Amp Block Compression

Yesterday when playing the Axe through my Matrix GT1000fx amp, I discovered that using a multiband compressor (more or less at default settings) after the amp produced a more pleasing response (not as woofy) when playing palm muted chords and the whole feel in general was more "explosive". I was therefore wondering: is there any parameter in the Amp block to obtain this effect "naturally"?

Leon did a video on this topic - see here. I notice he continues to use a MBC in his presets lately so I don't think this capability can be done within the amp block. Would be a good wish though as it's very cpu expensive to use an MBC just for that purpose.

Why would an MBC in the Amp block be less CPU-intensive?
to get the effect Leon demonstrates only one of the 3 MBC bands is used, so a more simplified algorithm might be able to be deployed within the amp block for this purpose (or the existing amp compression feature might be able to be modified to allow users to narrow the band of compression).

I feel like I had this is a wishlist item a while ago, probably as a request for a "chug", 'sculpt" or "tight" parameter/type for the amp block output comp. It would be pretty cool having both the input boost option and a narrow band MBC/Dynamic EQ - you'd have everything you need for the ultimate tight metal tones in the amp block alone.

Edit - yep! https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp-block-chug-parameter.147415/#post-1742941

it adds latency, i think that’s inevitable for any MBC even as plugins for DAWs.

I am sure Cliff would find a way to solve it (like it’s off in the amp block when not used) but what i am trying to say is...it’s probably way more complicated than adding a parameter to amp block.

Why would an MBC in the Amp block be less CPU-intensive?
If this was "built into the Amp block" wouldn't that shift the load to the CPU that handles the amps, which I believe has been mentioned still has a fair amount of unused capacity, and of course remove it from the CPU that handles the effects? Very possible that its too early and I've missed something crucial. lol Cheers, Lee

If this was "built into the Amp block" wouldn't that shift the load to the CPU that handles the amps, which I believe has been mentioned still has a fair amount of unused capacity, and of course remove it from the CPU that handles the effects? Very possible that its too early and I've missed something crucial. lol Cheers, Lee
Good point! The processing would move to the amp side cpu. Hopefully there is unused capacity there - was wondering about that a few firmwares ago when some dual amp presets (with a lot of amp features like compression were turned on) appeared to be hitting amp side cpu limits (crackling) - was relieved when Cliff fixed the issue.

YMMV but I must say I'm liking this MBC trick a lot in nearly all the presets. It gets me much closer to what I experience with the note attack / response / feel when playing through my tube heads.

Weird.
I just did it on my FM3, and without touching any parameters, it just sounds fuller, definitely louder on the Out block meter, maybe that’s what we are hearing.

Weird.
I just did it on my FM3, and without touching any parameters, it just sounds fuller, definitely louder on the Out block meter, maybe that’s what we are hearing.
check Leon's vid for the parameters - definitely not default - a little compression only on 90-350Hz - I try to set mbc level to be even (no gain/no cut overall). Gets rid of boomy palm mutes, but overall MBC may do other things that people like - I generally try to avoid compression unless it really gives a good return for investment as in this case

While I'm well aware of the "louder=better" perception, the compression clearly gives a much nicer, rounder attack (also at 0db level settings on the 3 MBC channels). I find the amp models in the Axe tend to lack in that department - without the compressor, I don't get that feeling of wanting to dig into the strings with my pick. With the MBC using the settings below, the response is so much more compact and bouncy to the slight detriment of the top end chiminess. Another way to get a similar effect is to lower the Supply Sag to around 0.5, which makes the notes more defined, but the MBC trick seems to allow to retain the benefits of a cranked amp (sizzle etc.) while staying nice and defined. Perhaps there is yet an amp block improvement to be discovered that would implement this kind of midrange compression naturally as part of the modeling.PXL_20201020_130632813.jpg

If low cpu impact in amp block, okay - or at least an ability to turn off. Otherwise amp cpu will keep increasing even for those of use who don't need it.

I feel like I had this is a wishlist item a while ago, probably as a request for a "chug", 'sculpt" or "tight" parameter/type for the amp block output comp. It would be pretty cool having both the input boost option and a narrow band MBC/Dynamic EQ - you'd have everything you need for the ultimate tight metal tones in the amp block alone.

Edit - yep! https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/amp-block-chug-parameter.147415/#post-1742941

can we please call it the Tuco control?

1603344503216.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom