amp similar to laney iommi/sabbath

guitarsrule

Inspired
My band is doing some sabbath covers and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for an amp (in the Axe 2) similar to Iommi's signature Laney or any other amps that would get close to a sabbath tone. Thanks

I've had difficulty replicating the Sabbath tone also. Right now I'm using the Hot Kitty since it seems to come closest. I dare say there's an amp/pedal combo that would work better but I haven't the patience to work it out.

Well too be honest I haven't really messed with any amps yet to try to get a sabbath type tone, I was just asking to get some feedback where I might start. I know Iommi has a sig. Laney but I would imagine there some brit models in the axe that would do. Thanks for the Hot Kitty tip though, I will try that.

Off the top head:
At least during the earlier days.
I seem to remember that he basically just cranked everything and also used a treble booster right after the guitar.

Try the Corncob (Cornford) with a 4*12 v30 cab. With a tube driver in front this gets me into Sabbath territory.

Mind you this is Heaven and Hell era Sabbath.

Early Sabbath guitar tones are deceivingly epic to re-create.

To my ears there is a kind of sheen on the tone that sounds like post EQ and tape saturation effects. It gives it that transformer processed tone (big iron desk); low mids but with a nice bite on the top end. But it's not clear top end, like an API EQ.

LOL. One of the Plexi Jump Leads with a drive block that has boosted treble. Iommi's archetypal Sabbath tone is basically boosted Marshall plexi-era British stack. If you want to mimic tape effects on the recording etc I guess it is complicated but the base tone is dirt simple. A Sabbath tone is one of the first things I dial in on any amp sim.

Back
Top Bottom