
my tube amps were all 1 x 12" or 1 x 10" combos. With the AX8 and the dynacord axm active wedge (cab dsp position) I took the chance just for fun to simulate a classic 4 x 12" Marshall and combined my presets (three different amps, not more) with a 4x12 BASKETWEAVE G12M25 (RW) to be precise - dayum! That got my Dynacord thumping. Almost to full sounding actually... but 200 cabs to try out is a challenge and ear fatigue will happen easily. May I ask you:
Do you have a vibrant and alive sounding factory cab you allways come back to regardless what amp?
Do you rather prefer 4 x 12s, 2 x 12s, 4 x 10s for singlce coil guitar (strats)?
Sure it depends on many factors, your monitors etc., but from earlier discussions I recall there were some all time favourites that a group of users seem to dig...

I just came from going through the cab list from 1 to 100, the amp being a tucana lead with a low OD setting. Then I was tired. And my neighbour also. But other than him I was happy. Really happy.
I switched my Dynacord axm monitor (12") from the cab setting to FRFR, the Tucanas low cut to 250 hz and the high cut to 6 khz. Boy what a variety of sounds! I boilded it down to a first selection of maybe 15 cabs. Tomorrow I go from 100 to 200. Then thin out my total first selection until I have maybe my top ten cabs. I did not even touch the EQs of the amp block when I went through the cab list. There were some absolutely amazing tones, especially the TV cabs, also a 4 x 10 fender, just to name a few. And then I stumbled upon the first "rumble" dumble cab and could not believe my ears: Almost as if I applied another efx pedal. Maybe one of the best overdrive sounds I experienced with my gear and by that I mean my tube amps included... still have a smile on my face. I am getting closer to the benefits of this FRFR thing which I doubted a bit at first...
Since I have my dynacord axm - the fist FRFR monitor I ever posessed - I just started to explore the fine tonal details of the AX8. Thix box is just awesome!

I wanted to reply here sooner, but I never got to it.

I think there are some amazing factory cabs. On my very short list, is "11 bludo mix" and "154 2x12 ACROX mix (TAF)" for anything AC30ish and general low gain (I was always a huge fan of Celestion Blues). For more Marshallesque sounds, I really like the "146 4x12 MAR-CB H-PR-55 MIX (OH)" and one of the "4x12 TV mix" (131 and 132)

I'm in love with factory cab #119 but I'm about to bite the bullet and grab Cab Lab and some Ownhammer IRs. I'm looking at the VXT pack with great interest.

I cannot seem to find anything I like better that the own hammer studio collection 4x12 scumback h75 and m75 Ss live vintage.

My favorite cab is the one that sounds best for what I'm trying to accomplish!

I know this comes off as a smartass post but it's true, I try not to focus on one best cab or pigeonhole cabs but rather use them to fit the sound I'm trying to make or recreate.

For carol Ann stuff I use the trip tik 1x12 stock cab. One day I will buy the cab pack that has it in it so I can use my own mic mixes. I am also positive I will love ML labs boogie 2x12 pack

thank you guys, I appreciate your comments. Before reading you answers I was going through the cabs for hours - ear fatigue anyone?, lol... Some of your suggestions (103, 119, 131, 132, 146, 154), surprise surprise , made it on my shortlist. @Smittefar, looks like we we have the same ear and taste ;-). @barhrecords, I will definitely try your suggestions when I am done with what I have in the AX8. My impression is, that there seem to exist some preferred cabs or preferred group of cabs on this forum.
My wife is with her parents. So this weekend is "quality-going-through-the-cabs-time".
I made a shortlist of 4 x 12s, 2x12s, 1x12s and 10s. Later I may want to choose between these options depending onwhat kind of music I play. Looks like I generally find more contenders in the second half - area 100 to 170 - than in the first half. Especially the OH and TAF cabs have my interest for their different "character". But this selection was made at , say, loud bedroom volumes. Today I will drive to our rehearsal room and test my shortlist there at gig levels. I have the feeling that some cabs I would have ruled out at home for their slight trebly character may just have the right flavour when I crank my monitor - others may sound to "full" at loud levels and fight with other frequencies from bass and drums. Anyway, I will report back my findings.

My best advice is to play a single IR until your ears become acclimated to it.

Most of the factory cabs sound great but may be off-putting at first if you rapidly change IR's when you audition.

When you rapidly change IR's, your brain is focusing on the differences between the IR's and not the character of the IR itself.

This is more of an issue when the IR's are radically different in nature and less of an issue when the IR's are similar. Like @ML SOUND LAB, his IR's packs are very balanced so rapid audition really works. But skipping from a 1x8 to a 4x12 in the factory set is more jarring.

Exactly. As much as I love mixing IR's I try and keep things as authentic as possible. Your favorite guitar tones were not most likely blends of 12 mics on 3 different cabs. They were most likely just a single mic or a blend of two mics.

The problem with auditioning IR's is that you will start preferring characterless IR's because you don't hear them blending with other instruments. It's the perfect imperfections that make a really good IR and not the "everything else sounded crap compared to this IR". You should use IR's as a character tool since it's a million times more powerful than just the amp EQ.

Back
Top Bottom