Alternative to the old Mission SP2, dual function exp-pedal?

Looking for a exp-pedal that can switch between two different exp-pedals in one,
i.e used as a volume pedal, then press the tio switch, it activates say a wah or whammy block

Is there anything like this on the market, I heard that the old Mission SP2's had this function
but that there are discontinued. This is of course to save pedal board real estate .

The Mission SP1 has a switch that is an additional control source. You can use it to swap the bypass status of the wah and volume block at the same time.

Mission Expressionator has a switch that toggles between 3 outs, and saves the current value of each when switching. This is the most flexible as it allows you to play your wah at half-volume (for example).

Source Audio Reflex has 6 outs (3 1/4", 3 MIDI CC) and you can select which are active via MIDI.

The Mission SP1 has a switch that is an additional control source. You can use it to swap the bypass status of the wah and volume block at the same time.

Mission Expressionator has a switch that toggles between 3 outs, and saves the current value of each when switching. This is the most flexible as it allows you to play your wah at half-volume (for example).

Source Audio Reflex has 6 outs (3 1/4", 3 MIDI CC) and you can select which are active via MIDI.
Hmm, so in essence, the SP1 would do the same thing. That is, say I have it in volume as standard, push the switch
and it switches to the wah block, turns off the volume block, and I have use of the exp as wah instead?
That is what I'm going for, don't need volume and wah active at the same time so :)

Yes the SP-1 and SP25M-PRO both have a switch output to control effect bypass states or anything else. I have the SP25M-PRO and prefer it's longer travel distance.

Check out Paranoid's post:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/double-expression-from-my-sp-1-mission.109364/

I have not actually done the mod yet but if you just want one pedal and are OK with only having a volume or a wah in each preset, I think could suit your needs. As he mentions, the issue is clicking on the button and then remembering to push the pedal back down (assuming you want it at 0 to start).

That mod is only necessary if you want to use a global volume setup and specifically don't want to use a volume block in your presets. The SP1 will work with both a volume block and wah block in a single preset. Don't use autoengage and simply assign the switch to the bypass of both the volume and the wah blocks. Invert the Min/Max status of the bypass modifier on one of those blocks. Each hit of the SP1 switch will turn the volume on and wah off, or vice verse.

It does mean you have to go full volume before switching to wah, and you have to go to toe cranked wah to switch to volume, but that limitation exists with the SP2 as well.

It does mean you have to go full volume before switching to wah, and you have to go to toe cranked wah to switch to volume, but that limitation exists with the SP2 as well.

I used to have an SP2 that I wanted to use for Wah and then some alternate function per preset (whammy, delay mix, ...). But whenever I'd switch to the other function, that unconnected output would always go to 100% meaning that the Wah block was engaged in toe position. I emailed Matrix support and I even tried to change the soldering internally to somehow get it to switch off to 0%, but it didn't seem to be able to be done without much more involved electronics.

So to me, this function ended up completely useless and why I sold it. The SP1 seems to able to be configured to be actually useable with the switch engaging each block.

But whenever I'd switch to the other function, that unconnected output would always go to 100% meaning that the Wah block was engaged in toe position.

This can be fixed by changing your auto engage off value to 95% instead of 5%. That will make it turn off at toe down like a traditional wah pedal.

That mod is only necessary if you want to use a global volume setup and specifically don't want to use a volume block in your presets. The SP1 will work with both a volume block and wah block in a single preset. Don't use autoengage and simply assign the switch to the bypass of both the volume and the wah blocks. Invert the Min/Max status of the bypass modifier on one of those blocks. Each hit of the SP1 switch will turn the volume on and wah off, or vice verse.

I read up about the SP1, and it seems to have one TRS out, and one TS out.
These must both be connected I take it? Like the TRS to Pedal 1, and the TS to Pedal 2?

EDIT: Come to think of it, these same function could then be set up using any EXP-pedal,
and just sacrificing one button on the AX8 and program that to switch between volume and wah block.
Perhaps that is a valid option then, because then I could program that switch in to a scene or something, where my "lead scene" switches on the lead setting, delay, boost etc, and at the same time
switches between volume block and wah?

I read up about the SP1, and it seems to have one TRS out, and one TS out.
These must both be connected I take it? Like the TRS to Pedal 1, and the TS to Pedal 2?

EDIT: Come to think of it, these same function could then be set up using any EXP-pedal,
and just sacrificing one button on the AX8 and program that to switch between volume and wah block.
Perhaps that is a valid option then, because then I could program that switch in to a scene or something, where my "lead scene" switches on the lead setting, delay, boost etc, and at the same time
switches between volume block and wah?

Or you can buy two like I did :)

the only down fall to using a switch on the ax-8 to alter the path of the pedal is the time it takes to move your foot to turn it on and of. this will be no trouble with wah with auto engage because most do not have to quickly adjust volume before and after wahwa us, but if you are using the pedal for synth effect or such for special effects it can be a bother.

Back
Top Bottom