Alternatives to Gibson Custom?

JD_

Inspired
I've been playing guitar my whole life, and gig part time in a classic rock and 80's metal cover band. Over the last few years, I've bought a few decent guitars, but have recently been considering treating myself to a really nice guitar. I'm gravitating towards a Les Paul Custom, perhaps even the current 60th anniversary R9, and really like the sound of Custombuckers. The price is pretty out there though, and I know some think that Gibsons are very overpriced (@2112). Any suggestions for alternatives in a high end guitar that may be better value than the Customs, keeping in mind the classic/hard rock lane I'm in?

I tried the Petrucci ESP Majesty, which is a great guitar, and very versatile (loved the piezo option), but I don't love the aesthetics and the tone was a bit too metal for a lot of what I do.I also checked out some PRS, but they didn't grab my attention like the LP Customs. Thanks for any ideas.

Consider The Heritage. Made in the original Kalamazoo factory. I own 2. I own a H555 and a Sweet 16. Both are great guitars. The 16 is a fabulous jazz box and the 555 is like a Gibson 335.

Suhr Aura!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 11.42.45.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 11.42.45.png
    442 KB · Views: 23
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 11.42.23.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-27 at 11.42.23.png
    407.5 KB · Views: 23
PRS Singlecut McCarty 594. Basically a 58 Les Paul. The 85/15 LT pickups are perfect for Classic Rock/80's Metal, not too harsh. PRS quality is far and above much, much, much better than Gibson. Although I would think that Suhr and Tom Anderson would be better than Gibson also. I recently purchased one of the brand new 2019 Les Paul Standard 60's versions for $2500. Stupid move. The guitar arrived with the pickup selector hanging out of the body. The nut that screws down over the switch to hold it in place on the body was made of cheap plastic! Not even heavy duty plastic, cheap model car plastic! Play authentic........yeah right. Play authentic junk is more like it. Don't waste your hard earned money on a Gibson. Buy something else, anything else........just not a Gibson.

Try before buy, if it’s possible.

I’ve got a Les Paul Classic and a Custom, and I can’t say one is better (or worse), they are different. I’ve got a PRS but I’ve never hooked with it.
But it’s just a matter of taste. My favorite guitar is a Caparison...

Buy used. $2K on the used market can get you $4K new price.

Should be able to get an LP Custom for under $2KUSD.

I borrowed a 594 SC for Axe fest and it was sublime. I picked it up 10 minutes before my show, tuned it down from standard to drop C and it didn't miss a beat. Basically all the things you like about a vintage style LP with none of the time you don't.

@Admin M@ your Anderson haunts my dreams. One of the finest strat style guitars I've ever played.

I borrowed a 594 SC for Axe fest and it was sublime. I picked it up 10 minutes before my show, tuned it down from standard to drop C and it didn't miss a beat. Basically all the things you like about a vintage style LP with none of the time you don't.

@Admin M@ your Anderson haunts my dreams. One of the finest strat style guitars I've ever played.

I wanted to ask you about that guitar
How did it compare to you sc245
I see some people saying the pickups are more classic but watching your axefest vid you dont seem to have any trouble getting your tones

Have you ever played the Tremonti BTW??

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hard to spend that much money on some of these without getting to play them first, but I guess that's the deal with these higher end guitars.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Hard to spend that much money on some of these without getting to play them first, but I guess that's the deal with these higher end guitars.

Not really. Make the trip to a store that carries what you want. If it's too far for a one-day affair, make a weekend out of it.

I wanted to ask you about that guitar
How did it compare to you sc245
I see some people saying the pickups are more classic but watching your axefest vid you dont seem to have any trouble getting your tones

Have you ever played the Tremonti BTW??
Definitely a little more of a vintage vibe so the cleans were nicer. Had no problem making it chunk though.

The Tremonti is great but I prefer a hardtail bridge.

Back
Top Bottom