And the award for best factory preset goes to….

I need to see if I can find out what the settings were back then and try them. I liked it better when it sounded more like Pink Floyd’s “Pigs”
I still have my Ultra but I don't think it's fixable. We do a cover of Roll It Over by Oasis that I lead off with Poltergeist Pig preset. We've been playing it for about 8 years so I noticed a huge difference when I got my XL. Not as quacky, honky, smooth. Even bigger degradation when I got the III. I converted my Ultra preset with Fractool to the XL and then again to the III to try to recapture the magic. Didn't help.

First thing I’ve always done when I got a new AxeFX .. I have the Ultra, Axe II, and III, is go thru the factory presets, and write down the number of the ones that sound best to me with a pen and paper.
There were a bunch I made note of. From there I do it again and narrow the list, from clean to mean. Overall, Marshall’s seem to do it best for me. I have no one favorite.
I’ve made about 20 presets, tweaking them until they sound really good.

I just assign a colour to ones i may want to use later.

I still have my Ultra but I don't think it's fixable. We do a cover of Roll It Over by Oasis that I lead off with Poltergeist Pig preset. We've been playing it for about 8 years so I noticed a huge difference when I got my XL. Not as quacky, honky, smooth. Even bigger degradation when I got the III. I converted my Ultra preset with Fractool to the XL and then again to the III to try to recapture the magic. Didn't help.
I wonder why that is. @Admin M@ or @Cooper Carter , my preset gurus, can you help?

I wonder why that is. @Admin M@ or @Cooper Carter , my preset gurus, can you help?

You're talking about three different units from three vastly different generations of Fractal. Each of those three units operate with different hardware, modeling algorithms, and parameters.

So you're not going to get the same sounds across all three even if the settings are or even could be "the same."

Across generations, FracTool is bringing over a rough approximation of what the preset would look like on the newer unit, not a tone copy. But I promise you can get back to and recreate your "old" sound from the Ultra with a little bit of tweaking work on the III. It just takes some persistence and patience.

You're talking about three different units from three vastly different generations of Fractal. Each of those three units operate with different hardware, modeling algorithms, and parameters.

So you're not going to get the same sounds across all three even if the settings are or even could be "the same."

Across generations, FracTool is bringing over a rough approximation of what the preset would look like on the newer unit, not a tone copy. But I promise you can get back to and recreate your "old" sound from the Ultra with a little bit of tweaking work on the III. It just takes some persistence and patience.
Thanks, brother. I’ll have to sit down with it and give it a shot. it’s likely this preset was not tweaked for each ensuing firmware/hardware in the same way amp models were. I’m sure the original can be replicated with some work.

Never had an amp modeler, have only owned a couple of pedals in the decades I have been (not) playing, but I got stuck on "Ruby Rocket: Growl (P105 S3)" last night for 3 hours! First time in my life I just wanted to keep playing a guitar for hours because of the tone it was throwing out (using my PRS CU24 and HBII)!! I have only had the FX3 for 2 days, and have already spent about 12 hours being mesmerized by the first 250 presets I have made it through!!! This thing is so incredible!!!! I think it is going to do more for my guitar playing (because I can't stop) than my PRSi, and that says a LOT!!!!! Looking forward to plugging in the Strat as well!!!!!! Thanks to all here for being the living Fractal Wiki ;~))

Back
Top Bottom