Amps for Tele?

JohnLutz

I've played Les Pauls all my life but on a whim I bought a Tele recently (Rio Grand single-coils). I have no clue how to dial in amps for a Tele can you help me out? What are your favorite amps for:

* clean
* edge of breakup
* crunch
* facemelt lead

Ask Tyler Grund (I believe), he had a freaking awesome Bogner Shiva tone a while back with a tele. Hands down the best rock tone I have ever heard come from a tele!

I've recently become a Strat owner coming from humbucker guitars (PRS) and I love it. I've increased the amp input trim, but after going through all of the AX8 presets now I am thinking i need to use compression sometimes now too.

I've been really digging the Two-Rock's for my tele lately.
And they really seem to sing into this cab:
055 — 4x12 PRE-ROLA 75 M160 (ML) Cab Pack 20

Which cab do you use with the Bogner Shiva? Is ist original a Comboamp? Which speaker?

The Blues Jr with matching cab and the Tape Distortion block in front is really great. Works with hum buckers too but its a Tele favorite of mine. Add a FuzzFace for Drive 2 and assign a footswitch to the amps Boost switch and you can cover a lot of ground. I also inversely tied the the Bright switch on the Amp block to that Boost footswitch so it is off when the Boost is on and on when the Boost is off.

I really like the Maz38 or whatever the model is called - the DrZ one for spanky tones. Also use the Deluxe model, basically anything in the Blackface Fender family will serve it well for clean to edge-of-breakup tones.

Running the FAS boost in front of the hot kitty model is one of my favorite drive tones, the 5f1 is also a great tele amp. For cleans my preference is the sf twin.

* clean
* edge of breakup
* crunch
* facemelt lead

* clean - Mr Z 38 | Fender Tweed/Double Verb
* edge of breakup - Two Stone J35 -2 | Boutique 1 (Matchless Chieftain)
* crunch - JVM 800 | Hot Kitty | Buttery
* facemelt lead - Angle Sever (Engl) <- recently discovered that one.... Oh man, it be nice ;)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. It's going to take a while to get through them all but I did try the Shiva as a platform for drive pedals and that was a great suggestion. In addition to the 808, the BB preamp sounded real nice to me as well. Also tried the Deluxe and Twin. These sound great even with the drive turned to "facemelt".

For clean, I was messing around with the Vox AC15 and found a magic switch. It was kind of dry and lifeless until I threw the saturation switch to "Ideal" and that added a beautiful harmonic sparkle.

John

I've played Les Pauls all my life but on a whim I bought a Tele recently (Rio Grand single-coils). I have no clue how to dial in amps for a Tele can you help me out? What are your favorite amps for:

* clean
* edge of breakup
* crunch
* facemelt lead

You could always take Joe Walsh's advice........ play Gibsons thru Fenders and play Fenders thru Marshalls. He always made them sound really good

Just some "FAVORITES" here.

* Clean - DOUBLE VERB, lately very much BOUTIQUE 1, HIPOWER rarely JC120?
* Edge of breakup - MORGAN AC20, any "CLASS A", DELUXE, others
* Crunch - ONE OF THE ABOVE WITH A DRIVE PEDAL also JUNIOR BLUES, BRIT SILVER
* Face melt lead - BRIT PRE, SHIVER LEAD

Back
Top Bottom