Alternatives to EV PXM-12MP and CLR?

I absolutely agree. I was already planning to get one of each but I also like getting feedback from others to see if my findings are similar. I think I'm already sold on the EVs. I want the EQ option since it makes it more versatile for other use cases.

I bought two used headrushes (108s) because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like them at first but then I discovered one had a tweeter issue that, somehow, I managed to get resolved without costing me a cent (thanks inMusic). After replacing the tweeter they sounded pretty good for an acoustic guitar/vocal jam and for a few living room rock star karaoke gatherings I hosted. You definitely don't want them on the floor or near corners though. I would imagine the boomy issue is worse on the 112s but I can't confirm this.
No idea on the 112 but I reallllly disliked the 108 I tried. I'm coming from always playing through a real cab though. It was just not even close. The EVs, at least initially, I've felt at least can get in the ballpark. Honestly I'm still wondering if I'll prefer them overall to my real cabs. Okay, maybe that's a bit ambitious but initial impressions are quite promising.

Honestly I'm still wondering if I'll prefer them overall to my real cabs. Okay, maybe that's a bit ambitious but initial impressions are quite promising.
Two different things entirely! I found that I started using FR a lot more than a guitar cab to the point where my guitar cabs turned into big chunky flat surfaces that were taking up too much room and collected clutter and dust. I will admit I do miss a good guitar cab sound from time to time!

A pair of PXM's on short stands kill! and will stand up against any 412 and will have no comb filtering, beming and have better coverage to boot! In my book and for what I'm doing it's a good trade off from hearing a raw cab sound. ;)

Last edited:
Two different things entirely! I found that I started using FR a lot more than a guitar cab to the point where my guitar cabs turned into big chunky flat surfaces that were taking up too much room and collected clutter and dust. I will admit I do miss a good guitar cab sound from time to time!

A pair of PMX's on short stands kill! and will stand up against any 412 and will have no comb filtering, beming and have better coverage to boot! In my book and for what I'm doing it's a good trade off from hearing a raw cab sound. ;)
The difficulty for me is that I had a few custom oversized 2x12s built a long time ago and I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to them. Moreover I recently found not just one of my holy grail 4x12s (early 2000's Mesa straight/slant), but two of them! And I found them locally for pretty good deals. I'm loath to get rid of those too. Luckily I do have space in the house for them all so I don't need to sell them but I'm starting to think about it.

I also sent the short stands I had back to Amazon. I didn't even try them lol. I realized that in my space, I really like the low profile of them on the ground. It's just way better from an aesthetics standpoint, so I didn't even bother. I'll post a pic of the space later.

P.S. It's PXM, not PMX! :)

Last edited:
The difficulty for me is that I had a few custom oversized 2x12s built a long time ago and I have a bit of a sentimental attachment to them. Moreover I recently found not just one of my holy grail 4x12s (early 2000's Mesa straight/slant), but two of them! And I found them locally for pretty good deals. I'm loath to get rid of those too. Luckily I do have space in the house for them all so I don't need to sell them but I'm starting to think about it.

I also sent the short stands I had back to Amazon. I didn't even try them lol. I realized that in my space, I really like the low profile of them on the ground. It's just way better from an aesthetics standpoint, so I didn't even bother. I'll post a pic of the space later.

P.S. It's PXM, not PMX! :)
Ha, I'm not the greatest typist I also grew up dyslexic and still deal with the leftovers.

Those are good cabs they have a solid knock to them for sure! I used to own a pair of 212 V30 Recto cabs that were just in your face! The set of 412 Lee Jackson cabs that were really nothing special materials wise were just poplar cabs with British made Vintage 30's.

They were so well broken in (16 years at the time) and had a glorious sound to them. Both were a huge PITA to haul around, once I wrapped my head around FR the cabs didn't seem as important any longer.

You could always put the (PXM's) on top of your cabs and give it a go! For small backline type gigs they really do the trick.

Yeah those 4x12s are awesome but I definitely wouldn't want to be hauling them around!

After my initial a/b test, I concluded that the EVs don't sound like the cabs (obviously) but can get kiiiiinda in the ballpark with a bunch of EQ'ing. They also get plenty loud and plenty punchy. That was good enough for me to mentally "accept" the EVs to the point where I put the cabs away.

Out of necessity I also took a few days off from playing. Now when I go back it'll be with fresh ears. I'll discard all the EQ changes I made while AB'ing with the cabs and start from scratch. So instead of using the cabs as a baseline I'll be using the EVs as the baseline and making any EQ tweaks from that perspective.

Yeah those 4x12s are awesome but I definitely wouldn't want to be hauling them around!

After my initial a/b test, I concluded that the EVs don't sound like the cabs (obviously) but can get kiiiiinda in the ballpark with a bunch of EQ'ing. They also get plenty loud and plenty punchy. That was good enough for me to mentally "accept" the EVs to the point where I put the cabs away.

Out of necessity I also took a few days off from playing. Now when I go back it'll be with fresh ears. I'll discard all the EQ changes I made while AB'ing with the cabs and start from scratch. So instead of using the cabs as a baseline I'll be using the EVs as the baseline and making any EQ tweaks from that perspective.
Having the cabs as a reference makes it a lot easier to dial in your sounds to get close to a cab sound ! At least that's what I found works the best. The little 112 Recto cabs are pretty cool too for the smaller gig! I built a pair of them once. loaded then with V30's and powered them with a a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp! They worked really well but obviously sounded small when compared to the 412's.

Having the cabs as a reference makes it a lot easier to dial in your sounds to get close to a cab sound ! At least that's what I found works the best. The little 112 Recto cabs are pretty cool too for the smaller gig! I built a pair of them once. loaded then with V30's and powered them with a a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp! They worked really well but obviously sounded small when compared to the 412's.
Yeah I had one of those Recto 1x12s a long time ago when I had a Mark 5:25. Nice little setup for sure. I also had a pair of the Mesa horizontal 2x12s when I was using the AxeFX II and a Matrix power amp. Then I had a Mesa vertical 2x12 when I was using a TC-50. I love Mesa cabs!

Yeah I had one of those Recto 1x12s a long time ago when I had a Mark 5:25. Nice little setup for sure. I also had a pair of the Mesa horizontal 2x12s when I was using the AxeFX II and a Matrix power amp. Then I had a Mesa vertical 2x12 when I was using a TC-50. I love Mesa cabs!
I like the vertical cabs the most! You get better horizontal dispersion from the design! If I were to ever get another guitar cab it would be a Greenback / V30 loaded vertical 212! Though I think it would be made with Poplar! I like the added warmth and resonance of Poplar over the stiff hard knock of the Baltic birch.

I've had good success with the older (previous gen) EV ELX 112p - that's not coaxial, but it's worked well for me, and plenty of volume. They're also repairable - although I gotta drive up to Dallas to get them done, as no one in town will touch a speaker repair other than the EV-licensed folks. I'm still using it live, but currently mired in the endless research phase for my next solution lol (and without much of a budget to execute it)

I also have the QSC K12 (not 12.2, the earlier gen) and found it overly harsh/brassy. Sometimes I think what people regard as great speakers for PA are judged by how they make vocals 'cut through', so maybe not necessarily flat or ideal for guitar tones. That said, I have played though all-QSC systems and it sounded great - but I wasn't the one on the desk setting EQ parameters.

I like to have my speakers on the floor to feel a little more bottom end oomph, depending on the stage.

Last edited:
It seems like powered coaxial speaker is the way to go, as opposed to a speaker and horn? I hadn't given that much thought, coaxial vs speaker and horn, but it seems everything suggested and preferred here, is just that. Thank you. I appreciate all the great info!

I just saw a Turbo Sound TFX122M-AN speaker. Turbosound used to be a quality product back in the day. Not sure how they are now that Behringer owns them.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-flashline-series-2-way-stage-monitor-12-inch
I got a TXF122M-AN. It's nice. Not accurate like my CLR's but with the built-in DSP you can get a good tone from it. For the price, you can't go wrong. Certainly better than Headrush.

I got a TXF122M-AN. It's nice. Not accurate like my CLR's but with the built-in DSP you can get a good tone from it. For the price, you can't go wrong. Certainly better than Headrush.
Yeah I really like mine. I just set the position to 'floor' in the settings and it sounds great. And it being coax I can move around and it still sounds good.

Its not powered, but the Community compact coaxial floor monitors MX8 and MX10 sound amazing. To my ears they sound just as good, if not better, than comparable JBL floor monitors. They are pricy - given that they are not powered and have no DSP, but super nice! I'd stay away from Behringer, it is nice that they cannibalize their higher brand lines technology for the Behringer line, but quality and longevity are both issues - IMO. Good luck!

For reference: https://www.fullcompass.com/prod/19...Co-pOn6EZV9PUEb1vNcXhsJR96g6M9BxoCT-gQAvD_BwE

I bought two used headrushes (108s) because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I didn't like them at first but then I discovered one had a tweeter issue that, somehow, I managed to get resolved without costing me a cent (thanks inMusic). After replacing the tweeter they sounded pretty good for an acoustic guitar/vocal jam and for a few living room rock star karaoke gatherings I hosted. You definitely don't want them on the floor or near corners though. I would imagine the boomy issue is worse on the 112s but I can't confirm this.
You also don’t want to push them hard. They don’t have much reserve power and can sound really nasty when they are pushed into distortion trying to keep up with a loud band.

