Amp- Comet 60 - is EQ so weak?

I don't agree that he's "missing" anything...

If you don't need those controls they do nothing for you.
I think I know what you mean and I (mostly) agree with you.
It is my experience though that without them I wouldn't be able to use some of the amps I love now, they are just not exactly "there" to me - until I open Ideal page and/or some other favorite parameters in the Amp block.
Same for Cab block - you don't need Preamp page, but once you get a taste of it, you are never coming back.

It's not only Amp, it's also guitar/pickups, fingers, speakers, etc. - Advanced pages allow you to make the final adjustments to get "there" every time with almost any amp.

For me (Ax3, Latest FW), B-M-T-P on the "Tone" (Authentic) page definitely all do something - I can hear audible differences for each control - not extreme, but not subtle either. I also find the gain much more in Axfx than in demo's I've seen of physical Komet 60s (I can't get near as clean just with the "Tone" (authentic) page controls, even with my vintagy strat).

Last edited:
For me (Ax3, Latest FW), B-M-T-P on the "Tone" (Authentic) page definitely all do something - I can hear audible differences for each control - not extreme, but not subtle either. I also find the gain much more in Axfx than in demo's I've seen of physical Komet 60s (I can't get near as clean just with the "Tone" (authentic) page controls, even with my vintagy strat).
The Komet 60 and the Concorde have a "Touch Response" switch that controls the gain. Our models have the switch in the hi-gain position.

The gain of our models matches that of our reference amps. The demos you've watched probably have the switch in the low-gain position.

The Komet 60 and the Concorde have a "Touch Response" switch that controls the gain. Our models have the switch in the hi-gain position.

The gain of our models matches that of our reference amps. The demos you've watched probably have the switch in the low-gain position.
Ah, k, that's it - reading more info about it here in Yek's Guide (Gradual / Fast "Touch Sensitivity" switch). Trim @ 0.25 yields the "Gradual" switch setting - gets me in the clean zone now 👍

Ah, k, that's it - reading more info about it here in Yek's Guide (Gradual / Fast "Touch Sensitivity" switch). Trim @ 0.25 yields the "Gradual" switch setting - gets me in the clean zone now 👍
Not wanting to be an arse, but see second post of thread.

An important part of understanding Komet amps is understanding their lineage and who Ken Fischer and Trainwreck amps were all about.

I also realized when I said I didn’t have experience with the Comet 60 I was wrong and had just be using it. I had recently purchased the DynaCab Pack 2X12 Class A 30 Watt and was wanting to look for a good AC 30 model which I figured would be a Vox AC30. Upon reading Wiki info and quotes from Cliff I realized the Comet 60 would be a good model to use.

Anyway, I was able to get a great straight ahead rock sound that was super touch sensitive and cleaned up nicely with guitar volume. In fact it was the first time of was able to get a convincing Brian May tone ala’ Tie Your Mother Down. I’m sure pickup type will be very influential on exactly how the amp responds. The Brian May stuff came from tweaking the tone and volume on the guitar just right. As a disclaimer, the Brian May tone was more a fluke and generally I would just say that getting a great rock to mostly clean is what you’re going to get. If your looking for a channel switching type “clean then mean” it’s not the amp for that job. Well I’m sure with distortion, fuzz and other FX you could push it anywhere. But you could do that better with other amps.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom