Am I a Standard or Ultra?

sandmannn69

Experienced
Having made the decision to buy an Axe-Fx, I am still torn between which model would satisfy my needs. I guess the best way to determine that would be to list my playing style preferences and get some input from users.

My main playing preferences are
BLUES (clean/overdriven, SRV)
CLASSIC ROCK (Zeppelin, Cream, ZZTop, Eagles, Skynrd)
HARD ROCK (VH, Sabbath, Whitesnake, Scorps, Ozzy, 80s metal)

As you can see my preferences generally don't require a lot of FX, which is why I'm leaning towards the Standard model. One thing that concerns me though is the possibility of downloading and using patches developed by others on their Ultra model which may not work on the Standard due to incompatibility with the patch (FX/amps/cabs/etc.). Is this a common problem for Standard users?

Two schools of thought on this subject, buy it even though I don't need in the event that some day I might use it. Or buy what you need and don't worry about things you'll never use and just play.

As to presets for the Standard it depends on how complex a preset has been built on the Ultra, dual amp and cab sims with a plethora of effects won't happen on a Standard. For the type of music your playing I would say the standard will more than fit the bill. But if you have a use for a multi band compressor, looper or feel the need to make sounds like a cello or a space ship then the Ultra is for you :mrgreen: .

Sixstring said:
Two schools of thought on this subject, buy it even though I don't need in the event that some day I might use it. Or buy what you need and don't worry about things you'll never use and just play.

As to presets for the Standard it depends on how complex a preset has been built on the Ultra, dual amp and cab sims with a plethora of effects won't happen on a Standard. For the type of music your playing I would say the standard will more than fit the bill. But if you have a use for a multi band compressor, looper or feel the need to make sounds like a cello or a space ship then the Ultra is for you :mrgreen: .

Thanks for the info, Sixstring. Pretty much sums up/confirms what I've thinking. The looper was about the only Ultra feature I was interested in, and I think my RC-20 will still suffice for that. You just saved me $500 :D

Warning: Sixstring requests 20% commision on all savings due to input from postings.

...comments in this thread do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of cliff chase and fractal audio, Tom king and atomic, axe fx user forum and or jealous line6 indentured servants. All commision percentages are subject to increase without warning. Please consult a physician when plugging into a axe-fx for the first time without a helmet. Thank you and have a Rockin day.

sandmannn69 said:
Sixstring said:

Thanks for the info, Sixstring. Pretty much sums up/confirms what I've thinking. The looper was about the only Ultra feature I was interested in, and I think my RC-20 will still suffice for that. You just saved me $500 :D

almost enough for the mfc.....

From experience... I have discovered that I am a Standard, I bought my Ultra (in almost new condition) from a forum member. After 6 months of working with it I haven't even come close to scratching the surface of it's capabilities. I probably could have purchased a Standard and been a Happy Camper. Now that I have the Ultra would I downgrade???? No way!
I can tell you the actual cost of owning an Axe-Fx can get up there by the time you add MIDI controller, a MIDI interface for programming and finally a monitoring system (be it FRFR or amp and speaker cabs). You'll save some bucks and be good to go with the Standard!! You'll need the extra $$ to get the peripherals!! XmP

xmentalpilot said:
From experience... I have discovered that I am a Standard, I bought my Ultra (in almost new condition) from a forum member. After 6 months of working with it I haven't even come close to scratching the surface of it's capabilities. I probably could have purchased a Standard and been a Happy Camper. Now that I have the Ultra would I downgrade???? No way!
I can tell you the actual cost of owning an Axe-Fx can get up there by the time you add MIDI controller, a MIDI interface for programming and finally a monitoring system (be it FRFR or amp and speaker cabs). You'll save some bucks and be good to go with the Standard!! You'll need the extra $$ to get the peripherals!! XmP

Good point about the extras. The MIDI controller is only needed for playing out, correct?

sandmannn69 said:
Good point about the extras. The MIDI controller is only needed for playing out, correct?

Define "needed". I myself use the volume pedal on my midi controller quite a bit when recording. Because I don't use the noise gate as it eats some of your tone. And I like to minimize noise - using the volume knob isn't fast enough for some things.

Not to mention the other possibilities of turning effect blocks on and off (or changing patches) during a take. So I disagree with that statement.

yeah the answer is so easy. If you can afford it, but an ultra. That should be the be-all and end-all of debate on this topic.

The axe is like a whole new world - how can you know what exact fx, fx chain routings etc etc you will be using in say a year's time when you dont even know what the unit is truly capable of? i now regret not forking out for an ultra.

Hey anybody in Sydney Aust want to swap their ultra for my standard and $500??
I'm waiting..........................................................................................................................

Back
Top Bottom