Amp Dynamics

trancegodz

Fractal Fanatic
I want to be able to get a very clean sound even if I pick fairly hard. What parameters for the amp block control this, and how would you suggest setting them so a clean sound doesn't distort when you pick hard? It looks like these features below found in the Dynamics section of the amp block may do it. Are there any others?

Output Compression – This controls the ratio of a compressor speci cally tailored to reduce the output dynamic range of the amp block. A gain reduction meter shows the amount of compression when this parameter row is selected.

Compressor Type – Sets the type of Output Compression. The “OUTPUT” type simply compresses the output. The “FEEDBACK” type likewise compresses the block output, but also applies dynamics to the input of the block, so you will also get more distortion as you play harder and less when you play softer or roll back the volume.

Compressor Threshold – Sets the threshold of Output Compression. A lower value causes compression to occur for quieter signals.

Compressor Clarity – Used in conjunction with the other Output Compression parameters, this adjusts the bass response of the compressor and can be used to add clarity to the low end.

I think it's really just about Input Drive, Input Trim and possibly Master Volume (depending on amp model).

Use something like the JC-120 or USA Clean models.

Also, you can stick a compressor before the amp, fast attack, lower threshold, high compression level. That will clamp down on the transients.

I want to be able to get a very clean sound even if I pick fairly hard.
Reduce Amp gain. There's no way around it. All the compression in the world won't clean up a signal that's already dirty from driving the amp sim into distortion.

If you don't want to deal with the unavoidably-wide dynamic range of a completely clean signal, drop a Compressor block in front of the Amp block.

I thought I'd read somewhere on the forum that there was an advanced amp feature that you could set to adjust how soon the amp went into distortion when picking harder. That is what I am trying to find.

Last edited:
I thought I'd read somewhere on the forum that there was an advanced amp feature that you could set to adjust how soon the amp went into distortion when picking harder. That is what I am trying to find.

As noted, it’s usually gain - turn down input trim and gain.

On an Axe II, there are advanced params called Dynamic Presence and Dynamic Depth which iirc change distortion character by how hard you play - for those frequencies.

However, these are always set to zero for every amp model. So turning them up is just going to increase the effect. Not sure that gives you what you want.

+1 on the gain staging recommendations and compressor. Input trim must be optimized.

Many amps don't have much clean headroom. For an amp with limited headroom: Compression can be used to keep from driving it into distortion: Give the studio compressor a go: As a quasi-limiter: fastest attack and hard ratio (8:1 or more) and threshold set about -12db to subdue just the peaks. If it sounds squished, Adjust the mix to about 70% in parallel to maintain the overall amp sound of the wider dynamics. If you want to compress the overall clean dynamics the threshold can be lowered: or try the other compressor models to provide their unique character.

Or try an amp model with tons of clean headroom: Like the Hiwatt, USA Clean, or the clean channel on a Deizel. Won't need a compressor. However, a touch of Opto compression can offer a nice fluidity at times when the tone could benefit from being less strident.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom