Amps models.....too many?

Word out is Cliff is doing some male modeling for Zoolander 2 FAS amp release. Stay tuned.

:eek:

In all seriousness, I personally don't mind all the amp models, 'cuz even if I don't use them, they're there if I want to. As for what FAS puts into each update, whether it's new models or FX improvements or whatever, I go with it. There's only one Cliff, and he can only do so much.

And Tremonti, as much as people might complain, I think you have a valid discussion topic here.

I don´t think that we have too many amp models, and i´m gonna try to reply this question (english is not my mother tongue, sorry if i make some mistakes)

First of all, imho there´s "too many of something" when you have to sacrifice "another something" to keep their number, in terms of space, costs, etc. If that´s not the case: why is it "too many"?

Secondly, there are not 243 different "amps", but 243 different "channels of amps", including the "FAS versions": some of the amp models come from the same real amp, so we really have close to 100 amps with (more or less) all their channel options. If you really read the amps list, there are brands and models that we don´t have (for example: PRS amps models). So we can´t say we already have every amp that there is. FAS is trying to give all the options possible, not trying to "fill space" in our Axes... XD

Saludos. ;)

Last edited:
...there are not 243 different "amps", but 243 different "channels of amps", including the "FAS versions": some of the amp models come from the same real amp, so we really have close to 100 amps with (more or less) all their channel options.

thanks...almost posted the question to your answer!

I wonder if this would be a neat idea: We could choose what amp models we want loaded onto our Axe-Fx. That way, you don't have to scroll through a big list. Might be kind of cool. Not sure if it's doable. And if you still want all the amp models, you can load them all. I'm not real familiar with how a Kemper works, but isn't something of that nature where you load your own amps?
Perhaps have the ability to show/hide amps, with a 'show all' capability. You then only see the amps you're regularly interested in.

I think Cliff & FAS did a pretty good job with the Axe, I'll let him tell me when there's enough :)

On a side note, one of the most enduring conversations about guitarists is getting "that tone". Guys like Eric Johnson are famous for chasing it. I can't believe that another guitarist could even fathom the concept of "we've got every tone any guitarist wants right now". Instead of ceasing to add amps, I want more presets so I can dial through every amp and variation and not have to change the amp in a preset. 500 presets? okay. Sign me up. I have the "collector" gene, so all these additions are right up my ally. Bring 'em on. Every amp and every variation ever made!

The simple question is at what number of amps do we feel we need a better way to organize and sort through all the available amps? The answer is for some folks we are already at or past that point.

The simple question is at what number of amps do we feel we need a better way to organize and sort through all the available amps? The answer is for some folks we are already at or past that point.
Maybe this is the answer? A most used page of top 20. Cool thought!

Currently there are only two amps that work for me on my high gains. I know some people think we have plenty of high gain amps but I beg to differ. There are however, plenty of classic mid gain sounding amps that work great for me in many applications.
I had a dream that Cliff gave us all the actual amps in the Axe Fx and I had them stacked in my living room and some forum member was complaining because he only had a one room apartment so I offered to take some of the amps even though I already had the same amps.

I can think of at least 20 amps that arnt in the AFX d like to see. Some may well be close to ones already there - but they are different. There not all one type either.

Id like to see for instance (not going to name them all)

Two Rock Studio Pro 22. Its not the same as the Jet 35 we already have
Friedman Buxom Betty - a Fender take, but different
VHT/Fryette Ultra Lead
Anything from 65 Amps
Anything from Matamp

I do think we have more Fenders and Marshals than we need though. I would add Mesa to that as well, BUT there are some more obscure Mesa amps that Id like to see. A Heartbreaker and Mavrick for instance.

There are enough amps in their to cover most, if not all situations. However I still think there are a huge amount of drive pedals that could be added to the existing list.

IMHO many of them sound actually almost same with another. all the plexis, 100w or 50w, 1970, 1959s...set the speaker page same, use the same IR, with little tweaking you get them sound so close that there is barely a difference. in real world its harder to gain stage a 50w and 100w plexi with same amount of volume, but not in axe. i have also an issue sometimes with having too many options but literaly you can narrow it down to 1-2 AC30 style amp, 1-2 marshall and 1-2 fenders...with right amount of IRs it would cover all we might need...i am no high gainer thats why i dont mention that territory.

I can think of at least 20 amps that arnt in the AFX d like to see. Some may well be close to ones already there - but they are different. There not all one type either.

Id like to see for instance (not going to name them all)

Two Rock Studio Pro 22. Its not the same as the Jet 35 we already have
Friedman Buxom Betty - a Fender take, but different
VHT/Fryette Ultra Lead
Anything from 65 Amps
Anything from Matamp

I do think we have more Fenders and Marshals than we need though. I would add Mesa to that as well, BUT there are some more obscure Mesa amps that Id like to see. A Heartbreaker and Mavrick for instance.

+1 for the Heartbreaker or the Maverick. The lead channel doesn't seem to have any current representation. The clean channel is similar voicing to the Subway Blues with the distinction that the Blues is a non-MV amp and the Maverick has a MV, and doesn't sound great when dimed (like many Mesas). It also has the tube rectifier which significantly changes the chewiness and feel. I've always thought it felt like a Fender blackface into a saggy EL84 power amp.

It was Andy Timmons' go-to amp until he switched to the updated Lonestars, which are different beasts entirely.

Back
Top Bottom