Am I thinking this through right? (Midi CC and IA's)

9-Pin

OK, I have read through the manual, the Wiki, and done a search on the forum. I think I know the answer, but I am looking for some confirmation.

First some background - I have had my Standard for a year or so, and I have mainly used in only a patched based system. I have now decided that it will be easier to set up 5 basic patches and then use IA's to turn effects on and off. My controller is a Midi-Mate (set up using Oddb0d's great tutorial).

Let's say that I want to have Delay1 available on every patch. I put Delay1 in each patch, then assign the controller number in the I/O menu. This would make this a global control, right? Now, if I wanted to have chorus on my clean patch, but rotary on my "blues" patch, would it be best to set up the controller in the modifier of the effect in the patch, or could I assign the same controller value in the I/O menu and it would only turn on or off the effect that is present in the patch? Or would either work? Is there another way to accomplish this, that I am not thinking of?

If I want the delay on, when I go to my patch, I need to make sure that the state of the effect is the same on both the Axe and the Pedal and hit store in both cases. Correct?

Also, each time I toggle an effect on or off, the edit light on the Axe will come on. Nothing will get stored unless I choose store.

Sorry for the noob questions, but it's time for another paradigm shift. :D

9-Pin said:
Let's say that I want to have Delay1 available on every patch. I put Delay1 in each patch, then assign the controller number in the I/O menu. This would make this a global control, right? Now, if I wanted to have chorus on my clean patch, but rotary on my "blues" patch, would it be best to set up the controller in the modifier of the effect in the patch, or could I assign the same controller value in the I/O menu and it would only turn on or off the effect that is present in the patch? Or would either work? Is there another way to accomplish this, that I am not thinking of?

I would assign the same controller value in the I/O menu. that's the easiest way.
The other way would implement that you need to set a modifier for each patch

9-Pin said:
If I want the delay on, when I go to my patch, I need to make sure that the state of the effect is the same on both the Axe and the Pedal and hit store in both cases. Correct?

yes

9-Pin said:
Also, each time I toggle an effect on or off, the edit light on the Axe will come on. Nothing will get stored unless I choose store.

that's correct

9-Pin said:
yes

not entirely correct... you can have your midi controller be the "Brain" so to speak, and leave everything bypassed on the axe, and use the controller to turn the cc's on/off with each patch.. just however you feel comfortable programming.

dpeterson said:
9-Pin said:
yes

not entirely correct... you can have your midi controller be the "Brain" so to speak, and leave everything bypassed on the axe, and use the controller to turn the cc's on/off with each patch.. just however you feel comfortable programming.

The only thing youo might be aware of is if you have a drive block set in the on state on the Axe-fx and off on the controller, you can get a brief volume spike as it switches then turns off the effect.

Back
Top Bottom