Bug? Amp Output Volume Changes after saving

mrtheedge2u

Inspired
For some reason as I've been doing editing with AX8 and the AX8 Edit, then when I take the midi cord out to just run through all of the presets I've created,and perhaps make additional tweaks on the board itself, the output volumes on the amp sims change. For example, I have been using the VU meter when finalizing my presets to try and standardize the volume the best I can. I get it near perfect, then I save the preset, and move on to the next one. If I come back the next day, I'll notice all of the same presets that were "finished", now about 6 db's higher than when I left them.

Heres some helpful info. I'm not new to fractal, I know how to save presets properly. I literally change nothing else in the preset nor my guitar settings or other variables, and mysteriously the setting for the output volume on the amp block changes. For example, if I leave the output volume set to -4db, and the VU meter is right on, and save it, then come back to it later, sometimes the same day or session, and it's jumped to a higher db.

Does it maybe have anything to do with the fact that I am saving them ON the AX8 itself sometimes, and other times in the AX8 edit? I'm wondering if I make edits to the board itself, then reconnect to the AX8 Edit that the AX8 saved preset will override the one I have saved on the board?

Just happened to me again. Last night I edited all of my amp output settings to be perfect on every preset. I turn off the AX8, come back today, and voila! They are all about 6-8 db lower and its infuriating....

Are you seeing any actual parameters change from where you saved them? Or do you just mean the VU meters are showing you something different each time?

VU meter inconsistency could be as simple as a bad cable, or volume knob on guitar got bumped, or a number of other possibilities.

...when I take the midi cord out to just run through all of the presets I've created,and perhaps make additional tweaks on the board itself, the output volumes on the amp sims change.
If I read that right, you've got something hooked up via MIDI, and when you disconnect that something, you volumes change. I'd take a look at what you've got connected via MIDI.

If I read that right, you've got something hooked up via MIDI, and when you disconnect that something, you volumes change. I'd take a look at what you've got connected via MIDI.
No, just my computer via USB for AX8 Edit , sorry, not midi.

Try this:

Tweak your preset and do your save. Then quit AX8-Edit, but leave the cable connected. Do you still get a level change?

Then disconnect the cable and look for the level change.

Here's what I've figured out so far. It looks as if when I leave the board powered off overnight, the Amp Output levels haven't changed, but the VU meter and actual output volume does. So for example, if I have the output of the amp set to -6.2 db, and the VU meter is perfect when I save it, then when I power it back up, the setting of the amp volume is still at -6.2db, but the VU meter is now only reaching about halfway to the line, and the actual volume is significantly cut, therefore I have to raise the output 1 level another 15% or so to get the volume right.

Am I making any sense FAS??

Here's what I've figured out so far. It looks as if when I leave the board powered off overnight, the Amp Output levels haven't changed, but the VU meter and actual output volume does. So for example, if I have the output of the amp set to -6.2 db, and the VU meter is perfect when I save it, then when I power it back up, the setting of the amp volume is still at -6.2db, but the VU meter is now only reaching about halfway to the line, and the actual volume is significantly cut, therefore I have to raise the output 1 level another 15% or so to get the volume right.

Am I making any sense FAS??
This totally sounds like a MIDI command. Do you have any kind of pedal or controller connected to your axe?

Can you please upload a preset.

Was any other MIDI/recording software running while the AX8 was on?

Sometimes a program might send MIDI commands to available ports upon opening/closing or various other actions.

In addition to posting a preset, can you check the I/O: Controllers menu and state what "input volume" and "output 1 volume" are set to?

Back
Top Bottom