Amps: If you like / you'll love / should try

ethrbunny

Inspired
I feel a bit stuck with some of my amp choices. I seem to be building most everything from 'Plexi Normal' and 'Herbie' and would love to branch out.. I know Im missing some great stuff but I seem to be playing it safe.

It would be fun to compile a thread with "if you like <x> you'll really like <y>" or "you should try <y>".

Live, I'm finding the Friedman BE and HBE to be pretty amazing. the trick is to keep the gain lower then you initially think.

...But I'm in same boat as you. Other then the Friedman, I basically stick to the Plexi Treble for most of my gigs. But keep in mind, what most folks don't really care to pay attention to is that there is only SO much variation an amp can make to a guitar signal. Most of the time, the difference between on amp to another in the real world is pretty tiny. We exaggerate their differences as players, but once put into a mix, especially live, the differences start to fall away.

Personally...I'm not too worried about having to use more then one or two amps. its the gain levels, EQ, and effects applied to those couple of amps that make the most variation live.... at least for me.

The cab IR is far more important. People get caught up on the amp when it's the cabinet that supplies most of the tone. Try those new Ownhammer beta IRs.

I've not been able to try these IR's just yet..
but I'm really looking forward to trying them pretty soon..

Q - are these IR's available to select from Axe-Edit or can I only see them from the front panel??

just so that I know where to go looking..

I'm a Plexi tone-lover myself and have been very pleased with the Suhr Badger, Trainwreck and Friedman BE. Currently the Badger is doing most of the heavy lifting in my patches though.

These were a game changer for me. Makes such a difference for FOH.
Rebuilt all my patches. Can't wait for more!

The cab IR is far more important. People get caught up on the amp when it's the cabinet that supplies most of the tone. Try those new Ownhammer beta IRs.

Yea im in the same boat too although im using an Ultra. I stick with the slo100 and the friedman BE. Those are my favs and i use the plexi a lot as well. I think when i get enough money for the axefx2 or 3 I will go FRFR.

True. But then there are those of us who don't run FRFR and use regular guitar cabs...

Q - are these IR's available to select from Axe-Edit or can I only see them from the front panel??

They're a download. You won't find them in your Axe by default. Once you copy them to your axe, you'll be able to use them just like any other "User Cab". Seriously worth it, they're very cool, particularly for higher gain stuff. I haven't given them much play with clean/low gain yet.

For me, so far, HiWatt, Plexi Treble, 59Bassman, VoxAC30 for cleans, HBE are all cool. I usually set the sag high, and fool around with the dynamics knob as well as the txformer drive parameter. A drive or a boost does wonders.
I'm sure this list will grow as more time is spent on the amps

They're a download. You won't find them in your Axe by default. Once you copy them to your axe, you'll be able to use them just like any other "User Cab". Seriously worth it, they're very cool, particularly for higher gain stuff. I haven't given them much play with clean/low gain yet.

ahhh... cool...

do you know where can I get them from?

^ This .... I was thinking one thing and typing another .... no alcohol or drugs involved either which is worrying ;)

I currently dont have an FRFR monitor and use a guitar cab (Gen Benz 2x12 stereo G-flex) and I am really liking the Atomica high and Splawn amp blocks as well as the Friedman HBE stuff (along with what OP mentions).

The more I try some of the cab IR's with my DAW makes me want to get an FRFR monitor soon! Those Ownhammer ones sound great...I can only imagine what they sound like live!

I have patches set up for Recording and use thru my amp->real cabs for basically anything that I'd use if I could afford to buy the real deals
JVM
Cameron Ch2
Friedman HBE
Atomica Hi
FAS 6160
Mark IV
Recto
Soldano Slo100
I know there are many more modlels that I could use that would 'fit the bill" but I've used most of these in "real life, so to speak"

I feel a bit stuck with some of my amp choices. I seem to be building most everything from 'Plexi Normal' and 'Herbie' and would love to branch out.. I know Im missing some great stuff but I seem to be playing it safe.

It would be fun to compile a thread with "if you like <x> you'll really like <y>" or "you should try <y>".

Why not create a poll of the top 10 and let users vote?? I just noticed that poll allows 10 options...maybe create 3 seperate polls...one for cleans one for crunchy high gain and one for very high gain type?? with users allowed to vote 1 in each catagory??

Back
Top Bottom