Amp Block Bias Tremolo...

Rotti

Fractal Fanatic
...WOW!

I spent the other night playing around with the bias tremolo in the amp block. This thing is glorious! It's exactly what I've been trying (and failing) to get from the regular trem block, something that's less of an actual tremolo and more of a pulsating "vibe" kind of effect.

Swampy. Goodness.

BUT...

...does anyone know of a way to turn it on/off with an IA switch? I can attach a modifier and set a slope so steep that just barely backing off my expression pedal will open it up, but what I'd prefer is a positive "click, it's on" kind of setup. I don't really need to modify the depth (or rate, for that matter), just a simple now it's on, now it's off, and I can still use my expression pedal normally.

This might turn into a "wish" to have something switch-based attached to it like the amp block's boost feature, but before going there, I figured I'd ask if there's already a way to accomplish this and I'm just missing it.

EDIT: Related...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ected-to-mfc101-mark-iii.113642/#post-1359285

...WOW!

I spent the other night playing around with the bias tremolo in the amp block. This thing is glorious! It's exactly what I've been trying (and failing) to get from the regular trem block, something that's less of an actual tremolo and more of a pulsating "vibe" kind of effect.

Swampy. Goodness.

BUT...

...does anyone know of a way to turn it on/off with an IA switch? I can attach a modifier and set a slope so steep that just barely backing off my expression pedal will open it up, but what I'd prefer is a positive "click, it's on" kind of setup. I don't really need to modify the depth (or rate, for that matter), just a simple now it's on, now it's off, and I can still use my expression pedal normally.

This might turn into a "wish" to have something switch-based attached to it like the amp block's boost feature, but before going there, I figured I'd ask if there's already a way to accomplish this and I'm just missing it.

EDIT: Related...
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...ected-to-mfc101-mark-iii.113642/#post-1359285

I do it this way:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/wildcard.84593/

Amp block tremolo sounds great with some amps, but it's not very usable with others. Depends on the power amp modeling. The drive block works very well for those warm phasey tremolo sounds as well. Select the FET Preamp model and set clipping type to NULL. Assign an LFO to the mix parameter, and then use the high and low cut parameters to control the tremolo throb separately for the highs and lows. The high and low pass filters create phase cancellation based tremolo that has a very cool phasey vibe to it. Works more like the Harmonic Vibrato found in some old Brownface Fender amps. You can experiment with different drive types for different textures. Just make sure clipping type is set to NULL or you'll get too much distortion. FET Preamp seems to be the most transparent sounding one. You can also tweek the LFO shape, duty, etc, and the mix knob modifer graph shape to fine tune the tremolo's shape as well.

Last edited:
Amp block tremolo sounds great with some amps, but it's not very usable with others. Depends on the power amp modeling. The drive block works very well for those warm phasey tremolo sounds as well. Select the FET Preamp model and set clipping type to NULL. Assign an LFO to the mix parameter, and then use the high and low cut parameters to control the tremolo throb separately for the highs and lows. The high and low pass filters create phase cancellation based tremolo that has a very cool phasey vibe to it. Works more like the Harmonic Vibrato found in some old Brownface Fender amps. You can experiment with different drive types for different textures. Just make sure clipping type is set to NULL or you'll get too much distortion. FET Preamp seems to be the most transparent sounding one. You can also tweek the LFO shape, duty, etc, and the mix knob modifer graph shape to fine tune the tremolo's shape as well.
sounds very nice... you have a preset by chance?

Hubertus, that looks perfect! I'll try it out tonight.

Fender, also a really great idea! I wonder how the tape drive would do. Another thing to try out!

Thanks guys!

to turn it on and off, just attach an external controller to the depth parameter

That's kind of what I'm doing now, except that the expression pedal I'm using is also tied to my volume (amp block master vol, but same idea)... I can back off the expression to get the depth to kick on, but lose some MV in the process.

Are you saying there's a way (aside from what was posted above) to make the depth "jump" from, say, 0% to 90%? no 1-89% between?

Back
Top Bottom