Always Check Global Settings

Axe-Master
I just got home from a string of shows on the road and thought I'd share this little ripper with you guys. I'm sure you'll appreciate the irony with this story given how much advice I give usually starts with "have you checked that global cab modelling is ON?".

We just upgraded the band monitoring system to a Behringer XR18/Senn IEM setup, which has been sounding awesome so far. However at the first show of this run I was really struggling to get my guitar to sound right in my ears; it was buzzy and tinny in my ears which I put down to being tired from a long drive (over 7 hours) as well as adapting to the new world of IEM. I applied some EQ on the XR18 that managed to get it sitting a bit better (low passing at around 5k and pulling out/boosting others similar) but it was still disappointing.

Then I remembered. I did a gig the previous week using a power amp and a cab, and I disabled global cab modelling for that gig. Man did I feel like a doofus! Switching it back on immediately made it sound alive in my ears and our singer/bass player immediately turned to me saying "hey guitar sounds way better now" ( the drummer didn't bat an eyelid though :p). More importantly the tone was inspiring and I enjoyed the shows so much more.

We all found it pretty hilarious after the show, but I really can't stress it enough; always check your global settings before a gig!

I hate it when that happens,well at least you haven’t grab your electric,put on your headphones and play for a few minutes than realize you haven’t turn anything on .Done it more than once:)

Switching it back on immediately made it sound alive in my ears and our singer/bass player immediately turned to me saying "hey guitar sounds way better now" ( the drummer didn't bat an eyelid though :p).
I remember this happening to me as well in my Axe-Fx Ultra days. The only difference was that once people started commenting on the sound being better now, this was my response:
615D%2Bu4-VsL._SX425_.jpg

But yes, our drummer didn't understand what the fuzz was all about either. He was most likely practicing some drum fills as loudly as possible as we were trying to have a conversation. You know how it is. :D

"Guitar tone? What do you mean?? Am I supposed to be listening to the rest of the band?? Get me a beer will ya ... I'll pay you back next week."
Deep in the African jungle, a safari was camped for the night. In the darkness, distant drums began a relentless throbbing that continued until dawn. The safari members were disturbed, but the guide reassured them: "Drums good. When drums stop, very bad." Every night the drumming continued, and every night the guide reiterated, "Drums good. When drums stop, VERY bad." This continues for several days until one morning the drumming suddenly stops and all the natives panic and run screaming. The man asks the guide what's the matter? The guide looking very frightened says: "When drums stop, VERY, VERY bad," he said. "Why is it bad?" asked a member of the safari. "Because when drums stop, bass solo begin!"

Now now let's not get carried away - we need our rhythm section - who else is there to look at accusingly when we play clams on the guitar?

Besides that, our drummer is a sensitive soul, last time we gave him a hard time he attempted suicide by throwing himself behind a train.

I have done things WAY dumber than that Leon. When your PA amp does not work and you have it halfway apart only to find you didn’t plug it in, then we can talk about dufus.

I have done things WAY dumber than that Leon. When your PA amp does not work and you have it halfway apart only to find you didn’t plug it in, then we can talk about dufus.

Or I wondering why the hell I dont have any sound at all... and the guitar cable is plugged into phones output...

Back
Top Bottom