Amp levels - Where do you all set it at?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I know this varies from hot P/U guitar and what amp you are using. But thought it would be interesting where you all have things set for say DIrty, Clean, Etc...

Don't have my AX8 or II here, but I think the range for me is from around -3dB to -17dB depending on amp and amount of gain.

The amp Level control is entirely dependent on Input Drive, Master Volume and numerous other settings.

I set it exactly where it gets me a level that is matched with my other presets... Which is the hash mark on the VU meter.

Edit:

It's also very dependent on the amp model.

Use the VU meters to level all amps to 0dB when striking an open G chord. That's how we do all the presets, and it gives you ample headroom.

Keep in mind, the level control is 100% independent of the tone controls. It is a completely transparent level used to account for the huge differences in the relative levels of the different amps. So bringing two different amps to zero may--will--require two very different levels. Ex: you may have a USA LEAD at -17 and a USA CLEAN at 0 to get them at the same VU level.

Use the VU meters to level all amps to 0dB when striking an open G chord. That's how we do all the presets, and it gives you ample headroom

Please ignore my ignorance, but what is an open G chord? To put this in perspective, I played in bar bands for 15 years prior to knowing the string names (notes) :confused:

i understand the original question, but honestly the resulting number in the Amp Level is basically meaningless. it's due to the way an amp generates level.

on the same amp, depending on Gain, Trim, EQ and other settings, it may need to be +6 dB or -35dB to create the same perceived loudness or meter reading. so even on that same amp, the level can vary widely enough that there is no consistent number.

so even if a bunch of people post like -12dB or -8dB, that's really not a consistent sign of anything. just fyi.

if anything, i'd say a Level of -40dB to +6dB or so might be a typical range, with the average perhaps being around -12dB? but again, that's really a guess since it depends solely on all the settings in the Amp block, and also if you boost somewhere else in the preset yet adjust the final level with the Amp.

"open g" is just a big sounding chord that uses all 6 strings, including open strings, and used because it has a large range. you could also use an open E chord, but something about the open G seems better for a sound check purpose. most hold it like this

Use the VU meters to level all amps to 0dB when striking an open G chord. That's how we do all the presets, and it gives you ample headroom.

Keep in mind, the level control is 100% independent of the tone controls. It is a completely transparent level used to account for the huge differences in the relative levels of the different amps. So bringing two different amps to zero may--will--require two very different levels. Ex: you may have a USA LEAD at -17 and a USA CLEAN at 0 to get them at the same VU level.

This is the best advice anyone could possibly give IMHO.

I like open G and open C, but also will use a 5th position Amaj triad including open A string.

Is the neck the thing with the wires going down it??
No, it is the stump your head sits on... Which is apparently cutting off the flow of blood to your brain...

Sorry, I wasn't sure you're previous post was serious... Now I know better.

Back
Top Bottom