A friend of mine started with a pair to use with my old AX8, and quickly bought a pair of the 112 cabinets when the 108s were getting buried on stage. The 112s were loud enough but were not overly punchy and clear, even after major EQing. (He’s a very experienced, constantly-playing guitarist who actually wears out his modelers from use.)

He switched to some QSC cabs that were a night and day difference, crisp, punchy, and clean even at ungodly volume. My EVs matched the sound and volume but are a bit smaller and are designed to sit at my feet or immediately behind me, instead of more like a backline which is how he positions them.

I also have the QSC K12 (not 12.2, the earlier gen) and found it overly harsh/brassy. Sometimes I think what people regard as great speakers for PA are judged by how they make vocals 'cut through', so maybe not necessarily flat or ideal for guitar tones. That said, I have played though all-QSC systems and it sounded great - but I wasn't the one on the desk setting EQ parameters.

I like to have my speakers on the floor to feel a little more bottom end oomph, depending on the stage.
I think you’re right about how vocals cut through being the determining factor. And treating the modelers output as if it’s a vocalist and EQing that way results in a horrible-sounding guitar tone.

A FOH engineer thought he was helping me one evening by, unknown-to-me, routing my FOH feed to some side fill monitors and re-EQing it. It was bright and piercing without any lows, and I thought my rig had fried something and tried adjusting the feed to my EV with no improvement. Finally I gave up trying and limped through the night. At tear down he asked how I liked having my feed through the side fills… um… “side fills? Huh?” and he told me what he’d done. I nicely told him to never, ever, do that again, that my EV is plenty loud for me, and the next morning set my rig up in the garage and turned it up to confirm that it was all working correctly. My girlfriend told me later, after tearing it down and putting it all away and returning to the house, that it sounded really good out there. Heh. 50 feet away through multiple adobe walls in a separate building she could still hear it. :)

My friend had one of these Kustom KPM 10 powered monitors. 100 to 150 bucks. Sounded really good w FM3. I picked up a passive CLR for 125 on CL and it sounds very good w Fryette PS2a and FM9

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230914-151753_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230914-151753_Gallery.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 7
I saw it on CL and emailed him quickly. Super nice guy who was selling it. He said he was surprised at how many emails he got after mine lol. When i got home with it he had emailed me to say if i ever wanted to sell it bacl to him let him know.
Well you got a really good deal on that box!

I think you’re right about how vocals cut through being the determining factor. And treating the modelers output as if it’s a vocalist and EQing that way results in a horrible-sounding guitar tone.

A FOH engineer thought he was helping me one evening by, unknown-to-me, routing my FOH feed to some side fill monitors and re-EQing it. It was bright and piercing without any lows, and I thought my rig had fried something and tried adjusting the feed to my EV with no improvement. Finally I gave up trying and limped through the night. At tear down he asked how I liked having my feed through the side fills… um… “side fills? Huh?” and he told me what he’d done. I nicely told him to never, ever, do that again, that my EV is plenty loud for me, and the next morning set my rig up in the garage and turned it up to confirm that it was all working correctly. My girlfriend told me later, after tearing it down and putting it all away and returning to the house, that it sounded really good out there. Heh. 50 feet away through multiple adobe walls in a separate building she could still hear it. :)
yep, this is my number one issue with playing festival stages - the monitor engineers all have a really bright EQ on the monitors, because the priority is vocals. So they typically boost somewhere in the 1.5-2kHz range, which is where the harshness lives for guitar - and they also tend to cut the bass / high-pass pretty significantly. Even when you ask them if your guitar is flat EQ'd, they say yes, because the channel it's plugged into is flat, but once it goes through the monitor bus EQ, it's ice-pick city. If I can, I bring my own monitor to have on stage behind me and avoid having guitar through the monitors.

It's a drag, because the sound is unpleasant, and also the feel is really awful - the transients are really exaggerated, so it sounds percussive with little sustain. You have to just trust that it sounds good out front, which, 90 percent of the time, it will.

Unfortunately most sound guys are still used to the guitarist having way too much stage volume and only needing to provide significant monitoring help to vocals, maybe some kick drum.

I did get a chance to play through the PXM-12MP at a gig recently, but it was being fed from a monitor bus that had some sort of EQ muckery afoot, so I can't really say what I thought of it.

It still surprises me that a lot of live sound folks or guitarists aren't familiar with modeling, or with Fractal - every single gig I play I end up explaining what it is to at least one or two guitarists. One guy recently came up and complimented me on not needing 'all those pedals, just a simple setup' and I had to tell him - oh no, I've got ALL the pedals, they're just all in that box :sweatsmile:

Back
Top Bottom