Amps models.....too many?

I bet tons of people do this; they only want the music they personally like. They feel the store should cater to them, and their taste. The fact that someone else might have differing taste is totally irrelevant to them. Instead of being glad that they do have a selection of things they like, they would instead complain because there are also things they don't like.

It's an all too common mentality these days in society, and it's played into by social media, Fox "news" etc. essentially we only want to see opinions that match our own viewpoint.

Taking this back to the Axe, I'm sure many would ironically love even more sub variants of particular amps they use, and take away all the ones they don't.

200 amp models are great if they are all amps you like

I think of it more like the "app store" model. People say "I only need X amount of apps. I wish Apple or Google would get rid of all of this other stuff. I don't care." But then the next person needs a different X amount and type of apps. And so on and so forth. They each have "the long tail" effect working for them, and have over a million apps that allow the maximum number of people to be happy with the 10-30 apps that "only they care about".

Then, you look at, say, Windows Phone/Windows Desktop. They have 700K-800K of apps. Surely that's enough for millions to find the 10-30 apps that they use daily, right? Yet, they are missing a huge amount of "essential" games or chat apps or specialty apps or recent phenomenon apps that are popular with other platforms. No long tail.....very little satisfaction and engagement.

While Fractal quality is a huge and enduring selling point for the Axe-FX, constant, ample and varied content is most certainly another. Why would Cliff handicap that?

Wait, I change my mind; there's not a Fucking Fucker model in the Axe yet, so we need more amps! :D
-
Austin

I think this thread has won the prize to useless...and I also lost time to write it!
Go on FAS and thank you for the research and the news!! (amps, pedals, ..everything ;))

You guys are crazy. In this case more is always better. Or rather... adding more won't make amps already there worse.

No but the time they devote to making new amp models and updating and improving the existing ones etc. is the time that will be taken away from making new effect stuff.
I disagree that more is always better. I prefer quality over quantity. That is not to say that the amps are not quality.

Model lots of amps ..... It's the original Fractal Audio AxeFX (and now AX8) premise is it not?

Certainly shouldn't be a big concern to any end user I'd think as long as they've found usable amps.

Ive had the black box 2 years now and just got the JS JVM's in the last update. So all I can say is thanks FAS for still giving me free stuff 2 years after my purchase. Also thanks for the new JS JVM's. They kick ass....Keep those new amps and all that free stuff coming....

No but the time they devote to making new amp models and updating and improving the existing ones etc. is the time that will be taken away from making new effect stuff.
I disagree that more is always better. I prefer quality over quantity. That is not to say that the amps are not quality.

Possibly, but think of it this way...

The more amps they put in the Axe, the more the Axe will appeal to a wider and wider audience, which means more people will buy Axe-Fx's. The more people buy Axe-Fx's, the more money Fractal Audio gets to hire people who can model and reanalyze all those amps, which means Cliff has to spend less time doing the busy work of modeling and recapturing individual amps, which means Cliff and his other engineers can spend more of his time coming up with cool new features to add.

Last edited:
I use less than 4% of all the choices we have but I love that I have all the others should I choose to want to explore

oliver_zpsm6n4is7i.png

I think a lot of us are chasing a tone(s) in our heads. All these slight variations on a theme, and different models based on a particular lineage, provide different starting points for getting to that tone in your head. So even if someone only uses a single amp model out the 200+, that wide variety of models gave them a better chance of finding the right starting spot to build "that" tone.

So bring on the new models.

Love the expanding range of choices. As mentioned above, there's not as many as meets the eye if you group by channel / mode.
Would be great to someday see a cascading menu: Amp selection --> Channel selection --> Mode selection. But for now - the search function is your friend.

Amps and cabs are the colors in our sonic palette. You can always restrict how many you use, but it never hurts to have more to choose from.

I'd ultimately like to see the Axe include a model of every amp that ever was, along with exact models of every famous guitarist I've ever liked personal amps.

Basically the Axe could serve as the museum of record for guitar amplification technology. If its not in the Axe, then it never even existed in the first place.

EVERY.......SINGLE.........AMP.........IN.........THE........WORLD

From a Peavey Rage with 8" speaker to a Randall Century 200 to a Steel String Singer to a Keef's #3 Fender and tens of thousands more.

Looks like the original question keeps getting lost in the noise.

The answer from me is...no.

But this does bring up an interesting question. It comes down to the extreme need to tweak, tuck, hone, and finalize each amp so it's in some realm of *perfect*. The worst parts of us will want to do that with each amp...for the 'I need to FINISH this one' types. I will gladly admit to start out with I was in this group. The fact that we had 200+ amps meant I had my work cut out for me.

So...

Think back on the time where you had one amp. Were your options any better? You still tweaked the hell out of that thing every time you played, and some nights you were satisfied, others, not so much. Or the modelers, where you bonded with roughly 5 of the 25 available models, and STILL tweaked trying to scratch that itch.

Come on folks...the problem is not the equipment, the problem is with the operator (of which I am guilty too...) But I have learned to concentrate on a limited number of amps (roughly 20), and stretch out by browsing the Preset Exchange for new avenues.

But I DO love having those others sitting in the corner waiting for my eye to cast a baleful gaze their way...

R

Back
Top Bottom