Amps models.....too many?

Amp models are like women...the more the better. You may never get to plug into them all, and some seem mighty strange. But every once in a while you may take a chance with some exotic model and feel a new and exciting current run through your body.

There's actually a general term for this: analysis paralysis... And the restaurant with a huge menu is a great example!

For me, I don't mind all the choices because everyone has different preferences. I'm personally not a huge fan of Marshall or Fender for the most part... But lots of people are. I did spend about 30 minutes with the me 1970 Plexi and the JS models, though, and they sound very nice! If I were playing more distorted rock guitar stuff I would be all over those!

My opinion at this point would be that most of the common bases are covered. As far as new models, I'd prefer to see things that have a more distinct character from what is already in the box.

I think there is room for more European amps which are rarely available in the US, since I understand that Cliff needs physical access to the devices to model.

I'd love to see a Diezel Hagen 3rd channel or some more Engl amps like the Engl Special Edition or the Invader.

To cater to the largest number of people you need the widest array of choices. Personally, I'd like to have a model of every reputable amp and cab ever made in the box. I may not need or ever use most of them but they're there if I do. And no one's twisting anyone else's arm to use them, either. In the end, more choice is good for business.

Me, me, me, me...I, I, I...

The point is not that you or I as individuals are going to use 200+ amps at the gig or whatever. The point is that that huge list covers a wide array of sonic choices which serves a wide array of playing styles for a large number of players. While you or I may not care about yet another micro-tweek of a USA Mesa model, it might be just the thing that the guy who just replaced that exact amp with the Axe is looking for.

If effort is going to be spent, I'd prefer it to be spent on the effects end. However, I paid my money based on what was there when I bought it, so really I'm not too invested one way or another in what happens development-wise at this point. It's all gravy.
-
Austin
LOL because there's not enough variations of FX in the Axe as it is?:D

I just enjoy to try a new amp every now and then. Especially with new firmwares, I try some old ones again and sometimes I discover an old amp with a new FW to be right what I want.

A lot of the models are the same amp with different channels or variations of them, so basically you could divide the whole number with let's say 3. Take different playing styles and preferences in consideration and you can reduce the rest to a half. And that is pretty managable. I see no problem there.

Like in a restaurant with a big menu, if I want to eat steak, I'll just skip the fish.

First-world problems.
That's so funny because it's so true! Blessed with more than we need, and thankful for it. The freedom to play most any amp of consequence is only outdone by the ability to create amps that have never existed. The only thing I am less likely to do than own a $50K amp is to design one of my own.

I take no exception at all to the question. After all, for some, two is one too many. What a great problem to have, though.

I don't think Tremonti is complaining. Just thinking out loud about something many of us feel, IMHO. I know what he means...for me anyway I am over more amps but also have no problem with those that want them..
I mean really are there any amp sounds not already reachable? Maybe, but really. Really?

I like many of the other ideas already presented by others concerning FX, drive pedal presets, etc, etc, etc

I could live with more amp choices, but in reality I only use three our four, and my only concern is if there are more and more amp's added does it take more computing power, I would rather have a few perfect amp's then 2 thousand OK sounding amp's.

I could live with more amp choices, but in reality I only use three our four, and my only concern is if there are more and more amp's added does it take more computing power, I would rather have a few perfect amp's then 2 thousand OK sounding amp's.

No, it doesn't take more processing power. Only the selected amp model(s) utilize the CPU.

Sorry, I haven´t been active much on the forum for some time:

Which amp is the 'Keith Urban' amp, is it modelled of his amp or just the same model as he uses?

Sorry, I haven´t been active much on the forum for some time:

Which amp is the 'Keith Urban' amp, is it modelled of his amp or just the same model as he uses?
FW 19

"Added “5F8 Tweed” amp model based on a 1959 Fender Twin Amp. This particular model is based on Keith Urban’s “#1”. Thank you Keith for allowing us the use of your prized amplifier"

I love having more amps and options; though I would admit, it seems likely that many of the amps, tweeked, with so many IR options likely could sound VERY similar. I dont think we need options such as 'this amp with ' bright knob pressed, that has always seemed overkill, when we have a bright switch etc.

More Engl, Definitely need some 'solid state' like Randall. Of course 1+trillion for ADA, I just cant get that crazy paul gilbert sound from his original teaching video.

Pointless - just pick your 'go-to' amps and ignore the rest if you can't manage the huge list.
More choice is only a good thing.

Ever go to a restaurant that has a huge huge menu? It sometimes gets a tad busy. Your thoughts?

It's quite easy to whittle down a 'busy menu' to a few selections that interest you at that time.

Back
Top Bottom