An axe efx with out the amps ?

paullypj

Inspired
I recently heard a rumor from some one in the industry that fractal has plans to release a axe fx with out the amp modeling. Its probably not true but it got my hopes up.

I recently heard a rumor from some one in the industry that fractal has plans to release a axe fx with out the amp modeling. Its probably not true but it got my hopes up.

A few years back there was a forum member that went to FAS to pick up an Ultra and saw the proto type. Ether one of two guess's, They have abandon the idea or FAS wants to sort out the II and Axe Edit before moving forward.

I think it's a cool idea, and would fill a niche. Understand, I wouldn't trade my Axe FX II for one, but I think there's a large number of people who wouldn't spring for a II but would for an effects-only version, because they love their amps, but want a multi-effector that does a lot without compromising sound quality.

A couple of years ago, I had a Budda Superdrive 30 that I loved the sound of, and I strongly considered getting the TC Electronics G-system just for that reason (finally gave up on the Budda because it kept breaking down).

And when you think about it, most working guitarists are already familiar with the concept of having an amp that does two or three levels of clean-to-distorted, and then augmenting that sound with pedals to get their effects. I understand the allure of pedals; I sold quite a few of them when I bought my Fractal, but I think most big-time pros use pedals rather than multi-effectors because the quality isn't comprised in favor of quantity. For a long time, I used a Digitech rp500, which was kind of like one of those Chinese Buffet places--lots of different stuff that kind of tastes the same. I only used it because it had a global amp-modeling disengage button (to use effects only), and a "pedalboard" mode, which--like the Axe and the MFC-101--allowed switching between what amounted to multiple combinations of different individual pedals.

Besides, I've read a few interviews of big-time pros--including Fractal endorsers like Lifeson and Petrucci--who have the Axe II in their setups ONLY to generate effects...

Sounds fishy. I think the absolute best selling point is the amp modeling.

I had the ultra and the 2 and i tried but im just not a modeling guy and i may buy an axe fx in the future but if i could just get the effects with out the amp i would be happy. Modeling is very close but not close enough to the real thing for me.

like i said its probably bs

You can just use the effects without the modelling.

Perhaps something new may be coming, there was a speculation thread a while back what it may be.

Rumour source iGuitar mag interview.

Last edited:
Well, there might be a market for it.
After all, doesn´t JP and Lifeson run their Axe´s as FX units only!?

But to appeal a bigger crowd, the amp-less unit would have to cost a lot less right?
Naaah, my money is still on a floor-based model to be announced within 2 years.

I guess some folks haven't heard all the new developments in the Axe FxII. The gap has been closed in terms of real amp authenticity. The only area that may need some work to an extent is the IR section,
and that too is becoming better and better. The fractal delivers better than the real thing in my personal opinion,specially now.

I guess some folks haven't heard all the new developments in the Axe FxII. The gap has been closed in terms of real amp authenticity. The only area that may need some work to an extent is the IR section,
and that too is becoming better and better. The fractal delivers better than the real thing in my personal opinion,specially now.

I had the ultra and the 2 i spent hundreds of hours learning and tweaking and a/bing to my friedman, my marshall, my bogner , my mesa , while the ax fx is great there is no way that i sounds as good as the real thing because .. it not the real thing. but thats just me a lot of people cant tell the difference between an mp3 file played through and i pod and a high quality cd played throug a good quality stereo.
Its a great unit i would just prefer to have it with out the amp modeling.

I had the ultra and the 2 i spent hundreds of hours learning and tweaking and a/bing to my friedman, my marshall, my bogner , my mesa , while the ax fx is great there is no way that i sounds as good as the real thing because .. it not the real thing. but thats just me a lot of people cant tell the difference between an mp3 file played through and i pod and a high quality cd played throug a good quality stereo.
What firmware were you on.
I think you should give it another shot,it's your personal choice at the end of the day. But it has come to a point where there isn't any difference,try it again for yourself don't take my word for it :).
Cheers. Some people have gotten better results than the real thing as well,it's just a matter of putting in the time but specially the new updates have changed a lot of things and getting authentic sounds is
much easier. The main feature of the Fractal is the amp modelling and they have genuinely revolutionised the amp sounds with constant development you got to give it another shot in my opinion.

i always thought itd be real sweet if fractal made an amp modeling head (yes, like line 6 but on steroids).

It'd really just be about aesthetics at that point. Buy an axe, a Matrix, and a rack case, and you have the same thing. And since many people prefer to go with FRFR, the current way it's packaged is more flexible.

I thought u left the forum for good? Why here 'gain?

I thought u left the forum for good? Why here 'gain?

dont worry buddy i dont have time to waste here i just droped in to see if there might be a chance that fractal would do something without the amp modeling. if noti probably buy another ( btw i sold the 2 for three hundred more than i paid) i have not really missed it as far as amps go but i would like to get some cool effect and the fractal has by far the best bang for the buck.

Its funny how all the forums are the same. Every one is so ready for a fight . SO u really dont need to worry i do have better places to be.

no need to fight. although you did go out swinging :p

even if you did just use the current axe ii for effects and not use the amp modeling, aren't you in the same price range as other brands' effects only processors?

This is my #1 reason I don't see the need there. If you bought an effects box of equal capability and quality you'd be spending $2K or more. Major players using the FX only are proof enough of that. I agree it could be done cheaper, which might be one angle.

My guess (and it's only that) is that if they went to an FX only unit, they would use both processors so that it could do even more than it does now... longer loop times, more FX at one time, that sort of thing. If they built it for me, that's what I'd ask for!

I could see a need for an MFC effects-only with programming like a Standard. You could dial in each "pedal" the way you like, chain them together on a grid, output to an amp. You could program the MFC to have the effects where you want, etc.
Gives you a high-quality, small-footprint pedalboard for about as much money as you would spend on pedals alone.

Back
Top Bottom