Amp X/Y or CC#?

rizzo

Inspired
Right now I am only using one amp for my band but I use X/Y to have 2 different gain levels. Is there a way to use one of the IAs to act as a modifier for the gain level? Using X/Y there is still a noticeable (very slight) gap when switching between the 2. If I can just use the IA as a modifier for the gain I would only need the X amp and would have no gap.

How would I set that up?

I noticed in the manual: Bonus! Reclaim pedalboard real estate with a “Wildcard” footswitch. (Hi Dweezil!) Set it to a CC# and assign this to an External Controller. Then assign this EXT source as needed to the bypass (mode) modifiers of different effects or settings across different presets.

Loving FW10 by the way. Killer stuff. Still haven't worked my way thru it all just yet.

It's in Axe-fx Wiki
How to boost the signal for leads:

There are several ways to boost the volume level for leads
Add a Filter block at the end of the grid, set to NullFilter with Level at 4, 5 or 6 dB. Assign the CC for the filter (I/O > Ctrl) to your MIDI foot controller or to a directly connected switch or pedal. You can program your MIDI foot controller to enable this “Filter boost” simultaneous with activating a Drive effect and maybe Delay. Just use the same CC for the filter and the other effects (I/O > Ctrl). Some users prefer this to turning up the Drive effect's level
Use a Mixer block and attach an external controller (pedal)
Use a PEQ or GEQ block with Level turned up, and maybe a Drive tied to the same foot controller switch
Use a pedal or switch to turn up the Drive and Master Volume of the Amp block
Create a global "Boost" without having to modify each preset. Matman's trick: set the CC of an IA SWITCH on the controller to that of OUT1 VOLUME. Set the OFF value to (for example) "111" (unboosted level) and set the ON value to "127" (boosted level). Don't forget to add a second CC for OUT2 VOLUME, or assign OUT2 to the same CC as OUT1. Source

Use scenes and you have absolute no gap.
You have, if you use X/Y changing of amps (maybe because you have a stereo amp setup).
There's no way around it other than using external controls for gain adjusting or clever building of scenes so that the "next" amp is always the other block instance and pre-selected in the predecessor scene in bypassed state.

I'm switching x-y via scenes and I'm not noticing a gap

there does seem to be a small delay but it's not upsetting me
it's not as fast as using an all modifier solution
that said, the extra capability scenes bring is too powerful to ignore

I use 2 AMPS. Set bypass to mute and use 2 CC's on my LF Jr to switch between the amps.

I'm switching x-y via scenes and I'm not noticing a gap

there does seem to be a small delay but it's not upsetting me
Well there is a small gap when switching x and y between amps, but I noticed it really depends on the total CPU load and the amp models used.
I think it depends on how close the amps are in terms of gain structuring. Two very similar amps seem to have less of a gap when switching.

Easiest way is to mod gain directly in the amp block.
Just go to the amp block to gain and hit enter to open the window to assign an external modifier to the gain parameter.
Next thing to do is to make an assignment for that external modifier. That nees to be done in the midi ctrl menu. There is a list that shows the ext mods 1-24 and the assigned midi CC numbers.
Two ways to do it:
1. Let the list in the axe untouched and change the midi cc number at your footboard.
2. Let your footboard untouched and change the number in the axe's list...take a look at the whole list to avoid your number beeing assigned to more than your parameter.

Now you have a certain cc number assigned to an external mod and the external mod assigned to gain.
It's the same way for any parameter.
You could assign additional effect parameter to the same external modifier, like gain and volume and delay mix or something alike.

Well there is a small gap when switching x and y between amps, but I noticed it really depends on the total CPU load and the amp models used.
I think it depends on how close the amps are in terms of gain structuring. Two very similar amps seem to have less of a gap when switching.

I'll make a bit of a guess here.....
I'll guess that any delay / gap is pretty much the same because irrespective of the type of amp, the same processes need to be gone through to load the DSP with the target amp 'data / config' when switching from X to Y..
However, if the amp types being switched are similar tonally, I suspect you may perceive that delay / gap as being shorter because it's a little less obvious

I'll make a bit of a guess here.....
I'll guess that any delay / gap is pretty much the same because irrespective of the type of amp, the same processes need to be gone through to load the DSP with the target amp 'data / config' when switching from X to Y..
However, if the amp types being switched are similar tonally, I suspect you may perceive that delay / gap as being shorter because it's a little less obvious
It really depends on how the Axe' code is written, actually. Depending on the complexity of the model, there might be more variables or data to be load. It also depends on how complex the different algorythms are. Different types of code require a different amount of runtime to reach execution state. But you might be right. I guess I'll check that in a DAW and measure the gap just out of curiosity.

This answers the OP's question directly. Nicely done.
Just go to the amp block to gain and hit enter to open the window to assign an external modifier to the gain parameter.
Next thing to do is to make an assignment for that external modifier. That nees to be done in the midi ctrl menu. There is a list that shows the ext mods 1-24 and the assigned midi CC numbers.
Two ways to do it:
1. Let the list in the axe untouched and change the midi cc number at your footboard.
2. Let your footboard untouched and change the number in the axe's list...take a look at the whole list to avoid your number beeing assigned to more than your parameter.

Now you have a certain cc number assigned to an external mod and the external mod assigned to gain.
You could assign additional effect parameter to the same external modifier, like gain and volume and delay mix or something alike.

Two ways to do it:

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks for all of the other input. The idea here is to keep my CPU level down and not have any gap at all. Since I use only one amp with only a change in gain level for a basic low gain amp/high gain amp setup a modifier seems like the best way for me to achieve what I'd like to do. I use scenes. I've tried 2 amps and X/Ying an amp and there is still a noticeable (to me - which is what really matters) gap that I would like to not have. I will let ya know how it works out.

I finally had a chance to try this. All works great except I cannot get it to save the state that I want it to be in per scene.

For example I want Scene 1, 2, & 3 to all be in the "off position" (which would have the drive at 4). Scene 4 & 5 I would like in the "on" position (drive at 7.5). Scene always comes up with IA off (light off/red). Is there an XMIT with preset setting that I am missing?

Remember to save the preset after making changes to a scene before changing scenes. Otherwise your changes are lost on scene change.

I did and it still defaults back to off/red state. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. It doesn't seem to be saving the switch in the state I would like it to stay.

Last edited:
Does it work if you change scenes with the A control knob on the Axe? Maybe with the MFC disconnected?
If so, it might be something about the MFC. I do not own one and so I can't advise on how to set it.

Last edited:
No idea. I can get it to save the state per preset but not per scene. Tried everything I can think of. The MFC manual I have doesn't even discuss scenes.

When I got home I did some testing. I know that you can use an external modifier to control the gain level but unless there is a way to make your MFC change the state of that controller (IA switch) on scene changes then I don't see how that will work for you.
If you use voes method of two amps with only the gain level different and use an IA switch to choose the amp there is still a problem with scene changes. When you switch scenes, that IA is still going to be controlling which amp is bypassed. The IA is still going to stay in the same position (on or off) on scene change.
At least that's the case with my All Access. It does not receive information from the AXE so it doesn't. The MFC and the Liquid Foot controllers may have this capability.
Wish I could figure out a way to make it work for you.

Back
Top Bottom