Amp Models That Pair Well Together

Ben.Last

Experienced
I've been looking around the internet in general and trying to find some fairly easy to reference guides for amps that happen to pair together well, whether for double/quad tracking, for live, or for whatever. I actually haven't been able to find much. Forum posts here and there, but not a whole lot. And there seems to be even less, for some reason, when it comes to Axe FX models that pair well.

So, I figured I'd start a thread for people to suggest some. Just list off the models you find that work well and any details that you feel are integral to them pairing well together, such as whether you put them in a patch together, use them for double tracking, cabs, settings, etc.

I'll start, obviously (even though part of why I'm starting this thread is that I've been having trouble getting things to work):

I'm finding that Recto1 Org Modern and Uber work well for a thick, high gain tone when double tracked and put in a mix. I'm still trying to nail down a tone that I'm completely happy with, but those models seem to compliment each other well. I haven't tried building a single patch with both models mixed together. Both models get a null filter before the amp block, with high and low pass filters imitating those on the 808 model. I'm still trying to sort out what IRs are ideal. I currently have the 4x12 153 Mix #1 UR and TEH Shure SM57 B1 on my Recto patch and CK's Zero Dollar IR on my Uber patch (this may change as I go back into it to set up dual cabs)

Ac30TB, Plexi

Yep.. classic and can really add some clarity to an overdriven tone.

The only other suggestion I might add is to try incorporating the 1x6 oval cab into the mix, either using two amps or mixing it with a more typical cab like a 4x12, etc. I like doing this with my Les Paul in particular for a couple of presets. This goes for low to mid gain type sounds.. not clean.

Take a look at Tyler Grund's (Gamedojo) SRV presets for an example on pairing two different Fender amps where each does something a little different..
http://tylergrund.com/axefx2.html

In my last band (and in many of my own recordings), we found pairing a Recto with a Mark created a decent high-gain Mesa-flavored tone. The Recto gives you the "growl" and the Mark gives you the "teeth". This pairing also works well for solo parts: using the scooped Mesa tone for rhythm leaves a nice gap for the mids of the Marks.

I watched Animals As Leaders live about a month ago and I looked at Javier's Axe after they were done and he was using the Friedman BE and Diezel VH4 for his rhythm tone. Specifically, Ch. 3, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom