Implemented Amp block channel switching

It would be nice, when I'm switching between channels in Amp block and Amp type in source channel is the same as Amp type in destination channel, Amp will be not muted (audible silence for a short time) during load and setup parameters but just parameters are changed.

For example:
  • Amp 1 - Channel A - Type = USA JP IIC+ Yellow (gain 1, input boost off, ...)
  • Amp 1 - Channel B - Type = USA JP IIC+ Yellow (gain 5, input boost on, ...)
  • Amp 1 - Channel C - Type = USA JP IIC+ Green (...)
  • Amp 1 - Channel D - Type = USA JP IIC+ Red (...)
Channels switching (Amp1) :
  1. A->B (no mute, set params),
  2. B->A (no mute, set params),
  3. A->C (mute,set params,unmute),
  4. C->D (mute, set params, unmute),
  5. D->A (mute, set params, unmute),
  6. A->B (no mute, setparams),
  7. B->A (no mute, set params)
  8. ...

Pretty certain the mute is required no matter whether you change the model or not because a step function or rapid change in values can cause popping on the AMP block as things settle.

Same reason some parameters aren't ever going to be controller-assignable: changing them in real time would cause all kinds of problems and noise.

@iaresee:
In replying to @ales.prochazka, you cite the problem of...
...a step function or rapid change in values can cause popping...
...which I think we've all experienced before...for certain parameters.

But I think there are other parameters for which this problem doesn't exist. One can assign a modifier to, say, the Low/Mid/High EQ knobs on the Amp Model. After doing that, you can play while rolling your continuous controller pedal back and forth, and not hear any zipper noise. And while I don't have my gear with me right now, I think the same is true of basically all the parameters of an Amp Model which are represented by a knob (e.g. Presence, Input Drive, etc.). I think you get a "popping" problem only with parameters associated with a switch (like the Bright switch).

Come to think of it, it seems likely that the same is true of most other blocks, also: If there's a knob rather than a switch, most of the time you can assign a modifier to it and not get "zipper noise."

So I propose a slightly-more-sophisticated version of @ales.prochazka's WISH:
I propose that for any block (not just Amp Models) wherein the differences between Channel A and Channel B involve parameters which don't produce "zipper noise" when assigned a continuous controller, changing from Channel A to Channel B would be accomplished by changing the values of the parameters, not by the usual Mute-Change-Unmute process.

Amp channel switching speed has been improved in 14.06.

Here here!!

Amp will be not muted (audible silence for a short time) during load and setup parameters but just parameters are changed.
I propose that for any block (not just Amp Models) wherein the differences between Channel A and Channel B involve parameters which don't produce "zipper noise" when assigned a continuous controller, changing from Channel A to Channel B would be accomplished by changing the values of the parameters, not by the usual Mute-Change-Unmute process.

Sounds ideal in principle. Would probably require a lot of detective work to determine, internally flag, and maintain all such parameters. Also, it could be that while individual parameter changes don't cause audible artifacts, changing several at once could.

Is latest switching speed fast enough?

Back
Top Bottom