Amp Sim Clipping...

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
The Axe-fx can definitely get much louder than what the X3 or HD500 series modellers can from Line 6 so I don't know how to word my question, but I'll try my best... If I start with a clean preset with only an amp sim, then proceed to crank up the master a bit... why do I get clipping when I pass "noon" on the MV? I know it's been said "that is why there is a Level in the amp sim" but most amps don't have any kind of level or better yet, the amps I've tried never show any kind of "internal clipping"... if you crank it, you crank it. I'm just trying to understand why I can't crank the MV on a high gain sim without it clipping like crazy? I hope I asked that correctly... Thanks!

I hope I understand this correctly...apologies if not. As you are increasing the Master Volume, are you also DECREASING the Level control to compensate for the increase in gain from jacking up the MV? I believe that is the point of the Level control.

I noticed this on my clean amps. If the MV is cranked it sounds as if it's clipping or a bit distorted. I used to use the MV cranked and turn down the level in the amp block.
I can correct it by keeping the MV around 4-6 now. Then it cleans right up.

for reference, p 52/53 of the AxeFxII owner's manual regarding use of the Master Volume control.

The Axe-fx can definitely get much louder than what the X3 or HD500 series modellers can from Line 6 so I don't know how to word my question, but I'll try my best... If I start with a clean preset with only an amp sim, then proceed to crank up the master a bit... why do I get clipping when I pass "noon" on the MV? I know it's been said "that is why there is a Level in the amp sim" but most amps don't have any kind of level or better yet, the amps I've tried never show any kind of "internal clipping"... if you crank it, you crank it. I'm just trying to understand why I can't crank the MV on a high gain sim without it clipping like crazy? I hope I asked that correctly... Thanks!

You're not clipping the amp. You're clipping the signal somewhere in the digital domain. Cannot be compared to traditional amps.

You can use Amp Level or another block's level to decrease the signal strength.

Output: avoiding clipping - Axe-Fx II Wiki

Does this mean that even though I would only be using the amp sim and nothing else (during the tests) I would still need to think of it as a "recording" where I need to adjust levels and such to prevent clipping? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I only have an amp sim... would it be incorrect to think of the amp block as its real counterpart where there is no LEVEL control?

I,ve had the same problem also with output clipping,More with clean amps .Did find that different speakers ,whether it would be stock or not,some seem to clip more than others

Does this mean that even though I would only be using the amp sim and nothing else (during the tests) I would still need to think of it as a "recording" where I need to adjust levels and such to prevent clipping? I guess what I'm trying to ask is if I only have an amp sim... would it be incorrect to think of the amp block as its real counterpart where there is no LEVEL control?
What you have to remember is that like yek said you are not clipping the amp block or any other block. You are clipping tha da converters. If it makes you feel better you don't have to turn down the amp level you can turn down the main volume for the preset and the clipping will stop.For those that find they have a lot of patches clipping and don't want to go through the process of gain staging correctly, you can just turn down the global volume for the output that is clipping.

Does this mean that even though I would only be using the amp sim and nothing else (during the tests) I would still need to think of it as a "recording" where I need to adjust levels and such to prevent clipping?
If you were in a room with a SLO 100 cranked your ears were "clipping".

There are louder and softer amps, plus the clean ones clip easily because they are more dynamic than the high gain amps.

Even real amp clip if turned high enough. Problem with, say, a Twin reverb is that nobody is going to turn it all way up and strum a chord as louder as he can. :) When I play a DR, I NEVER go past 3 or 4 in master volume (with high drive and level) because it fart and clip.

Cure to clipping:
Locate the source: if turning down amp level the clip goes away, it's a converter and/or external stage clipping... i.e. monitor or audio board... try lowering out level or pad down output level...
If turning down amp level the clip remains, it's a poweramp clipping. Try lowering the negative feedback, lowering the master, cut low in preamp... choose the mix of parameters that lead to a sound you like. If hi-gain is your target, I suggest to rely on preamp saturation rather than poweramp.

Back
Top Bottom